What's new
What's new

Schaublin 70 refurb

Bbk_Bbk

Aluminum
So I recently had the chance to pick up a schaublin 70 at a decent price. Problem is, the lathe had been sitting under a water leak for a while, so there’s some rust.

However when I looked at it, the spindle moves freely, I indicated .00036 run out on a cold spindle. And the tailstock alignment is darn near perfect. Oddly enough it sits .0015” high. Which is fine by me.

I noticed the machine came with a few good accessories, that are also interchangeable with my Habegger jh70, like the w12 collet set. That in itself off with a bunch, collets are all schaublin and are brand new, accept very light rust on the face which will clean up with cratex on the machine. I got a bunch of face plates, a three jaw with inside and outside jaws, but no back plate. An original sv pressure oiler which is down right cool!!

I plan to over haul this machine, and hopefully others could share their input here to help me along?

Here’s the pictures the seller sent me. Wait.... how do I post quality photos? This site wants to destroy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’ll post photos once I understand how to properly do it.

Ok so the spindle has a small amount of radial play, so following the instructions, I carefully moved the pulley back, removed the dust cover to the front bearing, loosened the two screws and tightened the radial play just a tad. It removed all play but was a bit too tight, so I backed it off until it felt very mild resistance and no play. After about an hour I went to test some other things and noticed the spindle was very stiff to rotate, so I went through the procedure again, but even fully loosened.its still got this heavy resistance. By over tightening it a little did I drive the spindle inside the tapered bearings too far? Any recommendations?

A tapered bearing does not come back on its own If you pushed it in to far you have to push it out
I have no idea what kind of bearing it is but this is valid for all taperd bearings

Peter

I watched a video and the fella did the same thing I did, with no issue. I tried getting the spindle out to inspect but I’m having a tough time. I’ll post a video to show what I followed, I have the same head stock accept mine is enclosed. Bearings are the same. Can anyone offer any advice, I’m a little frustrated and don’t want to proceed until I speak with knowledgeable people.

https://youtu.be/31KVNB1jMYY

I see a tapered shaft in a plain tapered bearing with a thrustbearing
To get less radial play you cannot pull the spindle into the plain bearing as the thrustbearing prevent this Your axial play also gets smaller
The thrustbearing holds the shaft in a fixed position To adjust this bearing the plain bearing has to be moved or a spacer behind the thrustbearing has to be ground off
I think your axial play is too tight now
Perhaps check the bearing /shaft combo with prussian blue to see how good it seats Perhaps it needs to be scraped A bearing that small takes some fidling

Peter

Well I adjusted it just until the radial play ( in and out ) was gone. Which was about 1/8” movement of the adjustment pin. And the spindle was smooth and free. But upon sitting it began tightening. And I can’t seem to get it back to how it was, even with play in the spindle. I doubt there’s much wear as the machine wasn’t used much at all, the damage was done by dripping water. I’d love to show you if I can figure out how the heck to post a quality photo.

I’m going to have to make a pin to try and remove the spindle, then I can have a better look. The enclosed headstock makes it quite difficult to adjust.

I suppose something different as the bearing then Take it apart and look for burrs Also blue up some parts that need to run free to see if it touches anywhere
Perhaps the needle bearing races are mounted backways One spacer has a bigger hole as the other The one with the big hole should be in the rotating part

Peter

This isn’t going my way haha. Note I can’t remove the dust cap, it appears the bearing is spinning with the dust cap as I try to twist it off the threads. Does anyone have experience with this?

And do I need to use a third party photo site to post quality pictures?

The best way tp post pictures and be sure they are vissable here to last is to upload the pictures to your album on this site and then copy and paste the bbc code The album you find if you click your username

Peter

Back