What's new
What's new

Schaublin 160 in New York looking for a new owner

Martin P

Titanium
In trying to locate documentation for my older 160 I was following up a lead and found a 160 in New York (Long Island). This machine is in storage and has been for some years. I have no pictures or hard info on it so far. The info I have is conflicting. It may be the older model and it may have drive issues (pretty simple set-up though on these), or both statements are incorrect. One would really have to go look at it. Seller is looking for an offer, but realistically he probably should not expect very much.
I have no financial stakes in this, except that my commission is a copy of the documentation.:D

If seriously interested and willing to keep me in mind for the documentation, please p-mail me.

Any new owner will become a member of a secretive society, get a plaque, and a free tour at the Bevilard factory, where Schaublin will deny any knowledge of ever having made that machine.

Martin

I received a decent picture now, but cannot upload from where I am now.
It is the older model and made in 1964 like my older one.
Looks very original and non-messed-up, but repainted green (seems done in an OK manner).
Has collet closer and a some tooling with it.
Has original splash guard and some small things I am missing on mine.
This machine was probably brought over from Germany when a german company establish a subsidiary in the US way back when. So in some way it may be first owner.
I am pretty sure its metric.

I hooked up cyanidekid with the seller to take a look at the machine.

I have info from a third party that the machine on last usage did not shift speeds correctly, either being too slow or too fast. So I guess the middle gear did not work. I presume this is a matter of the electricly switched gearbox (just a guess), so it may just be an electrical issue. But a consideration. Note: motor is single speed.
Also I heard that the machine is really really horribly lound, but worked well. That is just weird. Probably not main spindle, but maybe again intermediate gearbox, which is belt driven between motor and main spindle (and a separate unit).

Cyanidekid should check this all out and report.

Seller asked me what I think its worth and I gave an honest from/to estimate for a working and good machine with no more than minor issues (early model, no lab queen, repainted, mechanicly sound, not worn out).

With Cyanidekids report in we can then determine who is still interested and have them contact the seller. That way all have the same info and no-one has to buy the cat in a bag.

IMG_8062 by Martin Peitz, on Flickr

I haven't received a response to my recent emails so I took it upon myself to find who currently owns this machine and contact them directly. And like I thought others have done so too. The machine is currently in storage and the company seems to have decided that they would like to clean the machine up and see what they can do to get the machine running, which they said would likely be after summer. Most likely to get top dollar for the machine, and the machine was valued at $4k-$8k (with little to no problems) by Martin so I would expect the higher end due to the interest from multiple people.
It seems to be in really good condition, with lots of tooling from what I read in some older threads. The biggest problem is the drive. It seems to be unbearably loud with only 2 speeds working,"too fast and too slow". From what it seems the whole drive needs to be removed and gone through. There is also what seems to be basically no parts availability.
We also haven't heard back CyanideKid who I thought was going to inspect the machine.
I hope the machine goes to a loving home.

sorry for the long delay, the job I had near the lathe fell through and other jobs got in the way, and I had no time to go and take a look as a separate trip. I too hope it sees a good restoration to working condition, and good luck!

Hell tinkerers!

Less than 2 years after the last posting, there is movement.
I got a mail from the seller, that he has now prepped the machine, made it run and put it on EBay. I have no link.
He wants 30K. !!!

My estimate based on initial pictures was 4 to 8K, if working.
In pristine condition I would have guessed may be up to 15k ? (but who am I).
So the current pricing is not my idea or based on my advice.

Since the seller is from the side of the business that deals in new grinders (some swiss), he is used to certain prices.

If interested parties remain, I can provide a direct contact.

(of course in that price range I can also provide a later generation machine)

Martin

good luck to them selling it, they are going to need it

then again, Milacrons P50 Fehlmann went for 21k at his auction, so anything is possible in US :)

Back