What's new
What's new

accounting software for mac

idacal

Hot Rolled
Im having issues with the software we have been using. we use peachtree and I am having a lot of problems getting our quotes out I have a lady ( who works as a sub doing the bookkeeping and quotes) who puts them together and she is always complaining about updates messing things up and when I follow up the quote a good third of the clients do not receive them .I have her cc them to me and I get them most of the time and resend send them on and they go right through. all this to say Im spending way to much time dealing with computer/software problems and I'm tired of it. I have never had a pc and have used a mac since I was playing with my dads macintosh 2 in 87. she has always supplied her own computer but last year we did 160 quotes and 60 invoices I have to make this more efficient. Im not computer literate and dont know any tech guys who can teach a 65 year old lady how to use her pc computer after she has used one most of her working life and still can't make do what she wants. so Im thinking of getting her a mac, I can track down most everything on one of these, and if she refuses to learn that answers that question. but I need a decent software before I start burning bridges I dont mind if its cloud based, monthly, just want it to work and do quotes, invoicing, and bookkeeping, and do it without the unending updates screwing other stuff up. o and it has to work on mac anything out there?

I have been using quickbooks pro for almost 20 years now, on Macs. Most recently, I have switched to the PC version, as quickbooks dropped their payroll for macs a few years ago, but now, they will do payroll all online, so I will probably go back to Mac for quickbooks. Its simpler than peachtree. works great.

Don't use Sage 50 (used to be Peachtree.) We do because when we started Quickbooks couldn't do inventory management with BOMs, but since Sage bought them it is basically expensive abandonware. Bugs from five years ago don't get fixed.

Use Quickbooks instead.

Wave doesnt seem to write checks, or do payroll. So it sure wouldnt work for me.

I don't know or use Wave, but your remark made me curious. On their opening web page it talks about doing Payroll. I didn't see anything about writing checks, but didn't spend much time digging ...

I think the last Peachtree was 2011, so why are you still getting updates? I think the last available was in 2013.
If she's emailing quotes and invoices and they aren't going out that's probably an issue with the email client or the way she's doing it, not Peachtree.
I agree on the warning from Comatose about Sage, they are horrible to deal with and that's why I haven't updated or upgraded.

There's a mid sized system called Big Business that's written for Macs and also available for PCs, I've been looking at that for a new alternative to Peachtree

I have used Quickbooks since version 1 for DOS, but they do not really sell software anymore, they sell subscriptions

It is a good package, if you are not doing payroll or shipping via USPS, I would consider finding an old version on CD, I mean, numbers don't change....

Wave does both payroll and writes checks. It's also a lot more modern and intuitive if you're concerned about a 65 year old woman learning a new system. You can also look into Xero. Another modern/intuitive accounting platform that's pretty user friendly and geared towards smaller businesses.

While switching her to a Mac might solve a few issues, you likely still have customers that are on both PCs and Macs both. So while it might solve an internal issue, you may still have customers that aren't receiving the quotes. I'd suggest a change in either your quoting and/or accounting platform instead of the computer. You want to make sure you're fixing the larger issue at hand instead of what's at surface level.

Hope this helps!

Back