What's new
What's new

Schaublin 125-CNC retrofit:

rotarySMP

Cast Iron
Hi Guys,

I bought a Schaublin 125-CNC from Richardo (swiss ebay). Seems to have good mechanicals, and have done little work in it's 40 years.
5s.jpg

6s.jpg

I will be modernising it with a new controller.
Here is a video of my first impressions:
[video]New-to-me Lathe - Schaublin 125-CNC - YouTube[/video]

Just watched your video: space is always an issue, not matter how big your shop is....

I have the same machine waiting for repair and retrofit, but I don't have the time now.I have planned to use the orginal toolpost and make the lathe as compact as possible, which means removing the cabinet on the end and a new mounting position for the Z-axis motor.
I will follow your proges with lots of intrest!

Thanks. There is a retrofit thread on the german CNCEcke.de
Peters CNCECKE

Because the base has that large Pneumatics compartment behind the eletrical cabinet, he managed to shoe horn everything in there.
I don't really mind the Z axis over hang. I have a bench next to where the Schaublin will live, so that space is free.
Mark

Watched the vid (subscribed!)

Really cool to see these machines retrofitted with modern control. Especially like the way you made the Maho control work with no disturbance of the complex and good original electronics of the machine. Worked a little with the same Maho and always thought it was a wonderful machine - and an awesome machine with the controls updated.
Good to see it can be done!

I am pretty sure they all delivered with a tailstock back then. The sales brochure show it as standard. Disappointing that the tailstock got separated from it.

Schaublin.jpg

Mark

Before I removed the original controller, I wanted to document what it did and how it did it. There is very little information online about such old CNC electonics.
This controller is powered by a pre-DOS generation Data General Nova 2/4.

Unfortunately, I have no troubleshooting information about the controller or the Nova. You would need additional test equipment to interface with the nova to interogate it.

I won't dump it, but will remove the Nova with it's Schaublin controller cards, and see that it gets to a museum or collector.
Mark

If you had decide to go with the original controller, do you think you could have gotten in running in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable amount of money?

I doubt it. I cover that in this video. Without any way of communicating with the Mini Computor (it is pre-DOS) to interogate it, and without any schematics or information on the 13 Schaublin boards which integrate it, I do not have the skills to get that controller running. It is a Museum or collectors piece.
Mark

I know a workshop that bought such a machine new, they found out the controller was full of troubles . Like doing moves or toolchanges that were not programmed. That is why most of these machines have seen little use.

Thanks for that feedback. It doesn't really surprise me to hear that. There are a lot of huge very flexibly circuit boards and spade connectors. I imagine if the gremlins get in you will have a hard time getting them out. Do you have any idea what they paid for it?
Mark

Last edited:
I need to break this down a bit further than I initially hoped, as the oil cutting oil has hardened to varnish everything together...
Mark

I really enjoy the videos! Pretty nice machine! I really like the Boley you have as well. Finding a Boley or Schaublin in the US seems to be very difficult.

Back