What's new
What's new

Schuablin 13

firststrike

Plastic
Firstly hello to all, we have a schaublin 13 ( manufactured 1964). I am trying to use the horizontal arbour attachment which currently has a 1.6mm saw blade type cutter fitted. I want to fit a 25mm convex cutter onto the arbour but cannot dismantle it, one end has the number 4 morse taper fits into the milling machine the other end has a spacer with 2 flats on. Spent the afternoon trying to remove the spacer with 2 flats ( "nut") to no avail:mad5:, is it a normal r/h thread or is it l/h thread? Also is there a way to lock the drive shaft on the schaublin 13? Any help much appreciated:D.

Hello, firststrike

I have a Schäublin 13 and can tell you that my arbours have a LH front thread but SK 30 spindle fit. The standard horizontal milling operation is with the spindle turning counterclockwise, seen from in front, conventional machining at the table moving X+.

I think the nut can be fairly well bitten into the thread, a Schäublin nut and a good arbour are hard. Both threads ground. You might perhaps be able to break it loose after a WD-40 infusion and a couple of dry blows on a tightly set adjustable spanner, the arbour carefully clamped between pieces of hardwood.

The more precision is around, the finer and gentler everything can go. This milling machine is for precision work, you can eliminate table tipping over both ends to almost zero, I mean something like a hundredth millimetre (four tenths).

Thank you for replying so quickly, will try turning the nut clockwise L/H tomorrow, incredibly tight though and finding it difficult to hold the shaft. The machine itself was to be scrapped by the previous owner, we paid £100 for it with all of its collets, vice, rotary table etc.

Ystradgynlais

Hi, "Ystradgynlais" is the small Welsh town where i have based my company, Wales as you may already know is part of the UK. You would pronounce it as follows us-trad-gun-lice and basically means that the river Cynlais flows through the valley, the letter "C" at the start of Cynlais is pronounced as a "G" in English.

Hello, firststrike

I have a Schäublin 13 and can tell you that my arbours have a LH front thread but SK 30 spindle fit. The standard horizontal milling operation is with the spindle turning counterclockwise, seen from in front, conventional machining at the table moving X+.

I think the nut can be fairly well bitten into the thread, a Schäublin nut and a good arbour are hard. Both threads ground. You might perhaps be able to break it loose after a WD-40 infusion and a couple of dry blows on a tightly set adjustable spanner, the arbour carefully clamped between pieces of hardwood.

The more precision is around, the finer and gentler everything can go. This milling machine is for precision work, you can eliminate table tipping over both ends to almost zero, I mean something like a hundredth millimetre (four tenths).

Attempted to dismantle the arbour on Saturday but could not move the retainer either clockwise or anti clockwise. Tomorrow i plan to put the arbour in the lathe and part down to the shaft between 2 spacers that are on it, hopefully this will take off any load thats on the nut. Hope this makes sense.

I've owned four Schaublin 13, both earlier and later than yours and had lots of tooling ... ALL of which is 30INT / NT30 ... unless you've got a very modified head that I'm unaware of it should not be a be 4 Morse Taper.

I suspect you've got the wrong horizontal arbor as the genuine arbor is held in by a threaded "Draw-in" bar.

Regards

Back