What's new
What's new

UMA 17 lathe

slnielsen

Hot Rolled
Hello!
Just saved a lathe at the edge of a scrapcontainer, and started inspecting it today! :D
It used to be a production lathe with pneumatic support, and electrical driven slide (lenght). The spindle for the crossslide is missing. Does anyone outthere know anything on these machines, a websearch revealed allmost nothing! :confused:
Specially looking for mechanical drawings..
Need to do some rewiring as well, but mostly removing unused components..
Tomorrow i'll take some photos of it, and post them..
Søren

[ 10-14-2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: søren ]

Yes, I know.. Needs a bit cleaning...
But for the price (zero) I think it's worth saving..
The story of this machine (dont know if it's true) is that the founder of the company were I work bought 20 of these machines by the danish army, when closing down a navybase.. Somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's . He died in 78.. Took them to the company, and changed them from manually to fully automatic production machines.. We have one left, still producing parts in the company today..

SANY0419.jpg

SANY0421.jpg

SANY0424.jpg

Sany0420.jpg

Sany0426.jpg

Sany0423.jpg

Hej Søren

Wow :eek: Det er lidt af et restaurerings projekt du har fået fingrene i ;) . Jeg er selv lige ved at lægge sidste hånd på en Colchester Master (RH) - men den var alligevel i bedre stand at dømme efter billederne. Vil du lave den om til en manuel maskine igen eller hvordan? Anyway, go' fornøjelse.
Mvh
PeterM

Yeah, it's a bit of a project, but still, havent't spent more than time on it yet.. No, not true by the way, I bought a bicyclechain today, :D , (5$) so that the second gearchanger could work again! Any of you guys seen a gear like this before?? I sure haven't!

SANY0434.jpg
SANY0440.jpg

Cross slide missing the TR16X4 spindle (nuts were there in excellent condition, should be, only used by the army, never done much work! :D ) Ordered one today (bare spindle) through my father inlaw at the affordable price of 20$ for 1 meter. Looks a lot worse on the pics, than in real life! Only grease and light surface rust.

SANY0433.jpg

Any suggestions on what the two extra wires comming out are for? At first I thought I had myself a 2-speed motor, by the look of the gearplate, but according to the typeplate of the motor I don't! Maybe a thermal switch??
SANY0439.jpg

SANY0438.jpg

Soren,
I'm not knowledgeable about European equipment. The speed charts must be for 4 and 6 pole motors at 50 Herz. The dual speed motor I have in my milling machine has many more windings brought out, to the terminal box, than is shown in your photograph. I think you guessed correctly--the terminals are for bimetallic switch in the coil circuit of the motor contactor. This is the arrangement in the HES we have talked about. The only UMA I have seen is the Thurman model--high speed, light construction and a pleasure to operate.

Søren
That is a nice gearbox you got there - would love to see pictures of the inside of that.
The restored UMA looks really cool (though is seems to be another variant from yours, right?)
I don't know what you’re heading for here - but it seems to me that your machine would make a wonderful CNC project.
Keep the pictures coming as you go along.

PeterM

Larry :
Any personal experience on operating that Thurman model yourselve or just running with rumours?? ;)

My goal is not a fully restored lathe as the above, but a useable one... As of now I'm missing the chuck, not so usefull at the moment.. Powered it up yesterday, and the motor and gearbox runs.. Sligthly noise from the gearbox, the sign says 3,5 liter oil, don't think there's any in... Blew only the fuses two times, pretty ok.. :D

The feed gearbox worked as well, but the adjustment was stucked.. Will take some pictures of it when able, weird things keep poppin' up on this ol' gal'

What was under the lid :
SANY0442.jpg

What was below again.. An execentric which "spread the legs" seen on the next picture..
SANY0445.jpg

SANY0444.jpg

Wonder if I can fit the pieces together again?? :confused:

Until next..
Søren

Latest news.. The motor kept on poppin' my fuses,
and I have been in doubt of what I could do about it.. (12A x 6-7 in the start moment. The 16A fuses don't last long in this house!!)
Then I suddenly got hold of a Danfoss VLT (VFD) which just fit my 5.5 kw motor. I wasn't sure if the darn thing even worked, so I wired it up and plugged it in. At 9 in the evening, just the day when the wife HAS to watch Desperate Housewives... What a mistake! Due to the high leakage to ground, my circuit breaker switched off! Talk about a furious lady.. :eek:
But today, I, powered it up, (without ground connection), and it works. Tested it with a 2.2 kw motor, and it worked beautifully! :D
The lathe is constructed in such a way, that there
is no clutch, so switching on means both gearbox, belt and spindle.. It is a lot of weight! Hopefully I'll get further now...

