What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador Unknown Part

abross36

Plastic
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum as my friend and I just purchased an old Weiler Matador VS lathe. Everything seems to be in good working order but we found some broken metal bands that are concerning. They were located in the compartment with the belt and gears. I posted pictures below to see if anyone can recognize what they may be from.

I was thinking they were from the Feed Gear Train from the Clutch. The handle on the front of the lathe for doesn't feel like it wants to move and the clutch plate doesn't appear to be centered on the pulley. I tried removing the gear and clutch plate and noticed there's a single bolt on the outside perimeter of it so it doesn't feel like it was meant to fit into the pulley. I tried looking through the drawings and can't make any sense of it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180927_172633.jpg
    20180927_172633.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 20180927_172636.jpg
    20180927_172636.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20180927_173022.jpg
    20180927_173022.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 20180927_172628.jpg
    20180927_172628.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 142
I\ve got the factory manual open in front of me. At the moment I don't see anything of the nature in the illustrated parts. I look a bit more...

Perhaps the previous owner tried to shim a loose gear or the like.

ETA

There does appear to be some sort of reinforcement associated with the coolant shield that is fitted to the left hand drive case cover.

The assembly is pn 1136.22.04-052 schutzabdeckung.

There are no component parts depicted, only the unit assembly. Details are just a guess on my part. But check to see if those rings might just fit the big hole in the left end door.

Also , there may be "something" of a seal associated with the spindle belt pulley. No details shown in the IP, "Ringfeeder-Spannelement 48X55 RFN 8006" Sounds like a bearing part.

I've had my weiler matador mostly apart (including pulling the headstock apart) and I don't think I've seen anything like that. I agree with CalG on the shimming a loose gear. As long as the lathe runs fine I wouldn't worry too much.

They look a bit like the pieces you tear off a "speedi-sleeve" after you install it.

Fully agree. I suspect you just nailed this one. Would not HAVE to be SKF, but they've got good publications, so here's the sort of goods as may be "in there" arredy:

"http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals/industrial-seals/power-transmission-seals/wear-sleeves/skf-speedi-sleeve/index.html"

"http://www.industrialbearings.com.au/uploads/catalogs/skfspeedisleeve_1338271826.pdf"

Thanks everyone! I took apart the geed gear train and it looks like the bearing in the pulley simply came unseated. I forced it back into the pulley, but it didn't seem to fix my issue. I'm going to leave it for now since I can get it to work by smacking the gear into position. Once I have a chance, I may take it apart again and post some pictures to see if maybe there's a part missing.

Out of curiosity, was this the one sold by HGR recently? If so, it looked like a solid enough machine -- well worth sprucing up. Good luck!

TW

Nope. Bought it at an auction in PA. Got it for a steal. Waiting for a new VFD to arrive so I can get it up and running. Everything feels smooth and well loved, so I'm hopeful it won't have any major issues.

We got it up and running tonight and it sounds perfect.

I am struggling to figure out a toolpost to purchase. I'm not sure how to tell which ones will fit and I don't want to spend a ton on it either. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We got it up and running tonight and it sounds perfect.

I am struggling to figure out a toolpost to purchase. I'm not sure how to tell which ones will fit and I don't want to spend a ton on it either. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have a BXA on mine. Seems about right. I have a KDK 100 series that I use when the work is more "delicate" and a smaller work envelope is in order.

Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure about choosing the right base for it. I imagine I'll have to grind some material away from the base of the holder to slide it into the cross slide, right?

So I finally was able to figure out exactly what those metal shims were. There was a significant amount of play and wear between the hub and pulley and the previous owner must have tried using the shim to account for that. You can see in the cad drawing I attached there is a significant gap present. This drawing was done to match the measurements of the current parts I have. The hub should be a perfect fit with the pulley's inner wall. I'm planning on opening up the ID of the pulley to be perfectly smooth and machining a new hub to be press fit in. Luckily, I can still use the lathe due to the gears still working.

Capture.jpg

Back