It is geometricly rebuild with turcite and repainted with 2K paint
But it has been a while I had a machine like this
I hope you enjoy
peter from Holland

84407-dsc04857.jpg

84408-dsc04860.jpg

84409-dsc04861.jpg

Peter:
Thanks for sharing that...very nice looking machine!
I don't know the model, so perhaps you can educate me.
Photos make the bed look as though the rear "Z" ways are higher relative to the horizon than the front.
Sort of a mini slant bed if you like...is this correct or am i just seeing an illusion created by how the photos are taken?

Cheers Ross

Not an illusion

That's the Ergo slant on life!

The operator is supposed to be able to do "most" things while seated on a shop stool.

Hello Ross

Yes this lathe has a 15dgr tilted bed for ergonomic reassons
As far as I can guess the Philips corporation ordered Weiler to come up with a ergonomic designed lathe like the AI Hembrug Ergonomic
Hembrug stopped fabricating these in 1983 I think

Originaly it did not have a good reputation As far as I understood the underside of the carriage had a epoxy surface like the Hembrug
But as that surface was much smaller as on the box ways of the Hembrug it had wear real soon
But after overhauling them and the ways were covered with turcite and also the backside of the ways was ground and is made a bearing part now they got much better

peter from holland

Hello Ross

Yes this lathe has a 15dgr tilted bed for ergonomic reassons
As far as I can guess the Philips corporation ordered Weiler to come up with a ergonomic designed lathe like the AI Hembrug Ergonomic

Couldnt' Philips achieve the same result with a "regular" lathe by just raising the rear leveling pads a little ? ;)

Congrats on the machine : it looks like new !

Ahh

Couldnt' they achieve the same result with a "regular" lathe by just giving the cutting tool 15° more rake angle and 15° less relief ?

In the eye of the beholder!

Ha ha !

You were posting while I was editing my post.
Never mind, you see there were even more options Weiler engineers could have choosen from :D

That's a boxy looking beauty! Very nice. (My first impression was that the collet closer had been installed on the wrong end. :) )

That long handle that appears to be coming out of the headstock-is that the collet closer? Assuming it is, how does one tighten, loosen or install a collet?

I'd be a while learning the new position of the traverse and cross slide handwheels, they being opposite of every lathe I've run. Oh well, I'm slightly canted off horizontal myself.

Neil

Really nice looking!
But the slanted bed on a manual lathe ... is it to better aim the chips directly into your face?

Nick
I've posted a couple of times about this design here in the past, complete with original literature. The theory of the slant bed was better viewing and operation when sitting down.

ergo.jpg

Unfortunately now we know that sitting is unhealthy and we sit too much as it is !

The theory of the slant bed was better viewing and operation when sitting down.

Better viewing, no doubt about that.
Sitting in front of the lathe, collecting hot chips on your lap? I have some doubts wether that is good. ;)

But still a nice lathe I'd like to have! (But won't buy).

Nick

Better viewing, no doubt about that.
Sitting in front of the lathe, collecting hot chips on your lap? I have some doubts wether that is good. ;)
Hot chips no problem... as you can see from literature the machine is meant to be run by ghosts...chips pass thru.

If there was, then I'd imagine the front ways could be made larger to compensate

Well that was one of the complains that the ways were too small
We compensated that by using the backside of the ways too
We grinded them and installed some adjustable guidingblocks
Also the ways are Turcite now while originally they were a epoxy
I found some collets for it and a new Bison chuck is comming in for it

What do you people think Should i put on a new (Jenix=Korean) DRO or a older Heidenhain. A black one

Peter from holland

BTW the name is Weiler Ergodor not Ergodur

Back