What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador: forward/neutral/reverse switch.

phm87

Aluminum
Hi All,
I am looking for the part number and photo if possible for the above switch which is located under the tail stock end connected to the hex rod by a lever, this was removed years ago by elf nd safety, I know the ins and outs regarding this. I would think the lathe is mid 60`s, I don`t have the serial number to hand at the moment, though I could get it if needed.
If you can help with this I would be most grateful.
Thank you.
Regards
Glen.

Hello Glen.

Enclosed is a photo of the reversing switch assembly.
Assuming you still have the connecting rod which activates the switch it should be a straight forward job replacing.

I have no idea what the Weiler part number is, however it's academic as they would have been discontinued many years ago.
This is a standard three phase motor reversing switch available from any switch gear supplier.
They come specifically configured to do that job, i.e. swapping phase 1 and 3 thus reversing the motor.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• Weiler Wiring Detail.JPG
    Weiler Wiring Detail.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 179
  • WP_20190818_003.jpg
    WP_20190818_003.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 184
Thanks Adrian,
That`s what I needed.
You can normally source a discontinued part if you hunt for one, no matter,an equivalent will be sourced and fitted, thanks for the help.
Regards
Glen.

Actually, that switch is NOT a standard reversing switch,

Due to the mechanics, linkage and configuration, that particular switch requires a limited travel than most switches to perform the switching function.

One could make due with something else, but then the detents in the apron control would be out of sync.

Sorry, I could not find the electrical switch in the Condor parts list I have. It does show the the bracket the switch is fixed to. ;-)

My LZ330 is set up to control a vfd by way of that original switch.

reference post
Weiler Matador lathe feed rod shift problems, Help!

Hi CalG,
I also have a LZ330 which has had the same switch removed, I do have a ref NNW 15, could this be a switch reference number?
Any further advice would be most welcome.
Regards
Glen.

Hi CalG,
I also have a LZ330 which has had the same switch removed, I do have a ref NNW 15, could this be a switch reference number?
Any further advice would be most welcome.
Regards
Glen.

Glen

From my CONDOR literature, there is a hand written entry.related to the tail end switch.

"Switch, 30deg, ASN W3/16/F312" I do not know of the significance of that note. Edit Post

The switch it's self is not listed in the parts list. All the levers. links and brackets etc are listed.

The entire affair appears "fabricated", and you might consider producing something based on a pair of micro switches controlling remote contactors..

eta

A quick search returned the following informative thread
Owning A Weiler

My machine has the original switch which is a 45 degree index.
45 degree switches are available but more common are the 60 degree type.
This is not a problem as changing the length of the small pivot arm will correct the throw.

The chances of getting a new switch with the correct mounting are very slim,
you will have to make a new mounting bracket anyway.

Another thing to consider, are you intending to run the machine as original or via an inverter.
If it's the later you can fit a single pole heavy duty rotary switch.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• WP_20190818_003-1.jpg
    WP_20190818_003-1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I would just like to thank all who have contributed to this thread, when the electrics are fixed this 1960`s one user lathe will be for sale in the U.K. A shame really, though not really what I want in my workshop. I know a lot of people will think this strange, and I probably I am! Ha Ho
Glen.

I recently went through the process of replacing the switch on my Condor.
After getting several different switches I settled on a rotery switch advertised for a tire changing machine. Reason being the shaft for it was steel instead of plastic. I had read the previous posts on this lathe and switch issues.

I had to make a mounting bracket and lengthen the linkage while putting a notch in it also. Unfortunately I didn’t take a lot of photos of the process but will post what I have.

5914F81F-7A69-4EB5-8F0F-148C4CC98440.jpg
This was the switch that came with it

CF209913-601B-4954-B09A-12787EEA3429.jpg
This one I didn’t use due to the plastic shaft
F028F0A6-BEA6-485F-AE7C-2D4DEC707D98.jpg75D3E38E-5F92-4CA6-B5F8-F8D1EC6AE4D5.jpg
This is it finished
Hope this helps Z

Can you take a close up picture of the first switch please Z showing all the writing?
i have tried coping and enlarging the image, but it is too blurred.
Ta very much
Glen.

That is the only photo I have. It is very clear on my phone, I’ll try to send it to you direct. When I tried to find it myself I didn’t have much luck.
Z

Umm, I ha to work on the switch in my Condor, and I can't now recall what exactly i did. I believed I made a new link for a new switch, I am not certain, though.

I also worked on the switch for the 280. And I don't recall where I got with that.

Back