What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador oli leak :(

Trollerudjan

Aluminum
Hey guys and gals,

I have been a proud and happy owner of a Weiler Matador from the 60's.
What a great machine! I am quite busy with a homeshop project and have been running it quite a bit lately.
Just a few hours of a job left I walk into the shop and see a puddle of oil under the left "leg".
The project has stopped obviously and I need this fixed asap. I have only cleaned up the oil from the floor so far.
I have not localized the leak yet. I am thinking the spindel speed gear box.... maybe a seal. I saw some oil on the El-motor so this is why I am guessing this.
I placed some paper whips on the el motor to see any new drips but none to see this morning. I think it is strange to have a seal give out totally all at once.
So I am sat here at work wondering why i didn't check the slight glass of spindel oil.... I'm leaving work early today, this is killing me.

any tips consering the above dilema is more than welcomed!

Cheers
jan

There is a transparent plastic hose on the ortlinghaus gearbox Hung up high It functions as a sight glass
You can see the oil level But if its not hung up anymore it may leak
The oil level in that gearbox is not high enough to reach the seals So its only to keep the splashing oil in

Peter

Hello Peter

Great tip.... I saw the hose yesterday but it had been oversprayed with paint tat some point so I didn't think much of it. Some acetone took care of the overspray and there is oil in the gear box.
The sight glass at the end of the lathe head.... behind the gears is also showing oil.
the very small sight glass on the feed box however looks to be empty.
I am trying to trouble shoot the leak area... not easy. Also... where to fill.
If I disengauge the feed box I should be able to run the spindel without any harm right?
I need to bore a 26mm hole before I remove my work peice.

I have also been tampering with the gear engage or Vee belt engauge lever..... I am not getting the function???
Anybody have a quick explanation.... mine may not be working as it should.

Jan

Ok so the las mentioned lever disengauges the back gears for threading threading and inturn the Vee belt is engauges for saddle feed. Mine was stuck in back gear engauged position (now working again.... the indication symbols are worn on the lever... got it now.
Again if I remove a back gear disengauge the vee belt the feed bos should be out of harms way if I run the lathe... Agree??

Jan

I have also been tampering with the gear engage or Vee belt engauge lever..... I am not getting the function???
Anybody have a quick explanation.... mine may not be working as it should.

The clutch can engage only in 3 positions into the clockwise position So keep pressure on the clutchlever with low RPM and it pops in place It is only a very short stroke
In the clockwise position the Vbelt is driving the feeds so you can disengage the changegears (lever in middle position)
Sometimes the clutch mecanisme gets filled with chips debry so it cannot engage any more

The whole idea is to get a more silent machine I think

Peter

The clutch can engage only in 3 positions into the clockwise position So keep pressure on the clutchlever with low RPM and it pops in place It is only a very short stroke
In the clockwise position the Vbelt is driving the feeds so you can disengage the changegears (lever in middle position)
Sometimes the clutch mecanisme gets filled with chips debry so it cannot engage any more

The whole idea is to get a more silent machine I think

Peter

Peter,
I have control of this matter now. All dismanteled cleaned lubed and reassembled and working as it should... and yes surprizingly short stroke of the lever. Thanks for the info.

I am still puzzled about my leak, I need to get a hold of the schematics of feed gear assembly.
Anybody know where to fill? and what modern oil to use??

Jan

The manual calls for "Gear Oil" and uses Shell Voltol II as example. Myself, I use "Universal Tractor Transmission Oil", UTTO, for just about every machine tool gear box and lubrication need. Good stuff, and easy to find.

There should be a plug in the feed gear box case somewhere near the feed rod/lead screw outputs. Perhaps combined with a carriage stop bolt. There should also be a drain plug lower down the case. The level sight glass is on the the front of the gear case , yes?

The manual calls for "Gear Oil" and uses Shell Voltol II as example. Myself, I use "Universal Tractor Transmission Oil", UTTO, for just about every machine tool gear box and lubrication need. Good stuff, and easy to find.

There should be a plug in the feed gear box case somewhere near the feed rod/lead screw outputs. Perhaps combined with a carriage stop bolt. There should also be a drain plug lower down the case. The level sight glass is on the the front of the gear case , yes?

CalG,

Thanks for the tip... yes the sight glass is quite small and up front.... showing NO OIL... from puddle size on my floor yesterday there isn't much in it either.... I need to fill it so I can catch that leak. I went back in the shop and found the drain plug and five inches or so above it the filler plug... so you have to squirt the oil in there.... I was looking for a more conventional filler hole I guess.
I'll check if I can get my hands on the Shell Voltol II tomorrow.

Anybody wanna have a crack at guessing where the leak is.
As mentioned all the oil driped on the floor under the left "leg".

Jan

Did it leak inside the leg or outside
Probably inside
If you overfill the gearbox it leaks out
On the carriage the oilsight is situated too low even
If you fill it to the middle the oil leaks out through the feedrod

So did you fill it up with oil recently?
Peter

Did it leak inside the leg or outside
Probably inside
If you overfill the gearbox it leaks out
On the carriage the oilsight is situated too low even
If you fill it to the middle the oil leaks out through the feedrod

So did you fill it up with oil recently?
Peter

LEAK FOUND ! ! !

Well I clean all signs of onand the floor El.motor ect in hopes that I would see where it was comming from.
I disengauged the feed box just to be safe since I didnt have any oil on hand to refill it. I finished my part. At the end of the session I had a look and guess what... the nipple to the "sight glass" tube on the speed box had come loose. Much easier to locate when every thing is clean. Its now tightened. I also refilled the feed box and speed box.... I'm still looking for the filler plug for the apron... any hints???

Thanks for your help Peter.
Where are all the othere Weiler boys on here???? Did they all convert to Schaublinism??

Cheers
Jan

The apron refills from the cover plate that is exposed when the cross slide is advanced fully to the back side of the lathe.

The cover may even have the words "Unscrew Cover, Oil Here" stamped on.

The apron refills from the cover plate that is exposed when the cross slide is advanced fully to the back side of the lathe.

The cover may even have the words "Unscrew Cover, Oil Here" stamped on.

Thanks CalG it crossed my mind yesterday when I was looking but desided to get cracking on my project again. No words stamped on cover plate for sure, it my be a homemade... I'll check and refil later today.

By the way about the feed gear box.... I read in the Weiler manual while looking for info on my leak that the Gear/Vee belt function is to have a smoother running lathe at high speeds... without the the gears running. Also it it will "save" the threading gears from unnesesary wear.

Cheers
Jan

Back