Adding pictures to resume? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    No thanks. I'm half Korean... Every Asian woman reminds me of my mother.
    Fair enough.
    But is she hot?

Anyways,
    When I was younger and had to put an effort into jumping ship, I found that keeping a portfolio of molds I built and sample parts to take along to interviews seemed to work well.

Not sure about pictures as part of a resume...
    But to be honest, if someone applying here wanted to attach a REASONABLE sheet with say, the top 3 coolest jobs theyve done, I wouldnt complain at all.

Pictures standing beside a machine would indeed be laughable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

another thing to consider, just because you have a picture of a part doesn't mean you had anything to do with it.

I made some really wicked looking impellers a while back. I had a customer ask if he could take a picture of one to show to a prospective customer. I said sure.

One day I was thumbing through some web sites, and here's MY impeller on their website as a sample of THEIR work. I found it pretty funny.

3. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good point Larry.

I would hope at least, that in a small shop, the guy doing the hiring should be able to look at the picture, and say "so, how'd you make that?"
    Filter the wheat from the chaff...

5. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. The only picture of a weld that matters is an X-ray.
    There's quite a bit of opportunity out there for good welders who can pass various weld tests/procedures and a piss test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    seems everybody had different opinions. its amazing at times all the reasons resumes are thrown in trash without looking at. or they read something they dont like and its thrown away or resume is too long and thrown away
    If you worked for a large company and a similar company had a mass lay-off you can end up flooded with applicants. Most of the HR people don't know who is qualified for a job and even if they did would not know how to weed out the people who extremely exaggerate their skills. What happens is someone who usually has a full plate gets an extra task shoved at them, so they have to find a way to narrow that pile down quickly to maybe a half dozen to a dozen guys worth an interview.

8. Likes Steven-Canada liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a small portfolio I made that I have brought to a job interview that was well received. Two pages of pictures of parts I have made in a simple black leather binder. A resume is there to get you in the door for an interview, getting the job is a different thing. Lots of bullshitters out there. I will also say anytime you deviate from the norm its either going to be a big plus or a big negative. Which one it is comes down entirely to how you present it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking for a job is another exercise in selling. I've spend a lot of time in sales and always look for ways to differentiate what I'm selling, in the case of employment, yourself, I'd never have mine sit in a stack of resumes to be tossed aside by some stranger. I also wouldn't put pictures in it - decorum. Its like wearing a purple suit - it would differentiate you but for the wrong reasons.

Technology makes it easy to do both. Keep the resume formal in keeping with expectations but put up a web page with pics galore. You'd go the top of the pile with me just by showing you had that level of interest in your craft and career. I've never have someone do it, but would sure be a pleasant surprise.

i also very often hire the guy who knocks on the door with the resume. Wearing off some shoe leather and going out of the comfort zone to make 'cold calls' shows a little bit more interest in the job and career and differentiates you from the resume pile. Come pound on the door, tell me how much you want job, how hard you'll work and devoted you are and watch how fast the job offer comes.

11. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose pictures could really make a resume stand out. Using pictures of things made would make a impression before any personal interview and may even clinch a interview.

13. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have taken a portfolio of pictures of parts I've made to an interview before, and it has gone down well. Haven't ever attached them to a CV though.

15. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Hell no to pictures...
    This, hell no!

Photos do not belong in a resume.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    another thing to consider, just because you have a picture of a part doesn't mean you had anything to do with it.

I made some really wicked looking impellers a while back. I had a customer ask if he could take a picture of one to show to a prospective customer. I said sure.

One day I was thumbing through some web sites, and here's MY impeller on their website as a sample of THEIR work. I found it pretty funny.
    YES^^^

I once worked with a guy who had some pics on his phone... Cnnstantyl telling me "HE" did this and this, etc I worked with him a few years, I knew damn well he didn"t "DO" those things, he programmed them (maybe?) and the setup guy did the work...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YES^^^
    If they're lairs, they're lairs and will do the same with words. To me the impact of something like a web site listed on the resume would be the suggestion that its someone who is into what does, tries a little harder and thinks a little more than the next guy as opposed to straight up testimony of machining ability

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using pictures with you in them would be a big no.
    Pictures of your work and parts if fancy enough and applicable to the job being looked at is interesting and way outside the norm.
    Bigger places and your resume will get reviewed first line by people who will not know if this pic is good or bad work so worthless at that point and you may be seen as someone who does not follow rules and etiquette.
    Mid or small and the fact that it is strange may get you the few extra seconds of looking.
    I think that such pics should go on your facebook or linkedin page which will get seen if you make the first round.

