What's new
What's new

shaublin 160 tailstock height adjust tapper repair

Stonefox

Plastic
I was checking my tailstock alignment and it was 0.36 mm low. My Shaublin 160 tailstock (shaublin 160-67 starwheel) height adjustment is made by adjusting a tapper. Unfortunately, the tapper does not not seem to be working properly. This is the first time I have used this adjustment since I bought this old machine second-hand some years ago.

I turned the cap screw at the back of the tapper and it moved a little but then just rotates and the tapper does not move. It may be threaded. Now when I turn it in any direction it does not move.
I am a novice and have had no mechanical training at all, I was in the medical field before I retired. What I am trying to say is I do not know how to separate the tapered parts to check them. Any help would be appreciated.

If anyone has the drawings/manual it would also be greatly appreciated.

I believe the Shaublin 150 and 160 have the same type of tailstock.

adjusting screw.jpg

Wow a 160
That adjusting screw looks tiny to me and offset to one side a lot
This slide sees very little use so it gets stuck real easy
I would take it apart and see whats wrong
Probably a stripped thread
You can download several manuals on that French website
Here is a page with links to several manuals from that french forum
Schaublin 160
Lots of other manuals available there

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter.
I downloaded the French manuals. I do not speak French but these are the only manuals I have ever seen for my machine, many thanks. Tried to find them for years.
It looks like mine is the 1964 version.
As for taking it apart, I agree. I just do not know how to. It only has that one cap screw and if that is stripped how do I separate the slide? I would like some ideas on how this is achieved please.

If you look at the "service instructions'
On page 31 there is a drawing of the standard tail stock.Betting that your tail stock is the same on the tapered gib. Drawing is sort of fuzzy, but shows 3- 6mm screws in that tapered gib.
Can't tell if they inter through the bottom or if they are in through the top and are covered by the top portion of the tail stock where you adjust for side to side alignment.
On page 30 there is a discussion of alignments of the tail stock...I don't read french , but pretty sure there is a reference there to the three M6 screws....

My advice is to remove the tail stock from the machine and look at the underside of that tapered gib piece...Bet there are retaining screws (3) that keep it in place.

Bit curious as to how this is to work ....the opposing surface in contact with the lathe bed is a "Vee" ...Seems that changing the height of the one side would destroy the
contact with that angled "Vee" opposite....
Cheers Ross

Thanks, AlfaGTA
That tail-stock is really heavy!!
The 3 Screws are not accessible from the underside, so I used google to translate page 30 of the manual you pointed out:
Comparater (dial indicator) to 0.001mm on swivel slide.
Axis of measurement between centers.
Control by moving the carrier cage.
1.Unlock the eccentric 160-65.024.
2.Move the tailstock on its base using the 2 screws 160-65.024, until the 3 screws of the (gib?) are accessible.
3.Loosen the 3 screws.
4.Adjust the height and turn the screw 51-5075 (screw to mount).
5.Check by placing the compareter in B and block the 3 screws in the gib.
6.Bring back the tailstock to the counter by adjusting the parallelism using the 2 screws 160-65.023.
7.Check by placing the comparator in A and blocking the eccentric 160-65.024

So it looks like I have to adjust the lateral movement of the tail-stock way over away from me until the 3 screw are visible. I will try this in the morning.

As for the V and gib setup, it seems that when the tail-stock height is dead center then the V slot matches perfectly on the V slide. If the center height is above or below the correct height, then the two V’s will be slightly out. I think this assumes equal wear on V slot and flat opposite side?

Glad you figured this out.....
Nice machine.....They worked pretty hard to make it complex....
Would wonder about the accuracy of a lathe center translating some position error when having to shift the tail stock upper
way over to gain access to the retaining screws....Giving a false reading on the horizontal tram.....
Then you move the tail stock back to center and find that the height is off....

Seems like a stupid system to make for a smooth cosmetic arrangement. Would it look a bit more industrial and be easier to get an accurate outcome....

Cheers Ross

The audience here is in awe, as the 160 is scarcer than hen's teeth!
The adjusting screw on the taper may have disengaged from the thread. Push it firmly but not brutally inwards while you rotate it clockwise, to see if the threads reengage. If so the taper may be at the lowest setting, and this may explain your troubles. There is a drawing of a very similar, but newer tailstock in the manual for the 150, seen here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AixuXkj7rT9Jswxl_2sFxwm2rhen?e=z246IO The tailstock may be newer than the lathe, i am unsure if it existed in 1964. Good luck!

Back