What's new
What's new

Voest Lathe Electrical Issue

jlakes85

Aluminum
I just completed wiring up everything for my recently acquired Voest DA series lathe. I am having an issue where sometimes I will be able to run the lathe through all speeds, but other times the lathe motor will not start in any speed setting. I am assuming there is an issue with the relay between the incoming shop power to the panel and the main motor. Has anyone experienced a similar type of problem. This is a circa 1980's lathe. Could there also be an issue with some sort of safety interlocking device to prevent crashing the gear train? Also, does anyone have a manual for sale for this lathe?

Thanks,

jlakes85

Ive had a voest da for about 20 years. I had a similar problem and if its the same as mine you should be careful till its fixed. In the right leg where the switchgear is, there is a reversing switch, allen bradley I think, that was put on by the importer. The forward and reverse switches are linked by a mechanical crossbar linkage that keeps you from engaging both directions at the same time. At one point my lathe would not start when the forward position lever was engaged unless the lever was moved in and out of engagement several times. That meant that the spindle start/direction lever could be pulled up and the spindle would not turn! The lever is spring loaded but sometimes it could be held up for several seconds and then suddenly the spindle would start! Im generally a one man shop but I do get other people operating the machines once and a while so I checked the electrics. I sprayed contact cleaner into the solenoids and it worked for a few days but I eventually had to take them apart and clean them up. Turns out that some 40 year crud had built up in one of the square brass sheaths that acts as a bushing for the solenoid.

I have a manual on PDF, send me a PM with your email and Ill send it to you.

Hello.
I just rescued a 17x59 Voest lathe from being taken to the scrap pile.
Could you be kind enough to email the manuals you have for it?
Thank you.
-Rich

Hi could anyone please provide me with this PDF manual I just acquired a Voest DA and am having issues as well with the electric switch

what exact model is it for? I am not 100% on what model mine is there is no name plate or model number on it anywhere?

I have the manual for the newer square type lathe and i have rhe manual for the older rounded top lathe. I will send you both for the same price. They have detailed schematics. EF0E79D4-98F5-4D28-81DA-C9384D666CFC.jpg6633AFCF-98EA-4068-95E2-A3520D35D68A.jpg

I just recently acquired a Voest DA 250 2000. I'm having some issues getting it running with a VFD connected directly to the motor. I haven't done much searching yet on here, just kind of wanted to let everyone know there was a new Voest owner in the mix.

This should be bypassed...
IMG_20181221_131635992.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I've never seen it run and I want to connect it to the VFD I have to see it do so. Then I will spend the energy to put it inside my shop and start fixing it right. I just need to wire the motor low voltage Delta temporarily so I can see it run with the vfd

I've never seen it run and I want to connect it to the VFD I have to see it do so. Then I will spend the energy to put it inside my shop and start fixing it right. I just need to wire the motor low voltage Delta temporarily so I can see it run with the vfd
Who am I kidding!? I gotta have the VFD for 3phase! Completely slipped my mind. All I have at the house is 220v.

Back