What's new
What's new

Absolutely no motivation! How do you overcome this?

wgnrr1

Hot Rolled
For the past week, I have had no motivation, been depressed, not eating,and just tired. I have been trying to get over my GF leaving me for another guy, and my drinking problem. But, I have work coming out my ears, and am falling behind badly.

What do you guys recommend I do to get motivated?

I am thinking whore house, but it probably won't help.

Josh

BTW, Sober since 7/26/13, and don't even care if I have a drink!:D

A wise man once said, and not too long ago...If it has tits or wheels, you're gonna have problems...fk the girl, get a hold of yourself before you lose everything. Dont drink because your upset, i promise it'll make things worse. You cant run from your problems, you gotta turn face and fight.

Hookers?.ehhhh....probably not gonna help either. not aftr your 5 minutes are up, or down however you wanna look at it.

Turn the music up louder, and find something worth living for. Must be something you can figure out, that is worth achieving. If not, then maybe your better off buying a mtn of blow and saying goodbye to everything you love or ever did love. The hookers will flock to you like seagulls at a landfill...and they will probably smell like landfill too...esp in their pants. gross.

Quitting drinking is likely to leave you depressed/tired for a few weeks bare minimum. It's withdrawals. Even if you're not suffering the physical symptoms, there will almost certainly be emotional symptoms that last for awhile. Exercise works well and will help shorten the duration of symptoms. I find some of my best problem solving on design issues happens while jogging. Congratulations on quitting, btw!:cool:

You could try some Vitamin B.

You might pee in technicolor, but it won't hurt..

Also, more green veggies...

Sometimes a little chocolate, don't go muzzle loading it......

An Apple, and some peanut butter will wake you up. More than you suspect it will.

sleep. Seriously, I can run on a ridiculously little amount of sleep on a daily basis but after a week or so I start to get very moody, depressed and un-motivated. Make a conscious effort to get 7-8 hrs of sleep. An OTC sleep aid or even some melatonin will help. Usually I get sleep deprived, take a melatonin and sleep deeply, (albeit with some funky dreams) after a couple days of that I am a new man.

Get up an hour earlier and take a very fast 2-3 mile walk before breakfast. Fast enough to sweat and get your heart pumping. Get home and SSS and have breakfast. Go to work and sweep the floor, take out the trash. Do something simple, but DO something!

Quitting drinking is likely to leave you depressed/tired for a few weeks bare minimum. It's withdrawals. Even if you're not suffering the physical symptoms, there will almost certainly be emotional symptoms that last for awhile. Exercise works well and will help shorten the duration of symptoms. I find some of my best problem solving on design issues happens while jogging. Congratulations on quitting, btw!:cool:

BTW, I didn't mean to come across as downplaying the emotional aspects of withdrawal; they are very real, and can lead to relapse. Also, telling someone "Exercise, it'll make you feel better." or "Just wake up earlier and make yourself do something" could come across as unhelpful and non-understanding of where you're really at. I know how it feels to not care about anything, to have so little energy you can't hardly find a reason to move, let alone get up off the couch or out of bed.

I haven't found any way to lower that activation energy hump keeping you down; you just gotta tell yourself over and over until you really believe it, that if you summon up the energy just to get up and start on something (exercise or otherwise) that it will pay off, and will reinvigorate you. That the hardest part is just getting up and starting.

It'll be a battle, hour to hour, then day to day, but it gets easier with time. And when you do reach a point where you can look back on the progress you've made, you'll likely be surprised at how much easier and quicker it was than it seemed at the beginning.

I agree with the last two posts. And begin to focus on the positive things in your life right now. You say you have work coming out your ears? GO DO IT!
And, enjoy doing it. Life is what YOU make it.
Stay sober, and get to work. Share your daily life with family.
The rest will fall into place. This is just the beginning. Good beginnings!

It has only been a week, I am sure even if she was a lousy girlfriend it will take a month to stop thinking about the break up 24-7. Turn the negative into a positive, do whatever you enjoyed (except the drinking) that you gave up to spend time with your girlfriend. I am not saying you totally gave something up, as an example if you went fishing every weekend with your buddies and cut back to every other month because of her go back to fishing every weekend. Go back to how you were before she came a long, enjoy your freedom for a while.

Drinking feels good at the time but as you know, it just makes the next day that much harder to put one foot in front of the other. You need to find an outlet to channel your negative energy. Go for walks or get a dart-board and put a picture of yourself in the middle. Sooner or later you'll get tired of beating yourself up and find a way to lift yourself up. Bar food is not good for your energy levels either. Start eating right, drinking less liquor and dwelling on the past. The future is waiting for you, go blaze your path with your head held high!

