What's new
What's new

What did I buy? (nothing is garbage if its new to you)

Martin P

Titanium
OK, I am an idiot with a twitchy bidding finger, no time, no more space, and having watched too many glorious "project" videos on the youtube.:rolleyes5:
So I twitched here:

Prazisionsdrehmaschine Schaublin Typ 16 | eBay

I figure I could at least break even on parts and it is located literally a mile from my way to work.
So after the buy, what did I get?
Apparently the drive is missing I guess. Seems rather old too.
What does that thing weigh? I was planning to pick it up with a trailer, so weight is important.
First the buy, then the research. Buy high, sell low.:hitsthefan:
BUT I am a member of a sick club now. :cool:
Guess I have to start looking for a star-wheel tailstock now, I think that is a requirement.:hole:

Kees also has a "parts" 160, or is that this one? Seems unlikely .....

Be gentle .....

Browsing the interwebs, it seems to be the oldest 160 in the world.
Seller can even deliver as it turns out to be 2 tons, which is beyond my trailer.
On Thurday afternoon I will find out if I bought parts, a reasonable project, or an in-between twilight zone forever-in-my-shop conversation piece (mantlepiece type).
I still have 10 years before retirement to look for the drive parts.

Do you go "help" load it on sellers truck, that way you can see if there are any other forgotten goodies laying around that may belong with lathe, (or other useful things you can not live without)

Kees also has a "parts" 160, or is that this one? Seems unlikely .....

No, I still got mine, in the same condition as you saw it.... Could have sold it but I'll keep it and hopefully one day I start working on it.

And this 160 is indeed very old , early 60's i think. There is another one like this in the US.

Just pick it up , found out what you have, make photos and please post it here . Interesting!

First thoughts: With a bit of luck only the motor is missing. Rusty but I think it is not a bad machine, tags looks clean.Very different design, look at the position of the cross-slide handwheel.

I wouldn't have thought it would be two tons. One maybe.

Unless lead-ballasted, one, barely, if even that close.

A Nebel Microturn might top two, Rivett 1030 not quite.

10EE, Hendey T&G, Cazeneuve HBX-360 are all around 2800-3400 Avoir or ton and a HALF. Hardinge a tad less, yet, and it is the Hardinge line whose structure and base are far the closer counterparts to that of this Schaublin.

Misisng drive is the least of all worries. PLENTY of VFD or DC drive - even servos - out there that can easliy match or even beat the OEM drive.

I'd class spindle bearings the greatest and most needful of areas for concern. Can't easily DIY-fab those out of no steenkin' Durabar, nor stock precision-ground feedscrew goods.

Need of bed regrind + build-up, + scraping-in pretty much a "given" on ANY lathe past a certain age. Good ones are worth that. Most especially when bought cheaply.

I go through the same thing and occasionally buy a project except the lathes I have available are relatively simple affairs compared to what the 160 looks to be. I find whenever I buy a machine by pictures on the web it's a crap shoot at best, once done it's up to me to turn it into something positive.
Of coarse I'll probably never have the opportunity to have to make the decision on buying a lathe of that caliber, project or not.
Dan

No really, 1950kg naked and 2200kg with standard assessories as per sales brochure.

Shocked. "160" is about a 12.5" swing, no?

More Iron than good sense as to where best to deploy it? Swiss were ordinarily more frugal of scarce imported resources than that.

That's nearly 1,000 lbs Avoir over an already notoriously lard-arsed 10EE, (roughly 3250) more-yet above even the cast-iron-not-sheet-steel bottomed first-generation 360-HBX of 14" swing and 30" c-to-c (roughly 2700 Avoir).

Did Messrs Hendey and Herbert retire to Schwiez? Or what?

:)

In any case.. going just by a coupla pampered Schaublin's our own Milacron was harbouring when I picked up the "French Gal", Schaublin never did build nuthin' one could class as "garbage".

Last edited:
Shocked. "160" is about a 12.5" swing, no?

More Iron than good sense as to where best to deploy it? Swiss were ordinarily more frugal of scarce imported resources than that.

That's nearly 1,000 lbs Avoir over an already notoriously lard-arsed 10EE, (roughly 3250) more-yet above even the cast-iron-not-sheet-steel bottomed first-generation 360-HBX of 14" swing and 30" c-to-c (roughly 2700 Avoir).

Did Messrs Hendey and Herbert retire to Schwiez? Or what?

