What's new
What's new

Whacheon HL-460 threading confusion

GregSY

Diamond
I'm wondering if anyone can decipher my lathe (Whacheon HL-460) with regards to cutting metric threads.

Sorry if these pics do not show up rotated the right way.

First, I do have the manual. But, I notice the manual identifies various levers in the wrong position. So that kinda adds to the confusion.

I want to cut 1.0 metric threads...1 thread per mm.

So....how do I read these charts? My lathe is presently set up with the 36/72 gear set.

whacheon thread plate mm.jpgwhacheon thread plate in.jpgwhacheon manual threading.jpg

You should also include pictures of the lever choices. From what you show us, it believe I would know how to cut 1mm pitch thread. But I don't know your lathe. I don't know what A or B means.

You need to provide enough information for us to be able to help.

Good luck.

Jacques

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Just to clarify. I believe the information you need is the middle line here.

Then you need to translate this into meaningful settings for your lathe.
b628d3afeb209aa34ea3920cf50f413b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Here is a photo of the levers. When I look in my manual, they are labeled differently.

In any case, I think my real question is....how would I thread metric threads if I didn't have the chart in the manual? If I only look at the nameplates on the lathe....I don't see how I'd get there. Also, the chart in the manual is 'clear as mud' in some cases....for example What is L and D on the chart?

hl460 levers.jpg

Also, the chart in the manual is 'clear as mud' in some cases....for example What is L and D on the chart?
If you look carefully at your 3rd photo, L & D appear in the "Change Gear" box toward the lower left. I am not sure what "L" and "D" stand for, but I'm pretty sure they are talking about which gear is used to drive the feed. I also notice that there's an L and a D sub-row for each_x_x_x_x_most pitch row in the chart. So I am going to take a guess that L is for "levo" and D is for "dextro" and they refer to left-hand and right-hand threads, which you would get by interposing or removing an idler in the change gear train.

Unless that's all spelled out on some other page, I agree that it's clear as mud.

Mine is a Cadillac by Yam, a Mori copy.

L & D are referenced at the bottom of your photo of the tables from the manual. They show the change gear configuration for the corresponding lever positions. You state your lathe is configured 36/72 so you would primarily only use the data in the lines labeled 36/72, however designated in each column.

On the tables I believe the left column is for 36/72 gearing and the right column is for 72/72 gearing only. I am GUESSING, with 36/72 gearing, the "L" in the left column shows an alternate lever configuration that would thread as if the gearing were 72/72 without requiring you to make an actual gear change.

Using 36/72 your lever settings for a 1.0mm thread would be A-D-F-G, knob position 1.

Maybe your thread plate is missing. Mine is located inside the change gear cover. Attached are photos of the plate and of the controls. I appreciate the photo of the page from your manual. I think it shows what settings I could use if I go to the 36/72 configuration. My plate didn't have this information.

Yes, mud.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

Thread table.jpgControls.jpg

Interesting. I'll go look inside the cover.

As for cutting left and right hand threads, the DC lever (lower left) reverses rotation of the main screw but the lever that is above it by the spindle speed levers changes the rotation of the threading screw. So it would seem you'd use that screw and not the bottom screw.

Well....at least I am feeling not completely dumb in my confusion. There are other references in this manual - like the one that calls for Fig 5 No. 2 - that refer to nothing of use. When you look up Fig 5, it has nothing to do with threading.

Good evening, all,

I am reviving this old thread because after doing quite a bit of searching, this thread is specifically what I am asking help with. I have read and reread, and I guess I'm just dense as I still don't understand how to set my Whacheon/Webb WL-435 lathe to cut metric threads.

I have read the operating manual and it specifically states that I need to use the 72/72 change gears combo instead of the 36/72 combo used for imperial threads. However, if you look at the lower left hand corner of the chart it has 36/72 and the lower right has 72/72. Both diagrams have both 72 tooth gears in the drivetrain.

So, can I cut metric threads with the 36/72 tooth combo based on what you see on the chart? Also, when looking at the chart is it possible to cut the same threads using either combo of gears but different settings on the handles?

I am doing a piss poor job of phrasing my question and I apologize but it underscores how confused I am.

I'm sure the answer is obvious but I'm not seeing it and I come with hat in hand seeking guidance.

Thanks much.

Joe
Whacheon Lathe Metic Theading Chart.JPG

when looking at the chart is it possible to cut the same threads using either combo of gears but different settings on the handles?
Yes, exactly. The 36:72 or 72:72 just gives a factor of two on the gear ratio. The metric conversion is not really affected by that. Notice there are four handle arrangements, in the same order on the left side and the right side. Using the 72:72 combo just moves a handle arrangement up one row on the chart, and the thread pitches in a row are exactly twice the pitches in the row below.
Because you can only reach the top row with the 72:72 combo, you must use that combo to cut pitches 4mm and larger. Similarly, because you can only reach the bottom row with the 36:72 combo, you must use that combo to cut 0.25mm pitch. You can reach all the other rows with either combo.

To cut metric threads, you also need to use the 127 to 120 tooth change gears as shown in the chart. Inch threads do not use the 127 tooth gear.

Yes, exactly. The 36:72 or 72:72 just gives a factor of two on the gear ratio. The metric conversion is not really affected by that. Notice there are four handle arrangements, in the same order on the left side and the right side. Using the 72:72 combo just moves a handle arrangement up one row on the chart, and the thread pitches in a row are exactly twice the pitches in the row below.
Because you can only reach the top row with the 72:72 combo, you must use that combo to cut pitches 4mm and larger. Similarly, because you can only reach the bottom row with the 36:72 combo, you must use that combo to cut 0.25mm pitch. You can reach all the other rows with either combo.
Thanks so much this is very helpful and I appreciate your assistance, truly.

Joe

Back