What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador lever action collet closer, HELP please

darthmuller

Plastic
Need someone that help me with dimensions of missing drawer bar for lever action collet closer.

I am not sure if there is only one component missing or more, but I do know that the drawer bar is missing. If someone out there could please take some accurate and detailed dimensions of their collet draw tube, I would greatly appreciated.

I would like to make one for my machine, but have no information. I would also like a picture of the collet holder if possible. I would like to make one for my set of 5C collets.

Thank you

Hi there

Please find link to a previous forum item regarding the collet closer.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...matador-s-inexplicable-collet-drawbar-263252/

I sold the unit some time ago because I found it ineffective and restricted the lathe in normal use so unfortunately I can’t give you the dimensions.

I found two issues with this unit.

The heavy activating assembly and draw tube rattle on the spindle when they are not loaded and restrict the spindle bore.

The rear spindle coolant deflector has to be removed to fit the closer unit so when in chuck mode, which is most of the time, coolant goes down the inside of the spindle and gets into the gear train area covering the gear wheels, the closer assembly and the space between the spindle and draw bar where is stays, not Weiler’s finest hour.

Enclosed is a picture of my lathe when it arrived showing the rust caused by collet closer assembly and after refurbishment with a new coolant deflector fitted.

Unless you want to run the lathe like a capstan the best option is a 5C chuck which are widely available.

All the best Adrian.

Attachments

• DSC01266.jpg
    DSC01266.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC00964.jpg
    DSC00964.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 726
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,063
Adrian

I do agree that the closer can be problematic. I also have a Schaublin 120TR which I absolutely love, I use the Schaublin almost exclusively with collets.

I like using collets as there is no substitute for its precision. I have looked at 5c collet chucks, but I do not like the fact that the collet is now much further from the spindle.

Yes a collet chuck is not as good as putting collets in the spindle directly, if you want really high precision.

A compromise I did was to remove the closer assembly completely. I then removed the draw bar tube from the assembly and fitted a hand wheel on it, I then used the draw bar directly to tighten the collets. If you are missing the draw bar you could make a similar arrangement.

This proved ok for a while but is a bit awkward, added to the fact I only had a 1mm set of 5C collets and you really need a 0.5mm set which is some 60 collets. In the end I sold the lot and brought a Pratt Burnerd multisize chuck and collet set for a fraction of the cost of a good quality full 5C collet set.

This setup has a 0.003mm run-out measured with a test bar, which is a lot more than my 0.001mm spindle run-out, but less than a high precision chuck which is around the 0.005mm. Which on a 40+ year old lathe is all a bit academic.

All the best Adrian.

Attachments

• DSC00004-001.jpg
    DSC00004-001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,112
Last edited:
Hi,

Do you still need the dimensions of the collet closer assembly?
You can check out the attached partslist to see what is missing and let me know, I'll make some measurements.
(If you need a high res PDF of the partslist I can send it by mail)

Ersatzteilliste_1.jpgWeiler_Matador_VS1.jpg

Kind regards,

Raphaël

Raphael

I only noticed your reply today! I am currently busy with fabricating new parts for collet drawer bar. I have seen the pictures in the parts list, but very difficult to work out how it is made exactly. I would greatly appreciate some close up pictures and measurements. Thank you very much for offering assistance.

weiler turret lathe lever opareted collet closer

hi we have weiler turret lathe lever opareted collet closer.but where these iron balls are located,I am confused,sorry for bad english.Thank you60556230_421067248734409_2758468296616443904_n.jpg

Hi Adrian,

I'm very curious as to where you found this collet chuck? Is the spindle DIN 55022?

Best regards from Sweden

Back