Schaublin 150 vs Colchester Master vs3250 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of Colchester bashing here on the board in general, seems a popular refrain....
    Can't speak for the Asian version (i have my ideas though) but i have lots of seat time on the earlier 15" Clausing Colchesters!
    Have one in the shop. Setup almost full time with a 5-c collet setup having the "Royal" lever closer..

Rebuilt this machine in the shop maybe 10 years past now...bed reground , Turcite on the cross and carriage scraped to alignment.
    This machine is quite capable of fine work...good finishes and excellent at holding size.

It without question can produce more work per time than the other lathe in the shop ....Spindle speed changes are direct and no nonsense , no figuring which lever goes where for what speed ..its all graphic and a simple
    rotation of the selector levers away.

The apron setup is also no nonsense..direction and cross or long select-able off plungers while everything is moving...fast
    The controls for me fall exactly to hand...everything is where it feels natural.

Long travel on the cross allows cutting on the back side of parts...a nice feature. Not a heavy hogger but that is not the class of work i am doing.
    In short this vintage Colchester given my class of work is very capable and i would not hesitate to purchase another .....

Of course having a 135 o4 150 would be pretty nice if for no other reason than its "cool" factor....
    Cheers Ross

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing wrong with the old Colchesters - *The World Turned on Colchester Lathes*...

Although i can hear Mark McGrath (RIP) shouting "bloody noisy headstock"...!

3. Likes Charles P, rasmush, Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post

He had a similar disdain for Bridgeports.
    Never one for the popular machines was Mark.

Charles

5. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, lots of dissing on Colchesters. Whatever. You don't sell THAT many machines, without having made something worth having.

And, much in common with the likes of Bridgeport mills, they were not the be-all to end all, but they were affordable, flexible, and adequate for their purposes for the majority of folks that were shopping for a Lathe or Milling machine.

Don't know how many Schaublin 150s were made, but I figure the numbers are likely eclipsed by the number of any one model the Colchester sold over the years.

7. Likes rasmush liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Yeah, lots of dissing on Colchesters. Whatever. You don't sell THAT many machines, without having made something worth having.

And, much in common with the likes of Bridgeport mills, they were not the be-all to end all, but they were affordable, flexible, and adequate for their purposes for the majority of folks that were shopping for a Lathe or Milling machine.

Don't know how many Schaublin 150s were made, but I figure the numbers are likely eclipsed by the number of any one model the Colchester sold over the years.
    Schaublin's numbers are actually published.

I'd guess Colchy sold more in a good MONTH, even if it took 2 or 3 months to produce them, than all the 150's Schaublin ever built in total.

One of the SEVERAL reasons I'd WANT the Schaublin, actually!

Another is that being what they were, and costing what they did, and the type of work that justified all that, they were generally run by top of the food-chain Masters, well within their limits, not by students or butchers.

Bottom line to that is that Schaublins in general were ordinarily very well cared for and would be likely to have far less in the way of undue wear, abuse, or uncorrected faults.

Country
    ANDORRA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Colchester could, and did in their prime, make 200 machines per week.

All done to the specs they were needed. Schaublin 150 vs Colchester Master vs3250

As for most models, I'm sure they weren't ment to aim in the same segment as a Schaublin. But for most shops out there, a Colchester would be more than enough Schaublin 150 vs Colchester Master vs3250

And btw a new Bridgeport 'mill' were completed every 45min.. Schaublin 150 vs Colchester Master vs3250

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Schaublin's numbers are actually published.

I'd guess Colchy sold more in a good MONTH, even if it took 2 or 3 months to produce them, than all the 150's Schaublin ever built in total.

One of the SEVERAL reasons I'd WANT the Schaublin, actually!

Another is that being what they were, and costing what they did, and the type of work that justified all that, they were generally run by top of the food-chain Masters, well within their limits, not by students or butchers.

Bottom line to that is that Schaublins in general were ordinarily very well cared for and would be likely to have far less in the way of undue wear, abuse, or uncorrected faults.
    Yeah, per my earlier post, I worked in a shop with both a Scaub 150, and a 3250VS "New" Colchester, and I own a 2500 Master.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to NOT take the Schaublin, up against some pretty august competition as my first choice.

