What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador- Anyone got manuals ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Got the original sales receipt, but no manuals. Killer is I thought it had them, but the paperwork pile in the cabinet turned out to be for a Alzmetall drill and some other odds and ends :mad: 1990 model if it matters.

(on edit) Actually it just occured to me the receipt might be for tooling they ordered later (all in German), such that the lathe may be older than 1990...as I recall they were "white" in color by 1990, and this is a greenie.

Don:
Most likely a dead end but i spoke with a very nice gentleman who represents Weiler here in the US. I was trying to get information about new machines (yea right). He spoke perfect english and he was very eager to promote their product here.
Perhaps he would be of some help with the manuals you require.
Ingomar R Nemling
[email protected]
704-504-2229
Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross. I talked with Weiler at IMTS this past Sept and was aware of their Charlotte, NC US headquarters but just flat out forgot about it.

What's funny is, I bought the thing in the same city.

Nonetheless, I should rephrase my question...anyone got ~free~ manuals ? (i.e. I can copy)

Weiler Matador Manual:

Funny you should ask -

When the NBS got their new one, they set it out on the floor right next to my bench. The manual never made it out of the files in the office.

Our lathe was painted a nice blue-gray.

It is a straight forward engine lathe. We used DTE light and Vactra No.2 way oil. All of our Deckels and the other German machinery called for these lubricants, so that's what the Weiler got.

In a shop full of HLV-H's, the Weiler didn't go over so well, the German journeymen didn't even use it. It became for the most part, "my" lathe.

The biggest "drawback" was the handwheel collet closer.

The machine has a big heavy spindle and a powerful gear drive so despite it's small size we used it for mostly chuck work.

BTW the machine will go fast, but it really doesn't like it.

From my experience, I would rate the Matador right up there with the Monarch EE when doing small work in high alloy steel or stainless.

I am always fascinated and eager to work with any mew machine tool, however I find that the average American machinist takes some time getting used to the apron controls and tends to complain about them.

Our Weiler also had the DIN standard spindle nose and that was also complained about. I didn't mind at all beacuse we got all the goodies with the lathe.

The only thing I missed on the Wieler was the convienience features for screw threading that the Hardinge's and EE's had.

Giving credit where credit is due, my friend, Bobby cut some really whacked out 2 inch dia. coarse pitch buttress threads, internal as well as external, on that machine. The HLV-H's would never stand for that.

Nice lathe, Don.

Don, well you know I have a post '90 white Matador. I have manuals (or at least the operators manual) as far as I can remember.

Email me offlist if you think that would help you.

Sean

I called Weiler on Friday and he's faxing Germany for availability and cost, so I guess I'll wait and see what turns up in that regard.

While on the phone I asked if they had any machines there in Charlotte and he replies, no, their USA headquarters is just an office manned by one person (him). Apparently he is there to persue and set up distributors in the USA. He admitted the manual was "low priority" and to call him if I don't hear back.

In other words, I won't hear back. :rolleyes:

Don,
call Wolfram Milz at Hansco (201) 391-0700 .
Wolf has been looking after Weiler since when Hansco still was Cosa Corporation and they were the exclusive US dealers.
(Anyone, don't bother them about Deckel since no one there kept up on it after the 1980 Deckel US opening.)

If he cannot help you, eMail me, and I will look next weekend, as I should still have a copy somewhere, (although it might be a German / English mix) and I would have to take it to the printer.

If it's something specific you're after, tell me and I will scan and eMail that page(s).

I know you are not happy about it but I only look in once in a while.
Arno

Oops, just looking at their phone list, it appears that Wolf is not there any longer (I have not dealt with them for the last two years).

Try asking for Weiler anyway, they may still have the line for their area or may be happy to sell you an "obsolete" manual.
Arno

Hi Don ... and all. I've been talking to Weiler only this week about manuals in English and they have just about all going back a good number of years.

I was quoted around Euro €30-45 (US$36-54) depending on the machine. If you wish to deal directly then I'll e-mail names and contact numbers privately.

John

Hi, I'm New to this forum. Just found you today ..Don I have all three Weiler Matador Manuals printing circa 1967 for my Matador, Operating Instructions are in english, spanish & german, I also have the "Extra Equipment" manual and the "Sales Brochure" I can scan and send them to you if you would like... but I have some questions. After operating my Weiler for the better part of ten years last week I was using it and went to reverse the machine and it quit... I have rebuilt the swtches for the main power and master start switch to no avail Next on my list is the reversing switch (hard to get to) and then on to the motor..if I have to replace/rebuild the motor I dont know what size it is hp or speed. this is the single speed version model "VS".I'd also like to know where to get a threading dial for this machine...thanks

Hi Rich ... Welcome to the Forum, from the spec sheets sent to me last month from Weiler [Germany] the lathe was shown to be offered with either a 2.2Kw (3HP) or 3Kw (4HP) motor ... and the standard size was the 2.2Kw.

Hope this helps a little ;)

John

Hi Rich,
Have you checked the overload switch? I have had problems with similar items in the past.
You should be able to check the motor windings with an ohm meter. each phase should measure about the same. also you can check if you are getting power to the motor with a voltmeter.

Regarding manuals, I only have the operating instructions in German, so would appreciate an english translation.I can manage with the parts manual in German. Maybe you can post your manuals on this site in the appropriate section.
Regards Don

I have scanned in the manuals this week and am currently changing them to pdf format. I should have them ready sometime this afternoon or tomorrow. Just Emailme you requirements and I'll get them sent out as soon as possible. I'l be getting into the the back of the machine sometime latter today and will check the motor windings and see if I have continuity to the motor it'self. I do know the motor fan (phenolic)self destructed before I aquired the lathe (I have all the parts) although this has not really been a problem as I dont really do production work. My lathe seem to be really complete as I have A bucks true-adjust 3 jaw chuck, a bucks 4 jaw chuck, a face plate, collet closers (both manual and lever opperated)a full set of collets and the change gears for both metric and american. The only things I dont seem to have and have not got a source for are the threading dial an a steady rest. I supose I could make a threading dial but I'll need to know the pitch of the lead screw and a source for the gear Ill need (boston gear?)the rest of it is straight forward

Just Emailme you requirements and I'll get them sent out as soon as possible.
Not sure if you're addressing me or another member, but note the date of my original post was over 9 months ago....I got a manual from Early Pearl just a few weeks after that post and have since sold the whole shebang...long gone.

Still, others may have an interest...

There seemed to be a number of requests for that manual and this seemed to be the most likly thread to follow.... so I did and have already recieved numerous request for the manuals. I'l try to psot the PDF files here and under the literature section real soon.

Back