What's new
What's new

Smart & Brown Model A MK1

alcro1998

Cast Iron
For some time now I have been super interested in high quality tool room lathes.(Monarch 10ee, HLV-H, Schaublin, ect) I really have no need for one but REALLY want one and have been keeping an eye out for one. I recently have come across a Smart & Brown model A MK1. It appears to be a super well built machine and is a great size for my tiny shop. I really like the mini Rivett 1020s look it has going on. It also seems to come with a lot of features and the necessary tooling. The guy is asking $2,400 but I think I will try and ask a bit less. Seems hard to beat when people are buying little South Bend lathes with similar tooling for the same price.

From what I can tell, Smart and Brown makes some super high quality lathes but I can't seem to find much information at all on the Model A MK1 or MK2. I was wondering if there were any people out there who own on of these lathes and can give some information on quality and how these compare to other tool room lathes like the ones mentioned above. I am also wondering what to look for in the machine and what the differences are between the MK1 and MK2.

Thank you all so much!

PPICTUES OF THE LATHE- SMART AND BROWN - Album on Imgur

For some time now I have been super interested in high quality tool room lathes.(Monarch 10ee, HLV-H, Schaublin, ect) I really have no need for one but REALLY want one and have been keeping an eye out for one. I recently have come across a Smart & Brown model A MK1. It appears to be a super well built machine and is a great size for my tiny shop. I really like the mini Rivett 1020s look it has going on. It also seems to come with a lot of features and the necessary tooling. The guy is asking $2,400 but I think I will try and ask a bit less. Seems hard to beat when people are buying little South Bend lathes with similar tooling for the same price.

From what I can tell, Smart and Brown makes some super high quality lathes but I can't seem to find much information at all on the Model A MK1 or MK2. I was wondering if there were any people out there who own on of these lathes and can give some information on quality and how these compare to other tool room lathes like the ones mentioned above. I am also wondering what to look for in the machine and what the differences are between the MK1 and MK2.

Thank you all so much!

PPICTUES OF THE LATHE- SMART AND BROWN - Album on Imgur

Have you looked at: Lathes + Machine Tool Archive to see the Smart & Brown lathes
Try this link for a Model A Mk1:
Smart & Brown Model A lathe

Back