What's new
What's new

Air Blow gun that doesnt leak @120psi...

DanASM

Hot Rolled
I got a cheap home depot "husky"? brand. I knew it would suck and not last long, but this thing leaks like it is open all the time.

There is a company near me that makes air guns and is very well known. Guardair Corporation is the company. I havent talked to them yet but was hoping someone had personal experience with these before.

I want to know if anyone has experience with high pressure blow guns.

I just purchased a Hardinge GT and want to fix up my air system. I need a refrigerated air dryer and some more water traps. Might as well get some good accessories to go along with it.

I just talked myself out of a screw compressor due to not needing enough air. I guess they like to run a lot and get the oil hot enough to burn off the vapor. That wont happen in my situation, so I am leaning towards adding another tank and keeping a larger supply of air on hand.

The system doesnt leak anywhere except for the nozzles at the end of the line. I think this piston compressor should be fine for a while until I get a few more cnc's.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I cannot directly answer what you want. I had a few air pistols that always limited the amount of force that I wanted.
I guy suggested that I use a small ball valve. It does work the best. Except don't drop it in the open poisition. The thing
will sail around the shop like a King Cobra snake. A fix for that would be a spring loaded release that shuts the valve if
the device is released from hand control. A safety strap or hood of some kind might work so that you never let it go by accident.

2 cents

Coilhose pneumatics make the ones I use. Husky makes the ones I throw away. Cejn (sain) makes some really good hose quick connects, and some different blow off guns. One blow off gun is pressure limited. Put it against your arm and it will blow until it gets really close. Then back pressure shuts it down.

I bought my blow gun off the SnapOn truck back in HS 25 years ago. It does not have their name on it, but it has been a great gun, no limits that I can tell and no leaks. It is rubber tipped as that is what I want. I have used it everyday and is really my only gun, so I use it at my cnc and also when I need it everywhere else. No idea if it would still be worth looking there, I have been on a truck in a very long time...

Or use a regulator just for the blowgun.

A more focussed stream of air can do the same work at lower pressure. Doesn't meet Osha standards, but I like a short piece of copper tubing about .090" ID as the final nozzle/orifice. An 1/8" pipe plug mates with the blowgun, then a through hole and a chamfer on the blowgun side of the plug and a mating flared end to the tubing keeps it all in place. Accidentally poke the work and the tubing slides back through the plug.

A little OT, but 120 psi is a lot.

They make them near your place and bought Chinese crap instead ?

Let's hope you never get any work from your neighbors.....

Coilhose pneumatics make the ones I use. Husky makes the ones I throw away. Cejn (sain) makes some really good hose quick connects, and some different blow off guns. One blow off gun is pressure limited. Put it against your arm and it will blow until it gets really close. Then back pressure shuts it down.

What he said. The Coilhose units outlast the cheapos by several times.

What he said. The Coilhose units outlast the cheapos by several times.

I looked over then on their website and they look like they are built rugged, like the guardair ones. The cheap ones say they will hold 150 psi. I am no where near that and getting a steady leak.

I like 100-140 psi at the gun and none of those blow off holes or safeties.
(Do not tell inspectors as we hide these nowadays along with a handful of other things)

Why the safe blow air blow?
Because of idiot employees. High pressure will inject into skin and the there is the stick an air hose into someones butt.
Pour gasoline on your hand and then use high air pressure to dry it as one bad example.
Cheap stuff expects something downstream. Good stuff will take 200 and never leak or cry.
Bob

I have a Coilhose that hangs on the lip between the doors of my VTC30. Doors are shut but for the small space that blow gun needs, no problem. But sometimes when working my thigh hits the blowgun lever. Usually when my hands are deep into something on the table. Almost leaves a mark in my undies when that happens.

Man I have a cheap harbor freight one that doesn’t leak at all. I bought a slightly nicer one but it has no throttle really. Just like goes full blast. I prefer the harbor freight one.
Shop used to be regulated to 120 but recently changed to 100 in the whole shop.

I like 100-140 psi at the gun and none of those blow off holes or safeties.
(Do not tell inspectors as we hide these nowadays along with a handful of other things)

Why the safe blow air blow?
Because of idiot employees. High pressure will inject into skin and the there is the stick an air hose into someones butt.
Pour gasoline on your hand and then use high air pressure to dry it as one bad example.
Cheap stuff expects something downstream. Good stuff will take 200 and never leak or cry.
Bob

My dad says years ago he worked somewhere and this happened and killed the guy. He has always told me not to mess with air. As soon as any air bubbles make it to your heart you die.

Also he said he has seen a bar whip out of the end of a machine and caught the guys clothes and ripped them off. Turned around and the guy was standing there white as a ghost and bare ass naked.

Safety first.

I've kept my eye on older machine shops closing on the auction block. They usually pile up all the blow guns in one lot/bin. They are usually the good old made units that are built like tanks. Get some new quick connect fittings and tips and you'll have a stockpile on hand.

Or use a regulator just for the blowgun.

A more focussed stream of air can do the same work at lower pressure. Doesn't meet Osha standards, but I like a short piece of copper tubing about .090" ID as the final nozzle/orifice. An 1/8" pipe plug mates with the blowgun, then a through hole and a chamfer on the blowgun side of the plug and a mating flared end to the tubing keeps it all in place. Accidentally poke the work and the tubing slides back through the plug.

A little OT, but 120 psi is a lot.

I thought the blowguns used for blowing off parts weren't supposed to go over 90 psi or so, as per OSHA.

I like the CEJN blow guns. Supposedly up to 232psi but I run my shop at 90

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/48643142?rItem=48643142

That CEJN gun is what McMaster sells.
McMaster-Carr

It's a nice gun. But contrary to apparently everyone else that has commented, I put a safety tip on it. The tip McMaster calls "Safety with Chip Guard" seems to work really well for getting chips out of cavities. The flow is way less, but it seems to direct the air out the sides better. I use it for cleaning bored features and pockets and it works great. A lot quieter.
McMaster-Carr

I thought the blowguns used for blowing off parts weren't supposed to go over 90 psi or so, as per OSHA.

I thought I saw some of the OSHA approved guns listed somewhere. They had long nozzles to get it away from the operator. Made sense. Didnt see anything about lower pressure though.

Silvent brand made in Sweeden. Probably the best blow gun you can buy? Not cheap averaging about $200 although they do turn up at auctions sometimes. Got a used one 6 yrs ago and it has been flawless, no leaks, is pretty powerful for what little air it uses and is surprisingly quiet.

Back