1st Quarter Unemployment Tax Bill ---- YIKES!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2404
    Likes (Received)
    2452

    Default 1st Quarter Unemployment Tax Bill ---- YIKES!!

    So, just received in my the amounts due for my quarterly electronic tax payments due April 30th from my accountant.

    Fed Unemployment tax, $170.00 which is pretty much the same.
    Commonwealth of Mass. Paid Family Medical Leave Tax approx. $213.00 same as always.

    Mass Dept. of Unemployment quarterly tax........$2,134.00!!!!!!!!!!!

    The Mass Unemployment Tax is nearly triple what it normally is!

    For a shop with only 4 employees, OUCH!

    No wonder I can't hire anyone for nearly a month now........everyone is making too much money staying home!

    Ok, rant over..............carry on.

    Later,
    Russ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    21,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Doo you presently have people on layoff ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2404
    Likes (Received)
    2452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Doo you presently have people on layoff ?
    Not at all.

    The state made it quite clear they would be raising the rates due to the overwhelming need for assistance and the government shortfall to fund it since Covid hit, but damn.....that's a lot!!


    Having an employee on unemployment has a near negligible effect on your rate anyways. My accountant has explained this to us many years ago. If we had a revolving door of employees on and off, then it's a different game.


    Later,
    Russ

  4. Likes digger doug liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,771
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1169
    Likes (Received)
    1892

    Default

    It looks like in MA you pay on the first $15K of earnings. If you gave any pay raises or are working a lot of OT, you will pay on more of that $15K in earnings this qtr.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2404
    Likes (Received)
    2452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    It looks like in MA you pay on the first $15K of earnings. If you gave any pay raises or are working a lot of OT, you will pay on more of that $15K in earnings this qtr.
    The amount due does decline for each subsequent quarter in the year, but, I certainly wasn't expecting it to be so much this 1st quarter.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    6,049
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    720
    Likes (Received)
    3737

    Default

    I let the payroll company handle all that, I guess I better read some of it

  8. #7
    Guest Guest

    Default

    I thought all that extra money for not working was free, I can't believe someone has to pay for it.

  9. Likes digger doug, Oldwrench, Ox, wrustle, DrHook and 11 others liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    3,267
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2404
    Likes (Received)
    2452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I thought all that extra money for not working was free, I can't believe someone has to pay for it.

    Yeah, but why am I the one?????

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    412

    Default

    The overachievers have to pay for the flops, far from a new concept.

  12. #10
    Guest Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ H View Post
    The overachievers have to pay for the flops, far from a new concept.
    As much as I hate to say it the federal unemployment bonus, stimulus check program and extra child credit should have had way more oversight and went to people effected financially by Covid only. A lot of people got free money that were not affected by Covid in the least.

  13. Likes cmccull166, ronf, wheelieking71 liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Near Seattle
    Posts
    5,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3860
    Likes (Received)
    1596

    Default

    ANNNND - there maybe wasn't enough, or wasn't enough efficacy of delivery, of aid to the people who DID get trampled by covid and the reaction to it due to no fault of their own.

    For example in WA we had serious UI fraud ($100s of millions) while people with totally legit unemployment complaints were having great difficulty getting through to file a claim.

  15. Likes digger doug liked this post
  16. #12
    Guest Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    ANNNND - there maybe wasn't enough, or wasn't enough efficacy of delivery, of aid to the people who DID get trampled by covid and the reaction to it due to no fault of their own.

    For example in WA we had serious UI fraud ($100s of millions) while people with totally legit unemployment complaints were having great difficulty getting through to file a claim.
    I could not imagine anyone had it rougher than people in the restaurant business and their vendors.

  17. Likes jmp, gustafson liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pinckney Mi.
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7831
    Likes (Received)
    908

    Default

    I have gotten three diff. letters saying my un employment has been aproved, tried to contact them three times, no help,just recordings, I NEVER applied for it. seems someone is scamming with my name...?
    Gw

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Posts
    3,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1111
    Likes (Received)
    1477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg White View Post
    I have gotten three diff. letters saying my un employment has been aproved, tried to contact them three times, no help,just recordings, I NEVER applied for it. seems someone is scamming with my name...?
    Gw

    Seems to be happening more and more. Booze Daily posted about that happening to him recently in Ohio.

  20. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
  21. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Missoula Mt
    Posts
    1,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    635

    Default

    Well you have a reasion for no wage increases dont you???...Phil


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •