What's new
What's new

Schaublin 135, too much play on power lever

ReneP

Plastic
Hello,

Just received my Schaublin 135. It is one of the first models, year of manufacturing is 1966. So it needs some TLC and some help would be much appreciated. The first problem is the major play on the power lever. Especially when I put it down it will not engage in the high spindle speed. You can also feel and see the play on the power lever. So I like to take it apart and fix the problem. Can somebody please advise what the best sequence is? Some technical documentation would be much appreciated. Thanks for the support.

IMG_0485.JPG

Regards ReneP.

It would be helpful to see a photo of the entire machine. Some 135's were outfitted with an optional selector dial which allowed only certain spindle speed levels to engage, depending on how you rotate the dial. Having said that it seems unlikely that would have been available on the first 135 machines...but maybe...

Hi Milacron,

I made a photo of the entire machine. Yes, it has a small selector dial to limit the spindle speed and direction. I hope this helps.

IMG_0522.JPG

Hi Milacron,

I made a photo of the entire machine. Yes, it has a small selector dial to limit the spindle speed and direction. I hope this helps.
Ah, that is interesting... an old single pedestal model...On the newer double pedestal models that selector dial is on the front near the end of the bed.....but on yours I see it is on the "end end" of the bed. Well, now that you know, did you turn the dial and that fixed the problem ??

And FWIW, assuming the compound is not lost, that is a very nice looking 135 to be such an old one especially.

No, the compound is not lost. I took it off for cleaning. Changing the dial does not fix the problem. The movement of the power lever is not transferred to the bar which controls the switches. There is a key-way in the bar. I suppose here is something wrong or worn out. So the only way to find out is to take it apart. The machine is in reasonable shape and runs fine. But it needs a repaint job. Before doing this, I like to clean it completely and fix some minor problems.

No, the compound is not lost. I took it off for cleaning. Changing the dial does not fix the problem. The movement of the power lever is not transferred to the bar which controls the switches. There is a key-way in the bar. I suppose here is something wrong or worn out. So the only way to find out is to take it apart. The machine is in reasonable shape and runs fine. But it needs a repaint job. Before doing this, I like to clean it completely and fix some minor problems.
OK I get it....keyway issue. Re painting, well if you want it to look as new I suppose go ahead... but it looks pretty good as is to me. Please post "before" and "after" photos for us to oogle at :drool5:

Rene!

Your lathe seems to be a very nice find!

The problem with play in the spindle speed lever is very common, even in the later models with the direction/ speed liming selector on the front of the pedestal. It stems from the sum of play in all parts combined, but worst is often the play in the keyway in the long transfer shaft running along the front of the bed. Nearly all the wear is normally with the carriage near the chuck. You may check this by trying out the lever function with the carriage to the extreme right, the problem will often disappear.

Take the shaft out by removing the bearing block on the right end of the machine. Check if replacing the key will reduce the play enough, or if you need a new wider key and a remachined wider keyway to go with it. At the same time see if you find other sources of play that can be remedied reasonably easy by a new hole and a new oversized pin or similar. If most play has been eliminated, the mechanism needs a readjustment, and presto!

Good luck,

Ole

Hi Ole

If I remove the bearing block, both shafts (speed lever, and power) are also moving since the bearings are pushed into the block. Is this a problem or should I make an attempt to fixate them, so I can pull the bearing block of? Also the lever seems to be fairly fixed to the housing. Is there an easy way to remove it. Thankx for your help!

Regards Rene.

Back