What's new
What's new

Webb (MORI MS clone) cross slide installation - help needed

ssoeder

Plastic
Hi all, I've got a WEBB 17 x 40 engine lathe that was really sticky and didn't travel very freely, so I took my compound and cross slide off to give everything a good thorough cleaning and lubrification. I disassembled and reassembled the compound screw assembly without problem, however I'm having a hell of a time getting the cross-slide re-installed. I just can't seem to get the screw to engage properly. I can get it to start, but it goes about a half to one turn and binds up. I've tried starting it at various points of rotation, but I just can't seem to get it right.

Any tips for reinstalling the cross slide? Do I need to remove the screw from the carriage, or loosen/remove the captive nut from the slide? I didn't change anything with regards to the captive nut adjustment (the "nut" the screw rides in that is made of the three brass wedges) so I expected it to go back on just like it came off. I've tried to install the slide with the gib in, but loose, and with the gib completely out, and either way I just can't seem to get that screw to engage correctly.

Hi all, I've got a WEBB 17 x 40 engine lathe that was really sticky and didn't travel very freely, so I took my compound and cross slide off to give everything a good thorough cleaning and lubrification. I disassembled and reassembled the compound screw assembly without problem, however I'm having a hell of a time getting the cross-slide re-installed. I just can't seem to get the screw to engage properly. I can get it to start, but it goes about a half to one turn and binds up. I've tried starting it at various points of rotation, but I just can't seem to get it right.

Any tips for reinstalling the cross slide? Do I need to remove the screw from the carriage, or loosen/remove the captive nut from the slide? I didn't change anything with regards to the captive nut adjustment (the "nut" the screw rides in that is made of the three brass wedges) so I expected it to go back on just like it came off. I've tried to install the slide with the gib in, but loose, and with the gib completely out, and either way I just can't seem to get that screw to engage correctly.
First, I have zero familiarity with your machine. With this said, I'm wondering about that brass "nut" to which you make reference. Is it something like a barrel nut through which the screw passes? If the screw does indeed pass through the nut as it does with some machines, I would pull it out and check the threads. They might well be fubar. This observation is from personal experience.

Best of luck with your problem.

Squier

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma

...pull it out and check the threads. They might well be fubar.

Yep.
I ended up pulling the whole assembly apart - it's 2 threaded pieces with a wedge in the middle that you can adjust to take out backlash. The last thread on both was rolled over. I took a hand deburr tool to it and just shaved that bit of razor thread out of there and it all went back together just dandy.

Thanks!

Back