In any case.. going just by a coupla pampered Schaublin's our own Milacron was harbouring when I picked up the "French Gal", Schaublin never did build nuthin' one could class as "garbage".
My pristine 160 was sitting directly behind a Monarch 10ee when I bought it, and the ways are huge compared to a 10ee....so yeah, it is that heavy.

Martin, does it have a separate electrical cabinet like the newer 160's (connected by flex conduit, similar to Deckel mills) , and if so, does half the same cabinet have swing out drawers for tooling storage like the newer ones ?

160s2.jpg

I just talked to the seller concerning my looking at the machine tomorrow.
Seems the machine was bought a long time ago (at least 6 years) and had been bought by the boss in a fit of enthusiasm "oh, a Schaublin 160" ,but already missing parts. Then through the years different people messed with it and now no-one knows anything any more. Really a worst case scenario.
He confirms there is a separate electrical cabinet and it is still hooked up (?!) and it will be some work to separate.
I do not know yet about if there are drawers.
Indeed this purchase has the markings of a disaster written all over it.
Of course I could reject taking it if not as described. It says "some drive parts missing", which may easily be an inadequate description. He is also selling an Elb grinder.
The seller delivering the thing cheapl is a huge plus.

Looking at the 160 pics I could find, it is interesting to see how different this early model is. Very different indeed. If they made 200, this one must be in the first 10 or 20 at the most.

I just talked to the seller concerning my looking at the machine tomorrow.
Seems the machine was bought a long time ago (at least 6 years) and had been bought by the boss in a fit of enthusiasm "oh, a Schaublin 160" ,but already missing parts. Then through the years different people messed with it and now no-one knows anything any more. Really a worst case scenario.
Not exactly a Schaublin "groupie" meself, but from hands-on with Don's they at least feel "normal-plus-plus", rather than Hardinge-feet-on-wrong-legs-odd, and are worthy of a great deal of respect.

I don't see a huge risk unless the spindle bearings are trashed. "We", as-of 2018, have lots more useful options as to drives and their electricals than Schaublin had "back in the day" from VFD to Dee Cee drive.

Add compact PolyVee/MicroVee belting for a mechanical Hi-Medium-Lo ratio enhancement, much as a comparably sized Large & Shapely AVS had with its three geared ratios as well as variable speed electric drive. NO NEED of rudely noisy Mssrs. Klopp, Reeves, or PIV Werner Reimers. PolyVee transmits a LOT of power in minimal space, uses easily DIY grooved sheaves, "the woods are full of" Auto/truck and other parts-bin/used ones and a plethora of idlers already, and the result works long, cheap.. and very quietly.

Indeed this purchase has the markings of a disaster written all over it.
Nothing of the sort, so long as the castings are not cracked and you have passable eyesight and the use of both hands! Bit of persistence, yes. Rocket-insemination NOT, nor even huge spends!

I'd rate it a seriously worthy project.

More especially as you are at least on the same continent as where the majority of Schaublins were born and lived productive lives to earn owner's their crust. That's the EU/CH advantage similar to the one we in the Northeastern USA have w/r Monarchs - Sidney or other "Old Iron" deposits actually further from me (Sterling/Dulles, VA) than Schaublin-Mothership and former machine-halls from you (~ 1,000 road-mile R/T).

Thermite,
thanks for your moral support!

More than just moral. I'd be happy to help you design a Dee Cee drive system, pole-vaulting off the back of extensive research already done, here, should such become yer need and won't.

Others on PM do Vee Effing Dee better than I care to bother with.

Threw two away arredy. One to go, and I'm clear of the ephemeral buggers and periodic need of new caps altogether.

I actually LIKE having a few mechanical ratios, continuously-variable or otherwise (have Reeves & kin, Klopp or clone, AND PIV Werner-Reimers all under-roof arredy..).

I'm even tempted to add such to the 10EE.

So all you have to do is push a Schaublin lathe down the street in a shopping cart with the tears running down your face and look how they all come running to help you feel better! You clever fella! ;)

So all you have to do is push a Schaublin lathe down the street in a shopping cart with the tears running down your face and look how they all come running to help you feel better! You clever fella! ;)

LOL!

To paraphrase the late Winston Churchill (the man, not the lathe..)..

"Some lathe. Some Shopping cart!"

Wait'll you see what we'd do if it were a Unicor.. 'er Nebel Microturn...

:D

Back