Soren,
I am happy to hear you are making some progress. I posted a question about soft start circuitry in the rotary phase converter/variable frequency drive section about a similar problem I am expecting with the HES Cholet 435. I received the instruction manual today. I have addressed a question to you and Nguyen in the European lathe section. Good luck.
Larry
P.S. Don't be too hard on your wife. I watch the show weekly. Carlos and senora are my favorites. Television shows that develop characters are rare.

Succes!
Connected the VFD to the lathe yesterday.. The oldie could run the 3000 RPM! Sounded like a jet engine. :eek:
Scared my two boys, who was in the garage with me, and even me a bit!! Now its time to do some turning so the chuck can fit! Moving closer to the target!
Untill next, and thanks for reading!
Søren

3000RPM and no shrapnel. I'm impressed. The only VFD experience I have is with an antique 230V-1PH input unit .
The 5 or 6 circuit boards were housed in an enclosure of approximately 8 cubic feet or 0,22 meters. One day it blew all of its fuses. The filter choke/coil had shorted out. Replacement cost was exorbitant. I have no experience with coil winding and the laminated core may have been damaged as well. Off to the recycling center it went. I'm not familar with metric thread designations. Can you explain the TR16X4 for the spindle/feed screw? $20 seems a VERY good price for the replacement. Will you need to make modifications for the screw to work? I see a brush type universal motor on the carriage apron. Does this motor provide power cross feeds? Were the UMA lathe auto conversions done with pneumatics?
Thanks,
Larry

The motor on the apron is for rapid feed on the lenght axis. The machine used the built-in feed gearbox for machining, and used the rapid when not. On the cross slide there was a pneumatic cylinder on the backside with two inserttools to machin a piece on both ends at he same time.
And the links trapezoid spindle is 16mm outside diameter with a pitch of 4 mm. If it's any comfort to you, your inch system also confuses me (a lot).

Soren,
Thanks for the info. I guessed the 16X4 part. I guessed the TR referred to the thread form. Is the thread comparable to a 29 degree Acme thread commonly used to impart axial movement? Does trapezoid mean the shaft has a square or hex feature? I suppose if the pnuematic cylinder were mounted to the carriage and it's tools mounted up side down you could still use the cross and compound slides in the usual manner.
Thanks,
Larry

The TL (mispelled in the previous post!) means Trapezoid Links (left), and without knowing it exactly, I think it's comparable with ACME threads. It's mostly used on movement of axis. In fact on your HES there is a thread like mine, on your thread spindle. As i recall it, it's the one at the top? Only larger scale...
The TL spindle ( 1 meter long´, fully rollthreaded) is in my garage awaiting the chuck to be mounted, so I can make a smaller diameter in the end, making me able to mount 2 axial (?) bearings. And the finally a handle for it as well.

The tools were indeed mounted upside down, as you figured out! The were also a tool for lenght turning of the workpiece. It was mounted on the continuing tool. Dont know the correct name for it, but ist the small thing you see in the first and second picture. Is it the compound slide?
Pardon, my bad skills in technical english, but I'm learning a lot by you and the other guys at this site!
Thanks,
Søren

So as not ot open another thread i will post here! I own an uma lathe and wouldm to know if someone has the manual of this thing...i have seen in another foroum that someone do have the manual but i find it impossible to contact im as the forum dont lt me to register...i wpuld like any info you may have please thanks alot for your time!

Nope. Not done.. Left for the scrapyard after fiddeling with it a year or so.. Wish I had kept the spareparts and manuals for Pikolo, which is now in the same situation as I was. :)

Acctually i found the manual from a german forum!The guys there were kind enough to give it to me...i am now thinking of making a youtube video to show the progress :)

Back