Search Results - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Search:

Type: Posts; User: implmex

Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 0.03 seconds.

  1. Thread: Off by a Mile

    by implmex
    Replies
    49
    Views
    2,140

    Hi All: Yeah, I'm confused! Of course, that...

    Hi All:
    Yeah, I'm confused!

    Of course, that state comes easily to me now:codger:

    Cheers

    Marcus
    Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
    Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining
  2. Thread: Off by a Mile

    by implmex
    Replies
    49
    Views
    2,140

    Hi wdevine: Yep, on my machine (Chmer) which...

    Hi wdevine:
    Yep, on my machine (Chmer) which speaks Fanuc, it's G60.
    But the point I was making is that the OP was programming it "fourth axis" in Esprit, and that's what the code snippet I saw was...
  3. Thread: Off by a Mile

    by implmex
    Replies
    49
    Views
    2,140

    Hi AGMantz: I assume you are making rectangles...

    Hi AGMantz:
    I assume you are making rectangles with a constant radius on the corners...is that correct?
    Also, you are keeping the males and throwing away the frame with the female cutouts??

    If...
  4. Hi Bill: Try these:...

    Hi Bill:
    Try these:
    https://www.ukam.com/diamond_laps.htm

    Diamond Tooling Services | Diamond Productions - Diamond Productions

    Diamond Files & Foils - BORIDE Engineered Abrasives

    Cheers
  5. Hi again Bill: I'd resist the temptation to try...

    Hi again Bill:
    I'd resist the temptation to try to break up the cruciform profile into rectangular elements...ideally you want to preserve all the relationships and you'll mess them up if you try to...
  6. Hi Thunderjet: That's a great idea except for...

    Hi Thunderjet:
    That's a great idea except for the fact that neither of the bits to eliminate or displace is a thermoplastic, so they won't melt... they will burn.
    The OP can tell us if this will be...
  7. Good morning Bill in PA: That's a hefty...

    Good morning Bill in PA:
    That's a hefty challenge for sure.
    As you say, making the cross sectional profile is not too terribly bad, but getting teeth on it is a whole other problem.

    My first...
  8. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi Dennis: You wrote: " I recall reading that...

    Hi Dennis:
    You wrote: " I recall reading that injection molding requires between 2 and 7 tons of clamp force per each square inch of mold area projected to the parting line"

    That's an interesting...
  9. Hi EPAIII: Short form...I do it because I'm...

    Hi EPAIII:
    Short form...I do it because I'm lazy.
    Humping a bigger chuck off and on from a lathe spindle can be a bit of a challenge for an old fart like me, so I avoid it when I can.

    That's...
  10. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi reckless. This question for you is not...

    Hi reckless.
    This question for you is not temperature related but it stuck out to me from something in your last post.
    Here's the quote "My parts are 2x1" wide but only 0.3 oz."

    With such a...
  11. Replies
    8
    Views
    1,004

    Hi mhajicek: No argument unless you don't have...

    Hi mhajicek:
    No argument unless you don't have the means to cut it in the hard state.
    Sinkering works.
    Turning or milling with carbide sometimes works, depending on what kind of access you have...
  12. Replies
    20
    Views
    2,473

    Hi eKretz: You wrote: "There's no sense...

    Hi eKretz:
    You wrote:
    "There's no sense ordering an expensive cutter for one job "
    Yeah, I don't disagree at all if you're gonna spend a pile on a single use cutter.

    But I was thinking of a...
  13. Replies
    20
    Views
    2,473

    Hi Cannonmn: When a cutter like that starts to...

    Hi Cannonmn:
    When a cutter like that starts to scream and chatter, you want to turn the speed DOWN...not up.
    Also, you want the cutter hanging out as little as possible and the workpiece hanging...
  14. Replies
    8
    Views
    1,004

    Hi Lplates: Your problem is a bit like...

    Hi Lplates:
    Your problem is a bit like chambering a barrel...You have a similar requirement for a gouge-free surface and a similar requirement for geometric fidelity.
    You're also using a similar...
  15. Hi pcortes: I do this quite often, but I made a...

    Hi pcortes:
    I do this quite often, but I made a stub arbor to hold a Sherline 3 jaw or 4 jaw chuck in a bigger 3 or 4 jaw chuck on my Monarch 10EE.
    The stub arbor is easy to make, and as...
  16. Hi fancuku: You are correct, the Conquest is a...

    Hi fancuku:
    You are correct, the Conquest is a turret machine.
    So the point of my post was that his problem is going to be more complicated than mine was.
    But with some creativity he may well be...
  17. Hi Houndogforever: I run a Prodigy 5C gang...

    Hi Houndogforever:
    I run a Prodigy 5C gang chucker so I have all my tools mounted to a platen instead of a turret.
    That makes my life very simple...I can and do, just drop gauge the tool tip.
    In...
  18. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi Dennis: You wrote: "I take Marcus doesn't...

    Hi Dennis:
    You wrote: "I take Marcus doesn't like hot tips"


    It's not that I don't like hot tips...it's that the local molders (at least the cheapass ones) don't seem to be able to get the hang...
  19. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi again reckless: Is there a compelling reason...

    Hi again reckless:
    Is there a compelling reason why you want to run hot tips?
    Cold sprues will probably do you quite nicely...I've built hundreds of molds in my time and very few were built with...
  20. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi again reckless: Thank you for your kind words...

    Hi again reckless:
    Thank you for your kind words but please do remember, I'm not a molder; I was a moldmaker for many years.
    So my understanding of how molding works, such as it is, remains pretty...
  21. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi again reckless: Looks to me like what you've...

    Hi again reckless:
    Looks to me like what you've linked to is a temperature controller to heat hot tips or hot runners.
    Basically they control induction heaters, just like the ones you have around...
  22. Replies
    97
    Views
    29,301

    Hi reckless: So I Googled both terms...

    Hi reckless:
    So I Googled both terms ("Thermolator" and "Peltier Plate") and have the following observations.

    The Thermolator is nothing more than a chiller, and requires cooling lines in the...
  23. Replies
    15
    Views
    1,113

    Hi M.Roberts: Well if you can get it to cut on...

    Hi M.Roberts:
    Well if you can get it to cut on the wire, and it's a through hole, why not wire it?
    I can't think of a good reason to even have the debate if you've got the gear and the experience...
  24. OK, NOW I get it: I was stuck on the notion that...

    OK, NOW I get it:
    I was stuck on the notion that the OP wanted to slot something to make a pinch clamp or similar and wanted to do it on the manual mill with a little cutter.
    It never occurred to...
  25. Hi Thermite: You wrote "That doesn't make it a...

    Hi Thermite:
    You wrote "That doesn't make it a good idea, NOW."

    I'm having a hard time understanding the point you wish to make.
    Are you saying plunge roughing on a manual mill is an obsolete...
Results 1 to 25 of 1500
Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 4