Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What condition are the bed ways in?

I had a Webb Takasawa TSL-800. It was a bit tatty, but the ways were in absolutely pristine condition. Not a mark or scratch on them. Every Takasawa TSL-800/1000 I've looked at seems to be the same, I've seen a few with a little wear but never any major wear.

The TSL-800 I had was an outstanding lathe, the TSL-1000 would be even better. the only downside was having to fill the resevoir that drip lubricates the feed gearbox.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by triumph406 View Post
    What condition are the bed ways in?
    The ways are in pretty good shape, with the exception of two chunked spots just under the chuck. It appears either someone dropped the chuck, or a few untightened jaws flew out from a scroll chuck at high speed torque.

How often did you refill that reservoir?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by e-fishin-c View Post

How often did you refill that reservoir?
    maybe every 15 minutes. It doesn't take much oil, and a gallon isn't that expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by e-fishin-c View Post
    Lol......you nailed it. I was wondering how that got beat up, didn’t figure that out. My plan is to make a t-wrench holder bracket like I have on my larger lathe over the headstock gear cover.
    Some lathe makers slope the top of the feed box so chuck keys, tools etc can't be stored on top of the feed box. That prevents damage to data plates that are usually positioned on there. Your previous owner could have stored his chuck key there but he decided to toss it into the tray and damage the feed plate.

Regards Tyrone.

5. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Your previous owner could have stored his chuck key there but he decided to toss it into the tray and damage the feed plate.

Regards Tyrone.
    Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post

Your gear label is beat up from chuck wrench "storage", too!
    I don't know why the label is so beat up, but it's certainly not from wrench 'storage'. It's on a vertical surface, low down by the tumbler selector, there's nowhere to store a wrench down there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know why the label is so beat up, but it's certainly not from wrench 'storage'. It's on a vertical surface, low down by the tumbler selector, there's nowhere to store a wrench down there.
    I thought there was just enough room for someone to stand the wrench up on the lip of the tray and lean it against the data plate. Maybe I was wrong. It's hard to see how that damage was caused otherwise.

Regards Tyrone.

8. Likes triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I thought there was just enough room for someone to stand the wrench up on the lip of the tray and lean it against the data plate. Maybe I was wrong. It's hard to see how that damage was caused otherwise.

Regards Tyrone.
    It's certainly curious, the TSL-800 I had had pretty bad paint, but the plates with feeds.thread info were in pristine condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 248706

The chuck wrench in the pic is longer than the one that caused the damage, but you get the idea.

It's very handy storage for a chuck wrench. So now I have a "personalized" label.

It seems there were at least two different geartrains for the TSL's, with different controls.

Attachment 248707

This version wouldn't accomodate the chuck key in quite the same way as the Yuasa version.

Triumph406- perhaps you operated one of the latter? Or perhaps you had better manners.

(Having a bit of trouble with the new software - pics don't show like they useta.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definelty when I hang the t-wrench on the two levers itís plainly obvious the wrench does all the damage.

Neilho your pics donít show for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's try that again.

img_1122-2-medium-.jpg newsenban-large-.jpg

Hopefully, the pix are showing now.

My lathe on the left, showing how a chuck key could be stored, very handy! 2nd pic showing another Takisawa gbox version.

13. Likes triumph406, cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's try that again.

img_1122-2-medium-.jpg newsenban-large-.jpg

Hopefully, the pix are showing now.

My lathe on the left, showing how a chuck key could be stored, very handy! 2nd pic showing another Takisawa gbox version.
    I guess that could be the cause of the damage to the plates. It would never have occured to me to store the chuck key that way, but as always each to his own.

The TSL-800 I had, had the same gearbox arrangement as the picture on the left. I've never seen a Takasawa like the one in the right hand picture.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Making progress, headstock gear case flushed and refilled with fresh lube. Saddle, apron assy and feed/lead screws polished and installed and tested. I love the handwheel carriage feed kickout rod assy.

Dan from Oakland is taking care of a missing 102T change gear ( thanx Dan)

Next up will dealing with way wipers, thinking of getting a 1 meter stock length of KabelSchlepp ( KabelSchlepp Standard Way-Wipers - U.S. Tsubaki )wiper. It’s the same stuff on my Fryer CNC lathe and seems pretty good but open to any suggestions from the PM brain trust.

16. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta love Photobucket. Watermark on every picture. Gave up on them a long time ago.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 706jim View Post
    Gotta love Photobucket. Watermark on every picture. Gave up on them a long time ago.
    I agree, but it’s better than paying with my first born. I can live with a watermark, but it can be seen without (double click on pic)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The TSL-800 I had, had the same gearbox arrangement as the picture on the left. I've never seen a Takasawa like the one in the right hand picture.
    I didn't notice it first time around, but the second pic shows some evidence of the upper levers as the chuck key storage, too.

And pm member gcude also has a TSL with the "other" geartrain arrangement.

20. Likes gcude liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lol......I was watching his series last night, not sure how I feel about having a plastic nut though. Luckily mine is in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The KabelSchlepp wiper looks good, though it seems like it could run into a lot of work to custom fit it.

Another possible source would be Takisawa USA. I assume expensive, but might be worth it in saved time.

Two year old or so contact info for friendly parts guy: Brian Holm [email protected] Phone: 847-419-0046 ext: 1005

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During the initial inspection of the Tak lathe I noticed the compound feed screw felt crunchy not smooth. Figuring i’d Have to make a new screw and nut I was pleasantly surprised to see it was two pitted thrust bearings that were easily available (NSK 51102) thru a local supplier.

Then poking around to a loose power switch and burnt out pilot light It popped a control fuse. Unfortunately the fuse is a strange Japanese 6a fuse. This week I’ll change it over to something more common and avail. (http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...pscty9re3o.jpg)

My inch change gears set complete (60T, 102T, 40T) ....... (http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...psw80voyon.jpg )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally able to spend a few minutes on the Taki. The KabelSchlepp wiper material worked out pretty good. Tried different ways to cut it with some close angles, a compound miter saw with carbide blade worked the best. Was going to tig weld the alum extrusions but the roll-pin trick seemed rugged enough.

[URL=http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/e-fishin-c/media/71CCB6E8-EA5B-4214-9C75-840F08C12213_zpsavqjrhqe.jpg.html][/URL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't notice it first time around, but the second pic shows some evidence of the upper levers as the chuck key storage, too.

And pm member gcude also has a TSL with the "other" geartrain arrangement.
    I also host manuals for the "manual" Takisawa and Webb lathes on my website: Resources - Tools 4 Machines

26. Likes e-fishin-c, neilho liked this post