What's new
What's new

Schaublin 150 Missing A Steady Rest, Trying To Find A Suitable Replacement

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I have given up trying to find a Schaublin 150 steady rest for my lathe. Should I look for a rest from an appropriate donor lathe or are there other options?

It's fairly easy to take a steady meant for another lathe and change the base to fit your ways. It's also fairly easy to roll your own as a weldment. You could get one of these Metal Lathe Accessories kits and add a base. I did the latter for my Colchester Chipmaster.

Hi everyone. I have given up trying to find a Schaublin 150 steady rest for my lathe. Should I look for a rest from an appropriate donor lathe or are there other options?

Cheapest and least effort option is to do without forever. You did say "given up?"

I think that was the only one left that rklopp hasn't already covered?

May we go for a beverage, now?

:D

Cheapest and least effort option is to do without forever. You did say "given up?"

I think that was the only one left that rklopp hasn't already covered?

May we go for a beverage, now?

:D

I suppose that I can live without one but I liked using one on my previous lathe.

It's fairly easy to take a steady meant for another lathe and change the base to fit your ways. It's also fairly easy to roll your own as a weldment. You could get one of these Metal Lathe Accessories kits and add a base. I did the latter for my Colchester Chipmaster.

Thanks for the suggestion, I think that I will try to find a suitable match and adapt it to work.

I posted a link to a lathe manual over in this thread E3N-01 Kart lathe change gears
If you open the PDF and scroll down through the pictures therein, they show some pretty nice profiles for their Steady and Follow Rests, that would be dead easy to scale up or down as needed, and used as a reference for either building your own Steady or perhaps as a full size drawing to use for a comparison so as to see if your 'possible' is going to work well or not.

Just sayin'.

Cheers

I posted a link to a lathe manual over in this thread E3N-01 Kart lathe change gears
If you open the PDF and scroll down through the pictures therein, they show some pretty nice profiles for their Steady and Follow Rests, that would be dead easy to scale up or down as needed, and used as a reference for either building your own Steady or perhaps as a full size drawing to use for a comparison so as to see if your 'possible' is going to work well or not.

Just sayin'.

Cheers

That helps a lot, I plan to search for a worthy donor. I have some great drawings of the 150 steady rest and bed ways cross section that should make it a simple. The best path is more clear now. Thank you!

Back