What's new
What's new

Wired up the VFD on the Weiler LZ330 today

CalG

Diamond
During the general clean up of this "new to me" machine, it was evident that the spindle drive belts required replacement. (one laying in halves in the base, the other an oil soaked thread of goo and rubber) The first "pair" of replacement belts couldn't have been a better Unmatched pair. Made in different location, with decidedly different "feel" and width. But MSC has great customer service, and the matched and "technical checked" pair of belts were here in record time. (MSC actually has this level of service description! I would not have thought...) Did you know that the major belt manufacturers say their product is so precisely made that "matched" belts are a thing of the past. I was happy to see that the second set of belts had I'D. numbers less than 5 apart!

Some may recall my posting about the 11mm hex sleeve for the apron lever stop/start/reverse. That works perfectly now with the deep socket obtained though my local "Parts Plus" auto supply. I can advise that there are many tool manufacturers who do not put deep hexs in deep sockets! Performance Tool (PROC) does, Price? $4.50. Way better than the $185, plus $160 shipping to get the Weiler replacement part. Alas, Originality has fallen by the wayside ;-)

With the spindle pressed out and back in again, the clean up continued. Mostly I wanted to get the VFD fitted for phase conversion and control.

I put the Siemens MicroMaster in the right hand pedestal. I can see that on models with coolant, this same location is used to house the pump and tank. This lathe has no suds pump, so the cabinet space seems a good place for the electrical, with good ventilation by way of louvers on the access panel at the rear.
I've put the vari speed potentiometer on the front panel of this same pedestal as well, right next to the mains on/off switch. I don't see needing to use the infinite speed control often, as the 9 speed preselect gearbox on these Weilers is quite nice. Fine tuning is always welcome however.

I did have a bit of bother getting the VFD to provide spindle braking for a while, I had set the DC injection amps way low, '25% of motor full load setting, and that was just about nothing. I had to step through the full array of programmable features before it struck me. Now that value is set at 125% FLA, and 1.1 seconds to come down from 75 Hz max to 0 Hz. Since most of operations will take place in the 50-60hz region, stopping looks very quick indeed.
This VFD (6SE6420) is a 26 amp device, and when driving the spindle and chuck at the high speed of over 2800 rpm, no over voltage trip is experienced. Most work at those kinds of speeds would be held in collets, so stopping should never become a concern.

As I am new to this LZ330 , I do have a question regarding the operation of the feed gear box forward/reverse gear set. During metric threading operations, can this be thrown one way, then the other while the spindle is under power? (Not the tool under load certainly) It "seems so" the action is quiet and positive. i.e. snitch/click and reverse. I can't tell if the gears are made for this service or not. Any comments?

Now this machine needs tooling up. With a good selection of Aloris BXA tool holders, that aspect is covered. But the MT3 tail stock spindle is a 'tween size for me. Live and dead centers , plus a JT33 arbor to fit one of the spare chucks I have.
A decision as to collets needs to be made, I have a 5c machine in the Wade 94, and a Jacobs rubberflex on the Mazak 16 inch. I'm thinking ER40, but I have so much 5C stuff, that might be foolishness....

Just need to get a closer and draw tube ;-)

the LZ330 is a very early tool (s/n195 circa 196x) and seems to be in fine shape still. Lot's of life still in it.
Ugly as sin regarding the paint, but that will need to wait for summer and fresh air. Actually, I enjoy the stripped castings. The P&W's I've been around have all be "war finish", and I've come to enjoy the look and feel of cold cast iron!

OK, OK,, too much talk.

But if you have a collet closer, 6inch four jaw flat back chuck (or DIN 800M 60X4:-) or know about that reverser gear, your comments are more than welcome!

Cheers

Cal

ps my appreciation to the many Weiler supporters who provided and offered information and assistance. You know....

Hi Cal

I have a Weiler LZ330 where i need to replace the Spindel drive belts on, but i can`t find some good info how to take the Headstock spindel appart without taking to much appart, can you help me with some info about where i can find info how to replace the spindel drive belts ?

Beat Regards

Michael

Hi Cal

I have a Weiler LZ330 where i need to replace the Spindel drive belts on, but i can`t find some good info how to take the Headstock spindel appart without taking to much appart, can you help me with some info about where i can find info how to replace the spindel drive belts ?

Beat Regards

Michael

Michael

I have not come across a written (or verbal) description of spindle removal from the head stock.
I did gain from a careful study of the spindle/headstock assembly illustrations that appear on Lathes.com

Weiler LZ330 Lathe

The bearings are a press fit to the spindle.

I produced a draw / puller from a length of 1 inch all threaded commercial stock, along with some bits and pieces from the junk bin.

I would suggest obtaining a copy of the workshop literature as well. Tony offers them.

Observe carefully, move methodically. Replacement parts are costly.

Back