What's new
What's new

TOS SV18RA lathe

drogus

Aluminum
Hi,

I bought a TOS tool room lathe - SV18RA. It's much heavier than most tool room lathes I've seen at about 1.9t (~4000 pounds). I got a longer bed version (1m or 40inches) and it seems like the bulk of the weight is in the headstock and tailstock area - there is a big gap under the bed in the middle. Now I'm wondering - has anyone transported this particular machine or knows how to deal with it? Can I use a forklift with a large pallet? Can I lift it by the bed? (though I'm not sure it would balance anyway? ie. headstock area is probably much much havier) Or maybe I need a crane of some kind to lift it up, but then I'm not sure where are the points to hang it. Sometimes there are holes for pipes or threaded hole for an eye bolt, but I can't find any info on that particular model. I have a manual, but it's in Czech and I don't see any drawings, which would show the method.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Plans for the machine you can download from that french site full of manuals
TOS SV18 R & RA
I found no lifting instructions though
I would see if a sling around the left side over the chiptray and under the headstock will not harm anything Another sling in the web or under the bedways Make sure the spindels are free from the sling then
Each sling on a fork (with padding) of your forklift Lock the forks at the widest position and another sling over the forks so they cannot spread

Peter

Thanks for the advice Peter, that sounds very sensible. I will need to make sure I'll be there when they will load the thing, btw. I'll be using a transportation company and I have heard a lot of horror stories. Usually I pick machines myself, but this one is just too heavy, I only have a driver's license for vehicles of up to 3.5t.

The horror stories you hear are from the US
Completly different story here in Holland And I suppose in Germany too
Very competent people Especialy those driving a boom truck
BTW I would hire a articulated boom truck It can do lifting on both sides and transport At least if distance is so it can be done in one day

Peter

There must be a hole for a lifting bar under the motor cover. 40+mm bar can pass through.On the tailstock side I am not so sure, so you can pass your sling under the bed and between carriage and tailstock.Good luck!

Thanks for all the help! And as zephyrous mentioned there are indeed holes for a lifting bar that are accessible after removing the panels on the front and the back under the headstock. When lifting it we also used the ribbing of the bed and it worked good. I already sold the lathe, but if anyone is interested in its functions I have a video that I created for the auction: TOS SV18RA lathe for sale in Berlin, Germany - YouTube

Back