What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador lathe feed rod shift problems, Help!

tjs42

Hot Rolled
The forward -reverse feed rod shift lever will not engage(either forward of reverse) so there is no power to the carriage. anyone ever have this problem? It looks like there is plate on the face of the gear box through which the feed screw, feed rod and on-off lever control goes that can be taken off and you can then get to the shift lever mechanism. anyone ever have this problem, if so how did you fix it? any help/suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks!! tom

Is the electrical switch contained in the bed cavity at the tailstock end as it is for the Condor models?

On my LZ330, the lever hex hole at the apron was so worn as to fail to move the switch gear mechanism sufficiently in order to operate the snap switch.
Once the worn elements were renewed, the FWD/REV OFF function works perfectly

I recently had a switch problem on my Condor. One of the Bakelite cams in the center section of the switch split in half. It had been giving me some trouble coming out of reverse for a while (I guess it was only cracked) then one day it completely failed.

I was able to reverse engineer the cams and machined a new set from linen phenolic; also made a new set of rollers from Torlon. There are two different cams, 2ea 3 lobe cams and one 6 lobe cam. The switch was reassembled (which was a bit of a challenge) and now it is working great.
I was wondering if these switches are still available and from where and what the cost might be?

Thanks
Dave

Tom,

I see this is an old thread. Did you find a solution to your trouble, this is a mechanical problem if I understand. The problem being the feed rod and treading acme screw not driving in forward or reverse to move the saddle toward or away from the headstock. My matador has a similar problem. It will rotate the feed rod and screwing thread but only to cut left threads.

Thanks

Andy

Tom,

I see this is an old thread. Did you find a solution to your trouble, this is a mechanical problem if I understand. The problem being the feed rod and treading acme screw not driving in forward or reverse to move the saddle toward or away from the headstock. My matador has a similar problem. It will rotate the feed rod and screwing thread but only to cut left threads.

Thanks

Andy

Completly different problem
This tread is about the forward reverse rod for spindle on/off
To solve that There are 2 setscrews in the handle that trap the hex rod If you set those tighter problem is solved mostly
Also the lever to the switch can be sloppy
One remark The switsch is from a rare design as it has a 15Dgr angle to switch Normaly that angle is bigger like 30dgr
I have found a proper switch for it

Your problem is that you cannot engage the forward/reverse lever at the gearbox below the headstock
No solution for that with so little information

Peter

I misunderstood as I look back and read this again.

Thanks to all,I m very new to this and have learned a lot already reading other posts here.

The trouble with my Matador is that lever you mentioned under the headstock. The feed rod and screw will turn reverse of the main spindle, (carriage away from spindle, left hand threading) but when switched to send carriage toward spindle,feed rod or screw do not turn,unless manually pressing against the lever. Then the rod and screw turn slowly. Likely related issue is the thread count does not match the settings of the gears.

This lathe is new to me and has not made many chips yet. This is how I received it.

I am a total newbie hoping for an idea what to look for, fearing that the gearbox will need work.

Thanks

Andy

I misunderstood as I look back and read this again.

Thanks to all,I m very new to this and have learned a lot already reading other posts here.

The trouble with my Matador is that lever you mentioned under the headstock. The feed rod and screw will turn reverse of the main spindle, (carriage away from spindle, left hand threading) but when switched to send carriage toward spindle,feed rod or screw do not turn,unless manually pressing against the lever. Then the rod and screw turn slowly. Likely related issue is the thread count does not match the settings of the gears.

This lathe is new to me and has not made many chips yet. This is how I received it.

I am a total newbie hoping for an idea what to look for, fearing that the gearbox will need work.

Thanks

Andy

Sounds like something might be sheared in the drive through the Norton box.\
Check by pulling all the drive gears on the left side of the head stock and then the feed shaft drive.

The motion you do have may be associated with friction rather than positive drive.

Back