True depression is a medical issue. No amount of positive thinking will help if there is a chemical imbalance.

I recommend that you see a professional.

I had very bad postpartum depression onece after having surgery. The combination of pain killers and lack of activity had me down. Way down. Like suicidal down. I called my doctor and he got me on some medication. It made a huge difference. It was a scary time.

I understand that I should focus on the future, but its been a lousy week. I want to exercise, got my bike ready and went for a 1 mile ride, but its raining today. I have no desire to drink, none. In fact, went bar hopping with a friend Saturday night, and drank soda. I am not interested in drinking.

The thing that really has me down is the fact I really have no friends locally to do things with. I wish I could find some community activities to get involved with. I want to get on a fire dept. but the local fire chief is a retard, and we have had it out in the past. I almost dropped my load with the crane on him, intentionally!

I have been looking into the Lions Club, but not sure about how much time I can put forth. Also looking at doing some with the church and the groups they offer. Might be a good way to boost my moral, but when do I have time? I have a few friends, but they don't ever do anything or don't have the money. I have lived here 15 years, and really know no one, other than people in the bar.

So, I don't know what to do immediately. The church stuff will be sunday, and I have my meeting tonight, which should help motivate me. But, it sure is hard.

Josh

True depression is a medical issue. No amount of positive thinking will help if there is a chemical imbalance.

I recommend that you see a professional.

I had very bad postpartum depression onece after having surgery. The combination of pain killers and lack of activity had me down. Way down. Like suicidal down. I called my doctor and he got me on some medication. It made a huge difference. It was a scary time.

Definitely not suicidal. If I have a thought like that, I think about the people I will let down. My customers mean a lot to me, so I can't do that.

Josh

It happens, its part of the up and down and weather and what not.

Eating some healthy stuff and fresh air does help.
On the plus side we're not all getting bombed in syria or the other 100 sh*t countries on this planet, we definitely can be happy about that.

Try to pick the work you enjoy doing the most, it's how I look at most jobs now.

Figure out how to be happy with yourself instead of expecting it to come from someone else.

I kinda get the feeling you might not be the kind of hermit guy that can work alone for years that some of us are? maybe you need someone positive working with you in the shop.

Definitely not suicidal. If I have a thought like that, I think about the people I will let down. My customers mean a lot to me, so I can't do that.

Josh

You need more in your life than your work. Do you have any family members you can go visit? Get out of the shop. A change of scenery will do you good.

The work will still be there when you get back.

I understand that I should focus on the future, but its been a lousy week. I want to exercise, got my bike ready and went for a 1 mile ride, but its raining today. I have no desire to drink, none. In fact, went bar hopping with a friend Saturday night, and drank soda. I am not interested in drinking.

The thing that really has me down is the fact I really have no friends locally to do things with. I wish I could find some community activities to get involved with. I want to get on a fire dept. but the local fire chief is a retard, and we have had it out in the past. I almost dropped my load with the crane on him, intentionally!

I have been looking into the Lions Club, but not sure about how much time I can put forth. Also looking at doing some with the church and the groups they offer. Might be a good way to boost my moral, but when do I have time? I have a few friends, but they don't ever do anything or don't have the money. I have lived here 15 years, and really know no one, other than people in the bar.

So, I don't know what to do immediately. The church stuff will be sunday, and I have my meeting tonight, which should help motivate me. But, it sure is hard.

Josh

Hey Josh

Sounds like your in a rough spot. You just gotta remember things always work themselves out one way or another, but only if you try to make things better. Sometimes you go through long patches of your life where is seems like you have nothing going for you, but in the end im sure you will look back at this day and be glad you didnt take the easy route. Its very easy to turn to drugs and booze. So easy that anyone can do it. It takes a real man to do whats right, and by this point in time of your life im sure you know whats right. Stay positive, or at least optimistic. You'll find another girl. She will probably piss you off too. Get involved in some sort of curricular activity, where you can meet people you can assimlate with. Fire dept wld be a blast, but all of the depts my friends are in seem like a drinking club more than anything so just be careful with that.

Everything will get better...just keep chugging away.

Get up an hour earlier and take a very fast 2-3 mile walk before breakfast. Fast enough to sweat and get your heart pumping. Get home and SSS and have breakfast. Go to work and sweep the floor, take out the trash. Do something simple, but DO something!

I have not heat the "SSS" phrase in 35 years, forgot about that.

CarlBoyd

Back