Adding pictures to resume? - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You must be a real joy to have as an employee.
    You are assuming that I act the same way at my job as I do in a discussion on an internet forum? There is no real point to spread ideas or have in depth discussions at work, work is work, can't talk when you are working. It is funny though as I have seen you post some interest things about your time as an employee, which I can only assume is why you started your own business, which is what I have done too... I don't think shop owners ever really make good employees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trust me, if you have a Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin account. Your possible employer already has enough pictures of you in every aspect of your life already. Believe me, he saw them all before you even sit down with him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    Absolute "YES" on the portfolio to bring with you on the interview. .......
    Here is how old I am.
    The thought of bringing a "portfolio" to a interview never occurred to me. I'd pretty much walk in with nothing but me and sell myself.
    The times are a changing.

If you made say axle shafts you could go to the dealer and photo your parts in the car, photoing it inside the plant or at the shipping dock would fall under not a good idea.
    Pictures of "process along the way" would be way worse.
    Sure anyone who jumps ship tells the new captain how they did it where they came from. Many consider op sequencing "trade secrets" even when it is obvious.
    Moving that info on the net is different than whispering it to the new boss.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to be an administrator (paid gofer) in an aerospace company. At times when they were hiring one of my duties was pre-screening resumes for the big boss. My instructions were that any resume with a picture or more than one page was to go into the round file.

He probably missed out on some good candidates that way, but that was they way that they did it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    Trust me, if you have a Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin account. Your possible employer already has enough pictures of you in every aspect of your life already. Believe me, he saw them all before you even sit down with him.
    Coooommmeee... onnn

I just googled myself and got nothing (I have FB and Instagram, not to mention multiple gaming accounts and such). I changed the search filters multiple times and still found nothing. I am not saying you can't be found, but it's not like Google>find Tom Smith> and BOOM his entire life story is on display... (well ok, if he has his life story on display! LoL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just googled myself and got this

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Here is how old I am.
    The thought of bringing a "portfolio" to a interview never occurred to me. I'd pretty much walk in with nothing but me and sell myself.
    The times are a changing.

If you made say axle shafts you could go to the dealer and photo your parts in the car, photoing it inside the plant or at the shipping dock would fall under not a good idea.
    Pictures of "process along the way" would be way worse.
    Sure anyone who jumps ship tells the new captain how they did it where they came from. Many consider op sequencing "trade secrets" even when it is obvious.
    Moving that info on the net is different than whispering it to the new boss.
    Bob
    I sort of draw a line at sharing parts or processes from paying customers' work. Most (all?) of the stuff in said portfolio were various tooling/fixture/repair/design-build projects that I worked on. Maybe you'd consider showing our customer part sitting on said fixture a no-no, but I thought it gave some context to the "mystery item" that I designed, built, etc...

Said portfolio was shown to the owner of a shop in a totally different industry by the way... Any IP or "trade secrets" would be near useless to them... Would I show that same portfolio to our arch-rival competitor? Personally, I would not. I'd be happy to discuss how I thought my experience could be useful to them should I take the job, but I'd stop before vomiting up such detailed info in an interview. That's just a personal line I wouldn't be comfortable crossing. I can't say the same for everyone else obviously.

EDIT: Also keep in mind Bob, that the pool of qualified, skilled workers isn't what it was in the 90's... (Hey, YOU brought up how old you are... ) I'd say a lot of owners are fairly skeptical of someone walking in now, with __ years experience, that says they can do all ___________________ . The photos/portfolio is a nice way to get a conversation going at a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 90's was a long time ago?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!'
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Coooommmeee... onnn

I just googled myself and got nothing (I have FB and Instagram, not to mention multiple gaming accounts and such). I changed the search filters multiple times and still found nothing. I am not saying you can't be found, but it's not like Google>find Tom Smith> and BOOM his entire life story is on display... (well ok, if he has his life story on display! LoL)
    I don't think you know your way around the net.
    You have never had a drivers license or traffic ticket, registered a car in your name, owned a piece of property, paid property taxes, gotten a loan or mortgage, been married or have siblings that did. You and parents never had a public phone number?
    Did not go to a public school? Never had a mailing address?
    Try asking for your credit rating on some places. The cert questions are sort of "How do they know this? I don't even remember".
    If someone is willing to drop 15-100 bucks there is an insane amount of info to be had.

I don't mind and am not bothered by it all. Nothing to hide, sure I've made mistakes but own up to them all.
    Before the net we would hire PIs do do the background checks and they would come up with all this information in two weeks albeit at a much higher cost.
    Added info was who you where dating, what bars you went to, your daily routine. Life here has never been private.

Most of my connections are wide open and fairly unprotected other than real basic stuff. No way you keep out very determined people on any operating system.

It seems not having a accessible Facebook and LinkedIn account can be a serious detriment in the application process. HR expects you to be sociable. I got spanked and questioned here for not having both.
    Luckily my interviewer was of my age. I doubt I'd have passed with a late 20 something.

Bob
    (since Jashley has met me and been in my shop seeing my ancient machines it's weird that he says 90's is a long time back...That now cnc fitted Agathon is a 1968 and we've owned it since new)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think you know your way around the net.
    You have never had a drivers license or traffic ticket, registered a car in your name, owned a piece of property, paid property taxes, gotten a loan or mortgage, been married or have siblings that did. You and parents never had a public phone number?
    Did not go to a public school? Never had a mailing address?
    Try asking for your credit rating on some places. The cert questions are sort of "How do they know this? I don't even remember".
    If someone is willing to drop 15-100 bucks there is an insane amount of info to be had.

I don't mind and am not bothered by it all. Nothing to hide, sure I've made mistakes but own up to them all.
    Before the net we would hire PIs do do the background checks and they would come up with all this information in two weeks albeit at a much higher cost.
    Added info was who you where dating, what bars you went to, your daily routine. Life here has never been private.

Most of my connections are wide open and fairly unprotected other than real basic stuff. No way you keep out very determined people on any operating system.

It seems not having a accessible Facebook and LinkedIn account can be a serious detriment in the application process. HR expects you to be sociable. I got spanked and questioned here for not having both.
    Luckily my interviewer was of my age. I doubt I'd have passed with a late 20 something.

Bob
    (since Jashley has met me and been in my shop seeing my ancient machines it's weird that he says 90's is a long time back...That now cnc fitted Agathon is a 1968 and we've owned it since new)
    I know well enough, my point was it is not magic like some people think, IE they* think they can hide by NOT having facebook etc... We have been thru this before, order a pizza give 'em your cc details and address, or order from Amazon, or whatever...

* they being people that like to "slam" FB and every other social media type outlet because ... I dunno, they don't like it so no one else should?? I don't doubt someone could find me if they really wanted to.

edit: I am even going to quote my original post in part of what I said --

" I am not saying you can't be found "

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bob
    My point about the 90's was simply to contrast the difference in the trade. Lots more machinists back then. Wouldn't be unusual for someone to switch jobs & bring some serious skills with them. Much more rare to find that today was my only point.

(Plus, let's do the math - 1990 itself was almost 30 years ago... I was 4 then, and not until almost 3/4 through!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Coooommmeee... onnn

I'm not referring to Google.. Search the name in facebook, instagram ect.