What's new
What's new

Schaublin 102VM camlock D1-2: dimensions/drawing wanted

prensel

Plastic
I'm looking for the dimensions or drawings of the D1-2 camlock as used on the Schaublin 102VM lathe.
There seems to be a yahoo group somewhere that has/had these dimensions or drawings in a posting.

I'm looking for the dimensions or drawings of the D1-2 camlock as used on the Schaublin 102VM lathe.
There seems to be a yahoo group somewhere that has/had these dimensions or drawings in a posting.

P&W were one of the VERY few who actually used the D1-2. ISTR it was a P&W patent?

Page Title

This one is easier to read:

AMERICAN LATHE SPINDLES SPECIFICATIONS

AFAIK, DIN picked it up, but should be interchangeable, save for the use of Metric, not US, threads on the anchor end of the camlock studs and their rotation-limiting capscrews?

Great, thanks for the links and info !

How manu Schaublin 102VM users are on this forum anyway ?

What do you mean by mandrin ??
Backplate for a chuck???
Did you ask at the importer of Caseneuve
BMT Machines BMT Machine Tools - Hardinge en Bridgeport

Peter

Backplates, yes.

I've just sent an email to that Nederlands source you linked.

Thank you!

Cazeneuve in France no longer listed a North American support facility, indicated their HQ was "it". But did not respond to contact in ENGLISH.

I suspect you already know how the French can be about their language?

:D

You could also try Amestra
Startseite
They used to sell these backplates also

Peter

Thanks again, I'll send the same inquiry.

DOUBLE thanks. Amestra list the CURIAL HANDY top-jaws. I can onpass that to the lad I gifted the OEM Handy chuck to. I don't use 3-Jaws, only wanted the backplate off it.

So, too, at one time, and as makers of backplates, not just distributors, did ladner.fr, a Spanish firm, and another in Italy. Decent CNC rig, it isn't as hard as it once was to "sync" that long. shallow, taper, it's flat, and the conical pinch screws.

Cazeneuve HBX have been "made" IN Spain as well as in Japan and Brazil, during their long history. AFAIK, only the French plant still makes them, present-day. As the "chassis" under their Optra and Optimax "teach in" hybrid CNC lines.

Impressive machines. But so, too, are several OTHER similar "hybrids" from other makers, some of them with the same family of Siemens electronics, others, not.

"New blood", starting out today, not fiddle-farting about "yesterday", that class of hybrids in general is the way to go - more or less killing-off "all manual" even for repair and general-purpose R&D "last-minute alter it / fix it" work.

My case, it is the usual "wages of sin" that come with procrastination, Peter.

I SHOULD HAVE ordered the backplates years ago when I lucked into the NOS Swedish-MADE, not just "branded", as-new SCA chucks in perfect condition.

For-sure I'll be paying more for them NOW.

D1 backplates "-3" and up, can be nearly as cheap as the raw metal.

D1-2, not so easy to find!.

Message to the OP?

PITA to MAKE these goods. No glory in it. They last a lifetime. Better to just buy them, even if yah have to take out a loan. I did say "lifetime"? If not abused, MORE than one human lifetime.

Cazeneuve's? No such hope for "cheap"!

Ironic, since they were developed as a less expensive alternative to the D1 Cazeneuve also offered!

:(

Still searching for one or two D1-2 camlock backplates to buy or eventually to let them fabricate.
I have two that dont fit that well (anymore). The correct dimensions are also mentioned in one of the digitized Schaublin brochures I had downloaded somewhere.

Still searching for one or two D1-2 camlock backplates to buy or eventually to let them fabricate.
I have two that dont fit that well (anymore). The correct dimensions are also mentioned in one of the digitized Schaublin brochures I had downloaded somewhere.

Have you been able to ascertain WHY the fit has degraded and where?

It is a "non-trivial exercise" to clean-up a worn spindle nose, but it has been done more that just a few times.

It is a "non trivial exercise" to tighten up a back plate or body-integral D1 by skimming the flat so a worn taper pulls up a skosh further, but that, too, has been done more than just a few times.

And it IS a "trivial exercise", given about a quarter of the used D1 goods I have purchased NEEDED it, to replace the camlock studs that can no longer be adjusted to pull up properly because of wear on the most-loaded portion of the curve of their engagement notch.

Mac-it for inch goods. Whomever is handy to where YOU are, (I've used Shars) for the Metric-threaded ones.

You may not need "new" plates at all?

I'd expect D1-2 just about has to be the rarest of the rare, and priced accordingly as made-to-order, not shelf-stocked, even by outfits that are set-up to manufacture - AND QC - D1 in general.

I buy my studs. But the cutout IS far easier to make than the taper of a plate.

Several folk have DIY'ed them, "right here, on PM".

Plates, too. but it's touchier work.

Simple enough. Just challenging to "timing" the interference fit of the pulled-tight taper with the "just not-quite kissed" of the mating flats that prevent tilt hence disaster in an over-stress from becoming a nasty crash.

2C.... . and a whole lot of D1-3 or D1-4 goods under-roof worth...

Luckily I have found two brand new never used D1-2 backplates for the Schaublin 102 VM. They were old-stock spares for Philips Eindhoven and were sold of as scrap metal some years ago to someone trading surplus mill and lathe parts. I had discovered/recognized them in another add on one of the photos in the back. So picked them up last night, not even 20km away :-)

Luckily I have found two brand new never used D1-2 backplates for the Schaublin 102 VM. They were old-stock spares for Philips Eindhoven and were sold of as scrap metal some years ago to someone trading surplus mill and lathe parts. I had discovered/recognized them in another add on one of the photos in the back. So picked them up last night, not even 20km away :-)

Brilliant! That's got to be a seriously RARE stroke of good fortune!

Well done!

Pics or it didnt happen :-)
Below the two new ones, on top two old ones

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

And on top of that: the previous owner/seller found something else belonging to the Schaublin:

The orginal and completely full box of change gears.

IMG_8777.jpg

Well the treasurehunt continues, I've found another add with pics wheres a D1-2 camlock on it.

schaublin_treasure.jpg

See below on the drawer... will pay the seller a visit today to sse what else is there...

And after that I will sacrifice the goat,rabbit,motherinlaw :-)

Well the treasurehunt continues, I've found another add with pics wheres a D1-2 camlock on it.

View attachment 302020

See below on the drawer... will pay the seller a visit today to sse what else is there...

And after that I will sacrifice the goat,rabbit,motherinlaw :-)

You must have good magic!

I should hire you to scout the Cazeneuve HBX-360 backplates I cannot seem to be able to acquire!

Your luck, a vintage French motorcar might come with them!

:D

"I should hire you to scout the Cazeneuve HBX-360 backplates I cannot seem to be able to acquire!"

termite, why do you continue to recommend Shars, and claim it is more accurate then anything available, regarding D type back plates when it is the very bottom of the barrel of Chinese products?

Back