What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102 VM headstock removal help

PeteDog

Plastic
Hi there,
my name is Pete, I come from Czech Republic and I work as ndt and welding expert. As I already have enough of that at work I got me a dog and became interested into machining. Had some tiny bench MDB 3500 lathe from China and after looking at old nice machines at this forum, I have finaly got one Schaublin, 102 VM, probably manufactured in 50's.
I thought, I will just recondition it a bit, change the belt and use it. Unfortunatelly, I got stuck at removing the headstock. Have spent quite some time, but couldn't find anybody that has ever done it on the Schaublin I have and documented it. I have removed two eccentric bolts from behind the headstock and removed two inbus bolts, that connected the headstock from the bottom, through the "leg", what a horrible place to loose it.. The headstock got loose, but cannot move it towards support, neither up(4 mm only). Should there be any more bolts or pins, maybe, it could be connected to the gearbox. I have cleaned it as much as I could, not to have wedge effect from debries , when tried to push it out.
Unfortunatelly, as I am not sure what year it is, I cannot find it in the right manual. Have been checking 1953.
Any input would be appreciated. I would like to add a pic, but cannot find the button. Will do my best though.
Regards,
Pete

Hi there,
my name is Pete, I come from Czech Republic and I work as ndt and welding expert. As I already have enough of that at work I got me a dog and became interested into machining. Had some tiny bench MDB 3500 lathe from China and after looking at old nice machines at this forum, I have finaly got one Schaublin, 102 VM, probably manufactured in 50's.
I thought, I will just recondition it a bit, change the belt and use it. Unfortunatelly, I got stuck at removing the headstock. Have spent quite some time, but couldn't find anybody that has ever done it on the Schaublin I have and documented it. I have removed two eccentric bolts from behind the headstock and removed two inbus bolts, that connected the headstock from the bottom, through the "leg", what a horrible place to loose it.. The headstock got loose, but cannot move it towards support, neither up(4 mm only). Should there be any more bolts or pins, maybe, it could be connected to the gearbox. I have cleaned it as much as I could, not to have wedge effect from debries , when tried to push it out.
Unfortunatelly, as I am not sure what year it is, I cannot find it in the right manual. Have been checking 1953.
Any input would be appreciated. I would like to add a pic, but cannot find the button. Will do my best though.
Regards,
Pete

That's a fine lathe, not a freakin' bicycle nor a wheelbarrow, so I'm at a total loss as to WHY you felt compelled to remove the headstock any more than you'd remove your dog's FEET to trim its toenails?

Even so, it is also VERY well documented:

Schaublin 102 C-VM High Precision Leadscrew Lathe Service Instruction Manual | eBay

Linkie fails . Search FOR a "groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/schaublinlathes/info"

Downloads | Jens Orie

Schaublin 102-VM Lathe Manual | store.lathes.co.uk

Schaublin 102N-VM Manual

Swiss machine tool literature library - Anglo-Swiss Tools

And those who have "gone before you... right here.. on PM"

headstock oil for 102 VM

Schaublin 120 VM

Schaublin 120 VM Rebuild - Details Needed

Schaublin 102 VM manual

Manual for Schaublin 102 VM

Thank you for reply and all the links.
Not sure what you really want me to say about being compelled.
Lathe is not in very good condition, chuck is catching a lot and this is probably just tip of the iceberg.
I did not come here before I did some research. Sure I could have missed something.
If being mechanical engineer, rebuilding cars and motorbikes being my hobbies is not enough, maybe this will..
.. 44 surgeries(I only count the ones with full narcosis) in 4 years made me think, I want to still try do do something different.. What is making the doctors think they are compelled to help me, when it is all big fail, right? I want to do it right, came to this forum and asked..

Thank you for reply and all the links.
Lathe is not in very good condition, chuck is catching a lot and this is probably just tip of the iceberg.
I did not come here before I did some research. Sure I could have missed something.
If being mechanical engineer, rebuilding cars and motorbikes being my hobbies is not enough, maybe this will..
.. 44 surgeries(I only count the ones with full narcosis) in 4 years made me think, I want to still try do do something different.. What is making the doctors think they are compelled to help me, when it is all big fail, right? I want to do it right, came to this forum and asked..

You are in the right place.

I can see pulling the HS off... ONLY if you are going to send the bed off for a proper bedway grinder to refresh all surfaces. TS and carriage STILL need fully dealt with. Read "costly!", VERY!!!

It is NOT required to remove the HS if your plan is to hand scrape the bed. Only the TS and carriage must be asided.

Cheaper in money. More costly in the time and effort of DIY labour.

But you can spread it out over time.

Either path can work.

I've know enough of the craftsmen, used enough of their products, and spent enough time on the ground in both of Czech and Slovak areas to have a HIGH regard for the people and their craftsmanship, lo thousands of years, demonstrated.

Already.

So it comes down to "you can DOO this..":

A) Sweat and time, but small money.

"Surgeries?" You might have to HIRE the scraping done .. the saddle & TS, at least.. whether you have the bed ground or not?

B) Money and sweat, still a lot of time required.

Take your pick .....like the rest of us!

"TANSTAAFL" just because it was Swiss-made when NEW.

The reverse of "free", usually. You'd have to (also) know the Swiss?
Given a choice, they'll take the EXPENSIVE road, every time out.

Because it PAYS them better than ....selling cheese ....

And charging extra for the lack of holes (just price Gruyère vs Emmental or Appenzeller)....

Swiss Cheese | Gruyere | Emmentaler | Tilsiter | Appenzeller

:D

Thank you for the reply, I have spent the morning with going through the threads, so far no success.

Still having difficulties to take the headstock off. People I have asked all tell me it is simple. Have the drawings, cannot find the bolts I have there.. Hope the picture will upload. Have to go to the hospital again :wrong: hoping I will be fit for a month again, so I will try to continue with the works tomorrow.

Inbus bolts from the bottom of the headstock.jpg

Even with English as a first language, I don't understand Thermite most of the time so don't feel bad

Hopefully someone will come along who knows these machines.....welcome to the forum

headstock removal

Hi Pete,
it is very simple: remove the guards (screw-on sheet metal covers) protecting the carriage ways. Then you can easily remove the headstock.
Good luck!
Regards
Christian

Back