There are a sort of standard rules here. Bending or breaking them may make you look radical, foolish or just a kid.
    I know there is the how to stand out from the crowd and any salesman can tell you that 3-30 seconds more than the other guy can be gold.
    My guess is such would maybe help in very small employers and be a bad thing in mid and large.

If applying for stuff I make no matter how sweet, sweat involved and clean you have made likely someone else in my building has already done it so the picture becomes "Oh-yea, we do that",,,,, yawn.
    I want a driven employee, not a braggart. Pics may make you look too proud of your work.
    Bob

20. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for the input, I'm going to go with a portfolio brought along to an interview (if I get one). Any pictures I would include would be of parts I've worked on and would include the back story behind the pic.

The shop I was looking into the is a smaller shop where i would likely be able to talk to the owner/other important people. I wouldn't bother with pics for a larger corporate type shop because I know the ones who would appreciate them are not the ones who are going to be looking at the resume.

22. Likes mneuro, AndyF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Using pictures with you in them would be a big no.
    Pictures of your work and parts if fancy enough and applicable to the job being looked at is interesting and way outside the norm.
    Bigger places and your resume will get reviewed first line by people who will not know if this pic is good or bad work so worthless at that point and you may be seen as someone who does not follow rules and etiquette.
    Mid or small and the fact that it is strange may get you the few extra seconds of looking.
    I think that such pics should go on your facebook or linkedin page which will get seen if you make the first round.

There are a sort of standard rules here. Bending or breaking them may make you look radical, foolish or just a kid.
    I know there is the how to stand out from the crowd and any salesman can tell you that 3-30 seconds more than the other guy can be gold.
    My guess is such would maybe help in very small employers and be a bad thing in mid and large.

If applying for stuff I make no matter how sweet, sweat involved and clean you have made likely someone else in my building has already done it so the picture becomes "Oh-yea, we do that",,,,, yawn.
    I want a driven employee, not a braggart. Pics may make you look too proud of your work.
    Bob
    It would also make me very leery of possible NDA violations.

We live in a very small world today. The concept of your own website with a gallery of what you have made sounds nice but I would not be impressed if your website contained pictures of parts that went into my finished product.

In this day and age less is better. Having good references that are verifiable are what counts. Good resumes are plentiful and most only have the value of poor toilet paper.

24. Likes AndyF, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago I interviewed a guy that brought in prints of projects he worked on which I felt was odd since his initials were not on the print he showed me but what got me was that was property of caterpillar and not his.

26. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would almost prefer pictures of their work.

It's easier to lie with words than a picture. I would want to know the role the applicant played in its production.

I have had some pretty darn good fixture designs that can't be appreciated without pictures. I'f I'm hiring someone for the that kind of work I'm going to want to see their work.

28. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    It would also make me very leery of possible NDA violations.

We live in a very small world today. The concept of your own website with a gallery of what you have made sounds nice but I would not be impressed if your website contained pictures of parts that went into my finished product.

In this day and age less is better. Having good references that are verifiable are what counts. Good resumes are plentiful and most only have the value of poor toilet paper.
    A well made point.
    Are these parts and work truly yours? If you designed and made it then your work.
    If you built to someone's print showing it off is very questionable and could lead to questioning your integrity.
    Do I want to hire someone that takes in house designs and shows them off to the competition? Will they later do the same to me for a extra dollar a hour?

Usually NDAs are signed of at a upper level and floor machinists do not understand these things.
    You may have signed something when you got hired but this is buried in the fine print and nobody thinks about.
    It's maybe good to talk to everyone from the guy that cleans the toilet and coolant tanks to your master machinist about this end.

Not so sure about references.
    When shopping for a job I had some pretty good ones many of whom at a level where you very politely ask "Can I put your name and contact info here".
    Over a hundred resumes/applications sent out. Not a single one was ever contacted.
    Maybe this happens in the second or third round.
    I do get calls on this ex employee listing me and was he/she good but it's from agencies verifying employment and they don't care good or bad. Just want to check a box.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have a "No Cameras / Pictures" policy. Not sure what I would think of an applicant bringing me pictures of someone elses products, equipment or shop.....but I dont think I would like it.

31. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm just surprised everyone here assumes the only thing a machinist could or would ever make is customer parts from print on their bosses equipment.........

33. Likes Jashley73 liked this post