What's new
What's new

Schaublin Lathe - Shed find, needs work

YanakieGuy

Plastic
Hello

New here...

Recently found a Schaublin lathe buried in the back of a workshop. :eek:

Obviously it has seen better days but thinking of trying to breathe some life into it.. :nutter:

lathe 1.jpg
lathe 2.jpg

Im trying to work out what year / model is the headstock, can anyone help? :scratchchin:

Thanks in advance for your help. :cheers:

yes ive watched that youtube series already on the restoration, was a great job.

tailstock has a magic eye so looks similar to ones in 1966 catalog...

height of centers is corresponds to measurements of 102 as per catalogs dimensions

thinking it might be a frankenmachine put together with various parts

will post more pics as it is pulled apart..

Isn't that a treat, way to go. There's nothing there that can be reconditioned and there's few makes more worthy of it. I like reconditioning small machines...it goes fairly quickly, and that bed is fairly easy to do.

As for being a frankenlathe, doubt it. It all looks Schaublin to me and they we offered with various headstocks and tailstocks

Some progress..

Its definitely a Schaublin, the build quality is amazing

Done a bit of disassembly, cleaning and a bit of old catalog reading.:Yawn:

Lathe looks almost exactly same as the model on the front cover of the 1952 catalog except for the tailstock.

I can find a similar looking picture in the 1948 catalog pg6 and 1952 pg13 of headstock which identifies it as No13AR. however , i managed to find a marking on the headstock that says No3. Would welcome any comments from anyone that might know better than myself.

model identification.jpg

Tailstock has a 'magic eye' which i dont see until the 1966 catalog. Tailstock I’m guessing is from the 60's. Its a bit frozen so will be putting in an oilbath overnight. Also welcome some suggestions here!!:scratchchin:

Bed seems to be No1C , looks same as catalog from 1940's and 1952. the catalog shows the bed differently with Schaublin 102 written on left side in 1966 catalog.

After a good scrubbing i can see that the original color of the headstock and base were gray but have been painted green, this was why I made the frankenlathe comment, only that possibly it is a machine that has been rebuilt/refurbished in past with head and tail from different era's (headstock in 1966 catalog seems to have a vertical knob for securing the pin in the dividing attachment whereas mine sits on the horizontal axis).

planning on chemically removing paint on bed , next step will be some rust removal… sandblasting the cabinet and electrolysis for the bed and carriage and reconditioning the motor...:willy_nilly:

update 1.jpg

Back