What's new
What's new

toolpost grindin on a Schaublin 102

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
How bad of an idea is it to use a 102 for occasional cylindrical grinding?

sorry the title is messed up, the post went on accident.

Luke

Grinding on a lathe, especially a precision lathe, is something I usually try to avoid. I do have a Dumore Series 57 tool-post grinder but have used it only for in-place grinding the bores of my lathe collets. For this operation I have covered the the whole late - with just the grinder and head-stock exposed - in a oiled sheet of cotton (old bead spread). After the grinding (with small coolant flow) I've cleaned all as much as possible.

How bad of an idea is it to use a 102 for occasional cylindrical grinding?

Not a problem for small grinding jobs. The 102 bed does not need to be oiled so it is easier to clean. You will have to protect the machines sensitive parts from the grinding dust and thoroughly clean the machine afterward.

I like to spread rags soaked in wd-40 over the compound and bed when grinding. The dust sticks to it and does not spread all over.

I think it is fine once and a while

I have a round head backgeared 102, maybe 60s vintage, that came with a drawer full of B8 mounted grinding wheels, grinding slide, and a couple of the grinding heads. The wheels were all definitely used, and the machine was in very good shape. I imagine the previous owner covered up the slide well when grinding.

I grind on it maybe once a month, sometimes carbide with diamond wheels, sometimed steel with conventional wheels. I've had it 15 years and it's as good as when I bought it. I cover the slide well and clean well afterwards. One thing I don't do is dress the wheels on that machine. When necessary I rig up the grinding head elsewhere for that, it's just waaay too messy.

Back