What's new
What's new

3 phase in the UK.

capnahab

Aluminum
I am trying to get a quote from the power people (Npower in the UK) for 3 phase. Before I can get a quote I need an estimate (no site visit). I get my electricity overland on poles . The pole ends in my field (see attached ). Does anyone recognise what is going on with the supply here ?. Currently the power company is telling me I need to pay for a new transformer to get the minimum supply (60kW). The big grey cylinder on the side of the pole presumably is a transformer to supply 240 volts single phase (standard UK supply).
Sorry bout the image being on its side , I can't change it on the post despite it being upright on my computer.

pole.jpg

The overhead line is probably 11,000 volts.Apart from the transformer which I`m not sure is single or three phase there is also a cable coming down the pole which is continuing the HV line.
To give you a supply they need to put another transformer either on the pole or a ground sited one if the cable going into the ground comes near your property.
I have done this in the past for a 320 amp supply and it was free because of the power usage.Usually now it is between £5k and £10k depending upon the run and how big a supply you want.Unless the law has changed you can supply the cable and the transformer and they must fit it provided it meets the relevant standards.
You need to discuss your options with an engineer at your preferred supplier.

Thanks , I think you are right. The initial 'estimate' for the transformer and work is £11,200 +vat. It's a bit eye watering. I now need to apply for a quote. I need to read the website a bit more regarding contractors. Thanks Mark for pointing out the bit about supplying the hardware .

Back