What's new
What's new

Schaublin 150 completely disassembled!

Grazio87

Aluminum
Hello dear friends, I am writing because this summer I found in an old workshop (closed for years) a schaublin model 150.
With little money I was able to take it home because it was full of dust and rust without a few pieces (without even the tailstock).

Reading on the net, I realized that I had in my hands a great lathe, so I decided to restore it, unfortunately not only missing the tailstock to the lathe, but also the tool carrier slide, and if that wasn't enough, it also lacks the gear cover gear, some gears, and all electric plant!

Then I realiWP_20170110_14_12_46_Pro.jpgWP_20161022_17_07_00_Pro.jpgWP_20170102_15_31_23_Pro.jpgzed that I could never restore it, too bad.

So I decided that the only way I have to use it you convert it to cnc.

So I no longer need the gearbox, and any other levers that serve the manual operation, so if anyone needs some components, sell them to the highest bidder

There is no easy way to install an X-axis ball screw on 150. You will find that all the "spare room" to change things has been engineered out of the lathe.

Those parts are almost certainly worth more to someone who needs them to repair a 150 than as a boged CNC conversion. The gearbox can also be fit to a 135 to allow inch pitches.

In my opinion you would be ahead to sell the 150 basket case and find yourself another lathe.

If you want to do a Schaublin retrofit start with a 126 or 128.

Does anyone know if the cross slide screw fits 135's, if so I am in the market :)
In all seriousness sell the machine/parts as is and buy a CNC lathe if that is what you want, it will be much cheaper and better at the end of the day.

L

It is amazing that one of the best manual lathes in the world could get into that state in the first place....unless it was dropped during a move.

There is no easy way to install an X-axis ball screw on 150. You will find that all the "spare room" to change things has been engineered out of the lathe.

Those parts are almost certainly worth more to someone who needs them to repair a 150 than as a boged CNC conversion. The gearbox can also be fit to a 135 to allow inch pitches.

In my opinion you would be ahead to sell the 150 basket case and find yourself another lathe.

If you want to do a Schaublin retrofit start with a 126 or 128.

The problem is that I have not found anyone since this summer that would buy it, the main problem are the missing parts.

It is amazing that one of the best manual lathes in the world could get into that state in the first place....unless it was dropped during a move.

In fact!

I am so sorry that a lathe so accurate has been treated so bad, I can't get interesting facts in what happened and who used it until now, who sold it to me has not been able to give me information.

It is precisely because I can't sell it whole that I want to sell the parts (which are in great demand).

Today I checked the eccentricity of the spindle, and is approximately 3 microns (not bad!), then I took apart the spindle to see if there was rust (since there wasn't a drop of oil in spindle head) and fortunately it's all shiny, can't say the same for the exterior, there's some rust in the mk5.

WP_20160508_20_08_24_Pro.jpg

It is precisely because I can't sell it whole that I want to sell the parts (which are in great demand).

Don't be too eager.

Even a person in need of only part of it 'now' might be well-ahead to take ALL of it for future needs or trading material.

Whereas part-out is going to almost certainly leave you with 'residue' you cannot readily sell for long years.

Bill

I am a few kilometers from Rome, for the whole lathe I am asking 6000 euros.

If you are good enough salesman to GET that for what you have?

I know a couple of Real Estate Brokers in Campione d' Italia that'd be happy to sell you a nice flat for a few million Euro.

:)

Tailstocks are on the market sometimes. I have one for the 135 I never use, as I have another with a starwheel feed. I have seen others like the one I have, but possibly not for the 150. There was a certain aftermarket for topslides too, as there was an optional topslide for the Multifix listed in the catalogue. 6000 euros for the lathe may be too much, but somebody might be tempted for 3000 I would guess (not me!)
Ole

If you had your lathe, how much money would you ask?

You don't HAVE a 'lathe'. You have part of one.

Either one of mine can make chips with half a day's work from cold start. No missing carriages - just wear.

Motor is out of one being refurbed, another motor here could be installed in about two hours, max.

Another is 'landlocked', needs only moved and wired to the Phase Perfect. Figure three hours or less.

And I have 'nose art' and other tooling for either/both (D1-3, 10EE's) in munificent abundance.

Market rate for either is about USD 3,000 with at least basic tooling (chuck, collet system, centres, toolpost, cutters). Expecting more than three large would be dreaming. Beds need reground. Carriage & TS refitted. At the least.

FWIW - Euro is near-as-dammit at parity with USD most days of recent weeks.

Don't get me wrong.

Schaublin's are certainly righteous enough to command MORE than your figure.

When complete.

Or at least a lot closer-to than your one.

Bill

Tailstocks are on the market sometimes. I have one for the 135 I never use, as I have another with a starwheel feed. I have seen others like the one I have, but possibly not for the 150. There was a certain aftermarket for topslides too, as there was an optional topslide for the Multifix listed in the catalogue. 6000 euros for the lathe may be too much, but somebody might be tempted for 3000 I would guess (not me!)
Ole

HI ole,do you sell the tailstock of the 135?

A couple years back, I could have helped you with a copy, but I no longer work or live there.

We had one of very few Sch.150 lathes in North America, apparently, in our shop.

I will echo what others have suggested, before you part out any of this and try to convert it to some bastard CNC, you really should be talking to Ruemema http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/year-visit-ruemema-318515/ or any of the other higher end machine tools re-builders to see what it is worth to them. Like as not, as I see it, they will have the means and parts to make it whole and correct, even if you cannot afford to have them do so for your purposes.

Seems a shame to me, to part it out even further.

Take the money that they offer you for it, and apply that to buying what you will be able to actually use.

They will, if not buy it from you, be better than average, able to opine what the actual value of it as it is, should be, too.

Cheers
Trev

Grazio:

You could buy this one:
Tailstock SCHAUBLIN 15 - Machines offered at Machineseeker

And this one:
Precision Lathe Schaublin 135 - Machines offered at Machineseeker

If you are missing any gears, you could even buy the gears Cristian has, to the right in the pictures of the topslide.

I am not willing to sell my 135 tailstock, as I don't need money. On the other hand I would trade it for a nice swing table for a Schaublin 13 or 213 mill.

Remember that prices quoted are usually highly negotiable, even in Switzerland. The topslide is in Romania, listed by Cristian Negrila. I have found him to be very reliable and friendly.

Ole

Back