Air conditioning the shop - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here is a basic rough in calculator to figure your heating and cooling. punch in your numbers and see how many watts per hour you need then figure how much per watt you pay BTU Calculator

2. Likes paul39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on the upgrade Kevin. No doubt you and your employees will love it.

I met a guy a few years ago from Iowa who had a 45,000 sq. ft. shop that he air conditioned. He said he easily made up for the cost of running it in increased efficiency of his employees. As a bonus he said he is able to hire better help because of the air conditioning. He said that many times when people are looking for work the air conditioning was a deciding factor in who they wanted to work for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've fantasizing about doing a temporary/ red-neck system in my little rental shop. Got some close tolerance parts to make (that'll have to be done before any AC dreams).
    I was thinking and old used condenser with on of those ductless units on the inside would be the cheapest route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once had a shop where I could not modify the building.. I had a back door that I made a rolling plywood ''insert" for. I mounted a window unit in the insert. In the morning I would open the door wide, roll the insert into place and turn on the AC The water driped outside the door and ran off..

At night I just rolled the insert inside and locked up..

About a Redneck as you can get

I also thought about making an insert for under the rollup door but moved before I had a chance to do so..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

6. Likes TDegenhart, dennymcmaster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seen a farm shop with a semi van box reefer unit mounted in the side wall of shop. Not sure how well it worked, is that redneck enough for you. You could track your cost to run by how much diesel you dump into the thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just in Tucson this past weekend, went to Saguaro National park. It was awesome, kinda stormy out. Was thinking about moving down there. What is the Machining industry like in the area?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    I've fantasizing about doing a temporary/ red-neck system in my little rental shop. Got some close tolerance parts to make (that'll have to be done before any AC dreams).
    I was thinking and old used condenser with on of those ductless units on the inside would be the cheapest route.
    About as cheap to use the "unitary" ones that don't need to have their refrigerant line messed with.

Two big elephant-trunk ribbed flex ducts. Pull hot air out through one. Push chilled air in through the other. Not easy to DIY the ducting onto an ORDINARY window unit, but it can be done.

Page Two:

SMALL spaces, the "portable" 10 K BTU / 15 K BTU off an ignorant 120 V wall-socket, no 240 V needed, sits inside the space, blows the hot air out ONE flex duct similar to a large clothes-dryer.

Installation, if one has double-hung sash windows, takes about five minutes after it is out of the box.

Lowes & c. have these. Not the best way to do A/C, but they can surely save yerazz.

10. Likes mkd liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by assface421 View Post
    I was just in Tucson this past weekend, went to Saguaro National park. It was awesome, kinda stormy out. Was thinking about moving down there. What is the Machining industry like in the area?
    There's actually a decent number of shops in the area. Lots of aerospace stuff and shops that do work for Raytheon. Wages aren't the greatest, but cost of living is a lot less than California.

If you ask me, Tucson beats the hell out of Commiefornia any day!

-Tim

12. Likes assface421, mkd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

12sq ft 6 ton unit stays at 67~

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    12sq ft 6 ton unit stays at 67~
    So?

21+ CUBIC ft, each fridge stays below 37 F... zero or below in their freezer compartments..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Tucson beats the hell out of Commiefornia any day!
    IF ONLY...anybody could find a way to remove some of the "Hell" from Calfornicyah, by beating or otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    So?

21+ CUBIC ft, each fridge stays below 37 F... zero or below in their freezer compartments..

Maybe even 20.5

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    I've fantasizing about doing a temporary/ red-neck system in my little rental shop.
    I don't know if it would work in Tucson but should help ... just insulating the roof made a huge difference in a more temperate climate. And I even talked the landlord into giving credit for half the cost

Probably worth it if you have air conditioning, too. Cut down on the electricity bill ...

18. Likes Monarchist, mkd, dennymcmaster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No AC in my shop, but a couple years ago I bought one of the big port-a-cool evap coolers. This week it was triple digits. I just roll it over to where I am working and point it at me.

107 degrees in my driveway, 74 at my machine ten feet away.

They're not very good in high humidity climates, but if you're up north or out west they'll save your bacon in the heat waves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    No AC in my shop, but a couple years ago I bought one of the big port-a-cool evap coolers. This week it was triple digits. I just roll it over to where I am working and point it at me.

107 degrees in my driveway, 74 at my machine ten feet away.

They're not very good in high humidity climates, but if you're up north or out west they'll save your bacon in the heat waves.
    I tried a large roll around evaporative cooler in my barn for a year once. I bought it new and it was nice on days when the humidity is low but that's not often. I finally sold it and just use a 3'ft fan now.

Fans are fine for a hobby machinist but if you are in a production shop, real A/C would definitely increase production and reduce scrap. It's hard to think straight when you are burning up in a 90 degree shop. If I owned a production shop, I would want my employees to be nice and cool.

21. Likes Mike1974, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I owned my building it would have proper climate control, but I have trouble spending the money improving someone else's property.

Not too many shops in the NW are air conditioned, we only really need it a couple weeks in the summer.

I have a tougher time staying warm in the winter than staying cool in the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are units called move and cool that are portable units that work very well.

We used them in the past for emergency cooling of communication equipment.

They have fixture for ductwork on both sides to allow one to be placed anywhere and hot condenser air ducted out.

Being portable one wheels it to where needed when needed then places it away.

Or can be semi hard installed in place in a leased building then simply unplugged and rolled out leaving any hard assets like ducting in place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would do one of those movincool units, but I can't come up with a good way to exhaust the hot air and still get the cool air to where I want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

30 years at this trade and out of those 30, 1 year of it was at a climate controlled shop.
    Being right in the middle of the south you can imagine there are many many days of 95+ at the machine your running.

The way the foreman kept production up at one place I worked, large job shop, was using his favorite saying.."If you can't do it I will get someone who can tomorrow"

I ENVY the hell out of you guys who don't have to constantly wipe oily sweat off your glasses or having to keep reaching down and pulling up your sweat soaked drawers and pants.

26. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw one of these the other day on a guy. I had to look it up and post here. Interesting... a little pricey though...

FlexiFreeze Personal Cooling Kit, Zipper Front - - Amazon.com

28. Likes IronReb liked this post