What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102 spindle mounted dividing head, how rare are these?

RayKehrhan

Aluminum
Hello,

I picked up a few items at an estate sale. Among them is this Schaublin 102 spindle mounted dividing head.. I'm curious as to how rare these really are.. Can a Schaublin expert tell me?

thanks
Ray

IMG_1752.jpg IMG_1753.jpg IMG_1756.jpg IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1758.jpg

They're pretty rare, but not nearly as rare as dividers for the 70. Hopefully you got the rest of the plates with it, as those by themselves are really really rare and certainly cost a bundle from Schaublin. There are a few variations, mostly to do with the driven gear; some are fiber, some (like yours) are properly made to mate with a worm, and the most recent ones I've seen have the driven gear with teeth cut at an angle to match the helix of the worm but straight cut. I like the fiber personally as you can give it a sort of preload with the worm. On some the plunger will lock in the 'up' position when rotated 90 degrees, which is kind of nice.

The driven gear has a separate hub, there were hubs available to match w20 or w25 spindles.

Complete sets seem to go for 6-800 bucks.

One of these was included with an Aciera f2 mill and I couldn't figure out how it was used with the Aciera indexer. It wasn't until I got a 102 that I discovered what it was for. Still only have used it a couple of times but glad I didn't sell it. Probably rarer in the states. I've only seen them for sale on Ricardo or European ebay.

These are rare now, even in Europe however 20 years ago they were found quite often fitted on the 102 and 102TR's (Earlier Round Head machines not the later Square Head "N" models.

Hand on to it until you need something more useful for your workshop ... then trade within Europe

Regards

John

Schaublin made a mirror image model that fit on their mills, they can be adapted to the 102 but you need a mirror to see the index- just something to keep in mind.

Back