What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador tailstock spindle nut needs re-newing.

Peter F

Aluminum
My Weiler Matador being now well over 40 years old could do with a new nut for the tailstock spindle. Before going to the trouble of making a new one with the attending trouble of acquiring suitable bronze material, grinding up a suitable tool, getting hold of a finishing tap etc etc, I am wondering if anyone can point me to a source of a new one for purchase. My lathe is Imperial so the screw is 10 tpi Left hand 5/8" Acme as far as I can make out. The screw is still in good condition but the nut is worn.
There may be some new/old stock somewhere on the planet.
I am assuming that Weiler used the Acme 29 degree form and not the 30 degree Trapezezoidal form for the feed screws on their Imperial lathes.

My Weiler Matador being now well over 40 years old could do with a new nut for the tailstock spindle. Before going to the trouble of making a new one with the attending trouble of acquiring suitable bronze material, grinding up a suitable tool, getting hold of a finishing tap etc etc, I am wondering if anyone can point me to a source of a new one for purchase. My lathe is Imperial so the screw is 10 tpi Left hand 5/8" Acme as far as I can make out. The screw is still in good condition but the nut is worn.
There may be some new/old stock somewhere on the planet.
I am assuming that Weiler used the Acme 29 degree form and not the 30 degree Trapezezoidal form for the feed screws on their Imperial lathes.

Weiler will sell you a replacement.

But be sitting when you read the price.

Im pretty sure you can buy taps in 5/8x10LH for lathe repair from suppliers in England.....You can also buy blank threaded bronze in common tailstock and crossfeed threads ....try Tracey Tools for a start......and join up to Model Engineer ......more relevant answers there.I do know where there is a Weiler in bits ,but the owner died ,and the widow hates my guts,and doesnt like the rest much either.

Don,
Thanks for the lead Don. The price at $33.41 is good but the Shipping & Handling charge quoted by Roton at $174 for a thing weighing 0.8 lb puts it way beyond reasonable. I have had a few things posted to me in Australia from the US in the past at much less cost but Roton uses Fed Express and other carriers. Back to the drawing board!
Cheers, Peter

Trouble is so many US suppliers claim theyve been burnt selling to Oz,so they want tracking and signature...........I regularly get stuff from England ,like for instance sets of big V belts,and the post is very cheap,belts cheaper than local.......so i suggest you look at UK suppliers.

Back