Weiler variator belt

dango

Plastic
mabey someone know what is the size
of the variator belt in weiler matador
the size of the belt that came in my machine
is 900 X 28 X 8 but it look too big

Dango--

I have a Matador manual--originally for a lathe with serial number 2923 that states, for the variable drive belt

33x12x900 mm
or, 1 5/16x1/2x35 1/2 inches

This is further identified as 'Variflex' belting, wide section.

Pretty similar--and not the same--to the measurements of yours.

Northernsinger

On my LZ280 are belts with the the indications
- 32/ 10*1180 (32mm wide 10mm thick 1180mm long)
- continental
- nr 39329/2
- made in germany
They had a slight wobble wich showed itself most when changing the speed. I think its due to a long period of not using it, or some one has turned the speed changingwheel while not running the lathe.
I wanted to fill up the oil basin but when I removed the oilbath cover I tore up the seal which protects the belts from the oil. Because I had to remove the whole headstock spindle for this, I decided to replace the belts at the same time.

I can't find the size in the manual. But it runs at the top of the fixed pully on the headstockspindle so I think it's the right size.

The people at Continental said it was a special batch and they don't have them in stock. I ordered a few weeks ago new belts from Optibelt. When I've tested them I'll let you know.

Dango why do you think it's to big? the size indicated by Northernsinger is even bigger.

Alright, I've changed the belts and the oilseal and the rollerbearing of the backgearunit that revolves around the mainspindle. There was a problem with the reassembling. It has grown 0.3 mm and thats why the enclosing seegerring didn't fit any more. I tried three times and couldn't find any difference in each (replaced) part. So at last I decided to leave a aluminiumwasher out. I think it was there to keep the fat in the roller bearing. But the new rollerbearing was already sealed by incorporated plastic caps.
The new belts don't wobble anymore, although there's a little crackling noise. I think it will diminish in time and eventually go away.
The top of the new belt is about 2 mm above the pully. I don't think it should be this way. I'll post a pic one of these day's.
Arjan

In this pic can be seen that the belt is above the pully. The complete white line is above the pully rim.
drijfriem2.jpg

It makes some squeeking noises but I don't think that's due to the beltlocation. The motorstud adjustment bolt is past it's limit because of the two belts not lying deep enough in their pully's.
I think I'll leave it this way in time it'll go down a little.
At least the wobbly feeling in the variatorhandle is gone now.
Arjan

Back