What's new
What's new

Sight Glass Help Needed - Yam Lathe

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
The sight glass on my Yam lathe has been seeping oil, I'm working on a list of little stuff to order from McMaster and thought a new sight glass could be 1 more thing on the order. McMaster has lots of sight glasses, but nothing that matches, just looked at MSC too and not seeing what I need there either, looks like they are all threaded.

Hole in casting measures approx 1.125" smooth bore/no threads, a rubber grommet goes in first, then the plastic sight glass 1.010" dia presses into that.

I thought this would be a common part, looks like I'm wrong, does anyone know where I can find this type of sight glass?

I saw the press fit ones on McMaster, but hole diameter is not correct at 1.25", and it states max wall thickness of 9/32" whereas wall thickness on lathe is closer to 3/4"-1" by the eyeball micrometer. Re-check bore diameter and getting 1.123, but can't quite get a straight shot at it, pretty sure its 1.125".

Couple pics below of the old one

Attachments

• sg 1.jpg
    sg 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
  • sg 2.jpg
    sg 2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 40
  • sg 3.jpg
    sg 3.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 39
  • sg 4.jpg
    sg 4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 40
Called Webb this morning and emailed them the pics and dimensions, did not sound too hopeful, hard parts they can get, soft parts is a maybe.

Exploring my options, tap to 1"npt is possible, but there is the chip issue and its kind of tight inside that gearbox. Other thought is just turn a bushing with a 25mm id, press or locktite (I'll have to turn it on the lessor lathe) in place, then use a press in 25mm sight glass. Any other ideas?

Spin up your own from "lucite", plexiglas etc.

I've done so on my Mazak, It's been years, no crazing or yellowing.

Back