Takisawa TSL-1000 project lathe - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wouldn't surprise that VAG would stock wipers in the correct profile for that!

On one of the lathes here, feed chart is screen printed onto thick aluminium, chuck key was chained at the top of the headstock cover and every use would have it swinging and erasing a bit more of the info each time, grrr.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Wouldn't surprise that VAG would stock wipers in the correct profile for that!

VAG?.....Where?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Making chips

I did make some good headway on the Taki. Was able to crank some decent curls after a few tweaks and tightens on gibs and compound. Went thru different speeds and feeds and satisfied this thing has some guts to move metal.
    My first threading came out strange after my scratch pass didn’t match my thread pitch gauge (note to self: put on reading glasses while reading the front plate). All is good now.

GCude, thanx for putting those on your website. Lots of good info there.

Next up is opening the seized gray mills coolant pump.

4. Likes neilho, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by e-fishin-c View Post
    VAG?.....Where?
    Yeah, I wondered that, too.

Googling VAG turned up lots of references to Volkswagen AG, then "Madge the Vag" (a Youtube personality) and then vag as an abbreviation for vagina, and it kinda deteriorated from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    Yeah, I wondered that, too.

Googling VAG turned up lots of references to Volkswagen AG, then "Madge the Vag" (a Youtube personality) and then vag as an abbreviation for vagina, and it kinda deteriorated from there.
    Nothing that exciting unfortunately! Self lubricating properties might come in handy, but the yelps every time a hot chip came in contact would be distracting.

This is North America anyway, Ameropean Corporation distributor of way wipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah. it's VAJ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Turned my energy to the coolant pump, found froze bearings with overheated/shorted field windings.

e9b6129f-bc46-4de2-9b76-fc8595b8cf99.jpg

Neilho bailed me out with a used replacement.....

41baf072-ff48-461f-a925-b1e068201720.jpg

Next up will be spoiling this machine with a new DRO. Looking at many makes and models. My mill and main lathe have basic older Anilams, haven’t had any troubles but they work good and are obsolete now.

Lots of cheap-os on FleaBay (Ditron, Shars etc) but I’m thinking of going with something on the middle road like Newall DP500 with magnetic scales. Accurite seems a bit pricey for this project. Anybody have any pros and cons that can speak from experience on any one these above mentioned DRO’s ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got all the gunk outa that thing yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Newall all the way!

11. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Newall all the way!
    Well, some good advice taken. Pulled the trigger on a Newall DP500 a few weeks ago.

I’ve been poking around between real paying work.

Last edited by e-fishin-c; 04-08-2019 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added info

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Taki came with a 6-jaw but yesterday found this 6-jaw with reversible jaws (very handy in my work. Met another PM forum member and had a lot in common.

A1CNC, thanx again....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally got a chance this week to play on the Taki. Finished up the crossfeed reader and saddle reader.

While it’s not my first DRO it is my first install from scratch. Had to be creative on brackets but I’m confident this will outlast me as it seems rock solid.4a742aaa-169c-4e2b-b56c-2fb66c1454ac.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fe0b416d-deda-44b8-9359-689c1e21f2ec.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure why the last pic was turned, my photobucket wants me to upgrade ($$)

Gonna look into some wiring cat track to clean up the scale wires on the back behind the bed. On my larger engine lathe I used IGUS stuff and it has lasted over 20 years with no issues. I see some cheap track stuff on amazon and flea-bay made for cnc router tables etc, some of this may work fir the two flimsy cables I have.

Next up will be a custom fitting back splash shield. I purposely want to hold off using this lathe till itís complete to my satisfaction cuz I know if I donít itíll never get finished. Itís goal in life will be to take on small jobs when my other machines are tied up with bigger time consuming projects.

Itís nice to see with lights on

4903f7ed-d67c-45b9-babd-f04fdf68e6f3.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally putting finishing touches to the Taki. Made a chuck key holder jacket (to keep my labels from getting any worse). Very happy how the custom back splash came out. I use coolant in my work and this will help control swarf rats.

I’ll be moving it to the it’s resting place after a few leveling feet installed, then level.63bae88e-dac6-43ab-8782-84c67f254548.jpg9c8f1924-dc3a-4fd2-bee7-78dad997ba0e.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

4dc67677-fb0e-49fc-9a8b-321233d6742d.jpga8eec1b7-cb18-43da-966e-efeb2e8f4734.jpg

(Dad burn IPhone rotating pics again......)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Overall it’s been a good project, only thing missing is a fancy paint job but I’m not a big fan of a rebuild that is mostly paint work.

At this stage last up will be fitting the new 6-jaw adjust chuck (purchased from A1CNC)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work! I have had my TSL-800D for about a week, and It is for sure a good choice. Got it from the original owner who got it new in 1976.

I see that my lathe has only 6 selector positions instead of the 8 e-fishin-c has. Fortunately it came with a full set and more of gears, which are also a bit different...no 102 for example. I also have to change gears to cut a 13TPI thread. Sort of annoying mainly because the Bridgeport hold down bolts are all 1/2-13.

These are excellent lathes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bought a TSL800 for a grand. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Looks likie it's built decently for a little guy, but the feedbox and changegears seem hoky to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just added a DRO from Dropros to my Takisawa TSL-800D. It's the D80 control with the small slim magnetic scales. It was straightforward to add, though it took about a day and used almost every tool I had. I would not like to take this on without a milling machine, since all the brackets needed either modification or throwing them away and starting over. This is like the other DROs I've worked with, nothing bad about this one.

The small magnetic scale on the cross slide made it possible to install the reader outside the footprint of the tailstock as it approaches the carriage, so not much tailstock reach was used up.

This unit has a lot of features for the price - I spent about a half day with the folks at Dropros and they had me well prepped for the installation.

This is a good addition to this lathe.

22. Likes gcude, e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Brown View Post
    I just added a DRO from Dropros to my Takisawa TSL-800D. It's the D80 control with the small slim magnetic scales. It was straightforward to add, though it took about a day and used almost every tool I had. I would not like to take this on without a milling machine, since all the brackets needed either modification or throwing them away and starting over.......
    Agreed, a mill makes it challenging but doable