What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102N - Why the extended spindle ? (photos)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Bought the below recently. Any idea what the extended spindle tube is all about ? Maybe it had a pneumatic closer at one time ?

IMG_1817.jpg IMG_1818.jpg

Bought the below recently. Any idea what the extended spindle tube is all about ? Maybe it had a pneumatic closer at one time ?

View attachment 258886 View attachment 258887

What Peter said.

Plus - as with the French HBX-360-BC you sold me - any lathe that uses separate extensions can readily support swapping for other extension options without disturbing the spindle, proper.

I'd rate that approach as "a feature, not a bug", and one that adds value.

:)

Nice looking lathe!!

My rusty Graziano Sag 12S project has a similar tube at the end and I’m thinking it’s probably for a collet closer.

509b594fef7d37a2ccf0934143ab3aa3.jpg

..similar tube at the end and I’m thinking it’s probably for a collet closer.

Well "not only". All of my collet systems are nose-actuated in one way or another. I don't think I've even seen a manual rear-closer fitted to a Cazeneuve. Powered is another story.

But many of the "modern" squared-off lathes - the HBX-360 among them as well as the Graziano and this particular family of Schaublin - need an extension tube simply so one can find the spindle bore to feed a rod or bar of stock into without having to take the end cover(s) off. The extension also limits whip, protecting other goodies in the area, though a supplementary support may still be needed when stock is long.

The "working" spindle itself otherwise ends somewhere deep inside.

Back