What's new
What's new

Wide format laser printer recomendations

Mcgyver

Diamond
We have this Canon OCE 36" laser printer, service tech just told us parts are no longer available. Grrrrr.

Given a premium brand is going to leave you high and dry, I'm more more inclined to look at low cost models/alibaba type stuff if there is any. I think its also important that it be a laser so you're not paying a fortune for ink cartridges. Also willing to come down to 24", will let us do D but not E (which we seldom do)

Any suggestions on printers to get?

thanks

4yCow5h.jpg

Biggest problem I have had is software not being compatible.
I have an ancient HP laser[letter size] that literally gets aluminum chips showered on it on occasion and it grumbles and grinds and prints packing slips every day
point being they do tend to last

I've been happy with Xerox ... at least they are so common that there's aftermarket spares. But whatever you get, insist that it does Postscript or possibly HPGL. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of whatever drivers the manufacturer/operating system decides to "support". There's nothing like upgrading the os or software, only to find your device has been deprecated. (That's a polite way of saying Fuck you, buddy !)

Postscript works everywhere. It frees you from printer bondage. HPGL to a lesser extent, for bigger stuff.

p.s. On big inkjet printers, they don't usually use cartridges. They have big bottles full of ink which you replenish. And if they don't, they can. There's kits. If you don't mind inkjet, that is.

p.p.s. Lots of times Canon and HP are the same. If you can cross-reference it, you may be able to find the part you need in a warehouse somewhere. HP is more common.

Looks like a nice printer, maybe worth the effort ?

Aren't parts available from other sources? Is the machine down now, or are you planning ahead?

I'd look at HP, but I've been out of the printer loop for quite a while.

machine is down, we were surprised at Canon's lack of support. I haven't tried other sources but would guess its a narrow enough niche you're only going to get parts from Canon. Service tech says they're not available

EDIT. just pulled a panel and spotted a cap on a board with a lead pulled out....will try replacing that. Smarts a bit as the service tech's bill just came in. Even if that's it, the quest for new one doesn't stop....I can't depend on Canon and having a working printer is kind of mission critical

HP sucks giant, hairy balls!! I'm pretty sure they install a built-in timer to self-destruct......:toetap:

We use Epson for wide format and Brother for standard size. No issues yet (cross fingers, hail Mary).

I searched for years for an "11 x 17" laser printer without any luck. A friend who used to be in computer sales business told me I was searching for the wrong thing; I should search for LASER COPIER instead. Dang ... immediate success. 'Copier' works just fine as a printer.

Back