But, living in a more practical world as we do, we get to deal with what is placed in front of us.

It amazes me, though, that so many people decry the Colchester's, while forgetting entirely where they were meant to fit in to the scheme. Much as if all and sundry started throwing fits over a Ford econobox, not being able to perform on par with Ferrari's.
    Maybe if Ferrari started making crappy little cars to compete on an even footing...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Yeah, per my earlier post, I worked in a shop with both a Scaub 150, and a 3250VS "New" Colchester, and I own a 2500 Master.

I'd be pretty hard pressed to NOT take the Schaublin, up against some pretty august competition as my first choice.

But, living in a more practical world as we do, we get to deal with what is placed in front of us.

It amazes me, though, that so many people decry the Colchester's, while forgetting entirely where they were meant to fit in to the scheme. Much as if all and sundry started throwing fits over a Ford econobox, not being able to perform on par with Ferrari's.
    Maybe if Ferrari started making crappy little cars to compete on an even footing...
    Ferrari has never made anything BUT "crappy little cars".

Some of them just happened to be fast, nicely upholstered, brightly painted, or some combination of the above.

And MOST of them would pick up air-head chicks easily as fast as traffic tickets from the Georgia State Police.

Just not as cheaply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P View Post
    He had a similar disdain for Bridgeports.
    Never one for the popular machines was Mark.

Charles
    Sounds more like another deceased member more than Mark - John Stevenson.

Always amuses when Ferrari is brought up as something exceptional!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    And this opinion is biased on actual first hand exposure?
    Cheers Ross

14. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Cheers Ross
    Unfortunately yes.

Where do you begin. Just on the chassis side on the old ones, silly putty welds that would make a 10 year old blush, doors that won't open when you put them on a hoist, or as John would say of bridgeports, as floppy as a noodle. Fit in the old ones, remedied by, I kid you not, old bits of drink can from the factory brazed into a door on one memorable example. The more recent GT3 cars, manifolds crack at the drop of a hat, over here 50k replacement, which is taking the piss, no matter how well they gold plated the tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Sounds more like another deceased member more than Mark - John Stevenson.

If y'all are looking down yer noses at Ferraris, whatcha driving?
    Post pictures!

They sure seem to me to have more curb appeal that the Average Ford Focus! And they seem to draw a fair bit more coin off the lot, too.

If a fella starts doing a careful analysis of Value to Dollars ratio, things may change a little. Or, they may not.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers Ross
    Look closely at that prancing horse Enzo was gifted.

It isn't prancing. Badly paniced, rather.

Older, wiser, more competent Italian engineers and craftsmen kept jabbing it in the ass.....

.. with a trident.

Maserati celebrates 80th anniversary of Indy 500 victory by 'Umbrella' Mike's team

All "back in the day". of course.

Recent era, same ownership & engines? Who cares?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't you think it's time for a few pics of that 150, NOW ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Nothing wrong with the old Colchesters - *The World Turned on Colchester Lathes*...

That's a special feature, it's meant to ensure you don't doze off on long cuts !

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s in a crate about to be shipped... had some import issues that was sorted so now we wait...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers Ross
    My favourite Ferarri line is that to own one it helps if you're slightly deaf and live near the factory!

I'd quite like to have the opportunity to test that assertion

C

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles P View Post
    My favourite Ferarri line is that to own one it helps if you're slightly deaf and live near the factory!

I'd quite like to have the opportunity to test that assertion

C
    You'll be well ahead to buy the vinegar instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

" a Schaublin 150 that is in a very good shape"

"I mainly only do hobby work on my lathes, restoration and parts on old motorbikes and the odd tooling etc that I need from time to time."

i wonder if we are talking about the same thing? a schaublin 150 costs $50'000-$100'000 if "in good condition".

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sometimes you get a bargain....especially when there's no dealer involved...

25. Likes phm87 liked this post