What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102 VM lathe - EMB Birsfelden motor type DK 7/8/2

stormbird

Plastic
This is a dual speed motor with both Hi and Lo speed circuits Y 380v 3-phase. I am wondering if anyone has explored if it is possible to wire it in Delta arrangement to get 230v 3-phase Hi Speed operation despite it NOT saying it is a dual voltage motor?

I have tried this on a smaller 380 volt 2-speed motor; it didn't work, because the motor really needs the high voltage to run. There was no torque at low speeds, and at higher speeds the VFD went into an error state - overcurrent, I think. Look up "Dahlander" for more thorough explanations.

Nowadays, VFDs with 240 Volt input and a built-in step-up to 400 Volt seem to exist, and maybe not all that expensive.
Otherwise you could use a overspecified VFD, and use three expensive step-up transformers for the three phases.

Using a standard single speed 3 phase motor and wiring it for 230V operation is another option, but I'm not sure if the Schaublin motors use a standard mounting pattern, so an adapter plate may be necessary.

You might consider contacting drivesdirect.co.uk - I believe they know their stuff, and/or repost your question in the "Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD" forum here. Maybe also a call to David Samways of anglo-swiss-tools is in order.

Best regards,

Hans

Back