What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102n on ebay.....

Yeah well, kinda moot considering who the seller is
frown.gif

D., just wondering is the seller someone else on this board? Or are they a "far from reputable dealer",even though their feedback is pretty good? Sorry for my ignorance on this one.

[This message has been edited by toolmaker (edited 08-13-2004).]

There were a couple of good threads on the AB Machine doofus on the Deckel board I was going to link you to read, but now they have vanished, which is depressing enough that I'll have to let others tell ya the story of ol AB
frown.gif

I'll tell the story only in short... I was responsible for deleting the threads, which would have been found on the Deckel group. At the time, I was functioning as the moderator there until Sean returned. Anyhow, the originator of the thread requested, several times, that I remove the threads. I considered the value/benefit of them, and finally decided that his wish should be granted.

Fundamentally the issue was a significant disagreement about a product sold by the vendor. It obviously got nasty and the vendor threatened to sue the buyer, etc, etc. Although I suspect the vendor didn't really have a legal "leg to stand on", I really felt I should defer to the buyer's (thread originator) desire.

FWIW, I have never had any direct contact with the seller here (well, not quite true... a long time ago I contacted them about some items they had for sale). Basically it seems like their prices are quite high, but what else is new. EBay is frequently used as a means for dealers to advertise machinery. Just type in "CNC" sometime and half the stuff you see has been on there for probably 10 auctions and is often 35K or so. I doubt many people are buying that stuff! But it is a good way for these vendors to advertise. Personally I hate it, but I can't fault them... That is just business.

Hopefully this clears some of the "mystery" of the lost thread up.

--Alan

P.S. I've seen the Aciera too, but it is *way* out of my league... and I suspect most others too. If eBay had a way of filtering out dealers, this particular vendor would definitely be on that list. He has eye candy but just not something that I could ever justify from a cost perspective. I can't think of one thing I've ever seen that he's actually sold, but he does have feedback... He *must* have sold something.... Not worth my time trying to figure it out though.

Also, yes, the dealer does belong to the board. That is why the buyer and he were having such a tiff... It was the posts the buyer made.

I would have done the same thing Alan.
The forum is not a battleground nor a soapbox.

Posts like that usually can be left for a few days and then removed.

You made the right call.

Sean

Sheesh, I must have missed that one.

I was thinking more along the lines of a thread where I pointed out that he had some Eastern Bloc mill for sale on eBay and he was calling it a "Deckel copy", that wasn't even remotely like a Deckel...was just a small green knee mill. So I emailed him about it and he emails back some BS about not knowing that much about European machines and thanking me for pointing this out.

Naturally he still doesn't change the ad copy and it becomes apparent later that he ~specializes~ in small European machines, such that it's obvious he knew exactly what he was doing from the get go.

Wrench,

Ebay now offers a way to eliminate sellers form a search. Once you've entered a search string for an item, say "Deckel", click on the "Refine Search" link just to the right of the search string entry box.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the hint. I guess I didn't see that one! It is good to know that I have the option now. Of course, sometimes it is still fun to have a little eye candy! :D Ahhh, to dream!

Anyhow, Don... I wasn't aware that there was another thread dealing with this particular vendor. I'm guessing that your probably posted that in the Classified section (?).

Sean... Thanks. It seemed like the right approach at the time. Kind of an interesting job. I even got to lock Don! :D That was a funny one. He and a guy in SF were going at it over a Cazeneuve lathe, as I recall. Kind of humorous but not the right place.

--Alan

Back