Air conditioning the shop - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 115
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4264
    Likes (Received)
    3966

    Default

    Good for you, Kevin. Good for you!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    1157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    I got our first full bill for the ac electricty. We kept the shop at 78 degrees during the work day. 83 after we left. The bill was 789 which was about 200 dollars more than usual, our water bill was cut in half so it was only costing us about 160 dollars more per month to be comfortable. I love this I wish I could have afforded it earlier.
    You could have afforded it earlier, you just didn't know that! The electric bill is nothing, compare how much real work gets done, how many fewer mistakes there are, and most important of all the attitude change of your employees.

  3. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
  4. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    People's Republic
    Posts
    6,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    764
    Likes (Received)
    3859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Striker1s View Post
    I bought a little A/C in the room and everything is okay. When the guy fromcame to me he asked why do I need A/C because in my home the temperature is not too high, I told him that it is for my cage pig and he said that it is a new fashion wave to install A/C in the room for cage pigs.

    Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM


    Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM


    Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM

    lovely spam beautiful spam


    Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM Spam SPAM SPAM SPAM

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    2,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    344
    Likes (Received)
    1183

    Default

    Finally lose your last marble or just a really slow night?

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    4,577
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13931
    Likes (Received)
    5598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Finally lose your last marble or just a really slow night?
    He quoted a spammer. The spammer's post got deleted. But the quote still shows.

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dewees Texas
    Posts
    3,440
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    1142

    Default

    I wonder if he did a full quote or a partial? I have sometimes thought quoting is redundant but the post you are making a reference to can be modified or deleted.
    Evidently the post before mine in another thread was deleted and someone made a comment that post 103? was extremist and that the writer of 103? was now on his ignore list. I could not figure out what I had done. Later it came out that the previous post had been deleted and the number scheme had changed.

  8. Likes Ox liked this post
  9. #67
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9273
    Likes (Received)
    6042

    Default

    Speaking of spam...there's never a PM thread so old that some twatmuffin won't jump on it.

  10. Likes Trueturning, Joe Miranda, digger doug liked this post
  11. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    8,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1724

    Default

    Every air conditiong book i have ever read has, in the front, the story of the egyptain phgaroh who had a summer palace. It was made of stone and stayed cool during he day. At night he slept in a tent and the castle was taken apart to cool.
    Bill D

  12. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2077
    Likes (Received)
    3907

    Default

    I haven't read all of this but I do not see a reference to accuracy. Especially if you are working with something like aluminum that has a higher expansion rate than steel, close tolerances don't mean much when you have a large temperature swing. One shop I worked in during the energy crunch in the 70s had a super accurate machinist, the kind who let a machine run for a couple of hours before he would make anything on it. One weekend the accountant turned the thermostat down on Friday. Monday morning was not a pleasant scene. Remember that big hunks of iron warm at different rates. He wouldn't do anything but rough out parts to be finished later for four days. I A/Ced my shop from the beginning just to keep dimensions from creeping around.

    Bill

  13. Likes Trueturning, Steven-Canada, Oldwrench liked this post
  14. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    2,285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    1256

    Default

    Long sigh. It is best to AC a few parts of the shop. Specifically, the areas where the owner works. Me. The rest of uz guyz need a hot shop cuz going in and out of AC area will hurt you.

  15. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I've heard and read on many forums about hydronic air conditioning system and I think it's a great idea, but I'm not surprised at all because we are in the 21st century and technologies are more and more new and useful, saving our lives in every domain. By the way, my brother works for a company that provides general aircon services so if you need such services, I highly recommend this company because I see how much effort they put into their work and how prepared they are all for any case. Best Aircon Servicing | Best Aircon Chemical Wash | Purer Fresher Air in my opinion is the best.
    Last edited by Rardstore; 03-10-2021 at 01:12 PM.

  16. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8080
    Likes (Received)
    9798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rardstore View Post
    I've heard and read on many forums about hydronic air conditioning system and I think it's a great idea, but I'm not surprised at all because we are in the 21st century and technologies are more and more new and useful, saving our lives in every domain.
    RARD:

    Most of your posts seem semi ligit, while a cpl others seem spammy. Possibly even tag-team spammy.
    But some of your posts appear that you have some amount of machine experience.

    I am not banning you at this time, but I am leaving this post up so that I can reach you.

    If you are not intending to be spamming, say so now, AND watch your future posts so that they don't appear that way.
    Otherwise I may stop back and finish the job.


    -------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  17. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    4,872
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4530
    Likes (Received)
    919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I haven't read all of this but I do not see a reference to accuracy. Especially if you are working with something like aluminum that has a higher expansion rate than steel, close tolerances don't mean much when you have a large temperature swing. One shop I worked in during the energy crunch in the 70s had a super accurate machinist, the kind who let a machine run for a couple of hours before he would make anything on it. One weekend the accountant turned the thermostat down on Friday. Monday morning was not a pleasant scene. Remember that big hunks of iron warm at different rates. He wouldn't do anything but rough out parts to be finished later for four days. I A/Ced my shop from the beginning just to keep dimensions from creeping around.

    Bill
    Machinists are the first to be blamed when something goes wrong like you described. Good that the machinist was able to associate the cause and effect. I recall one place I was boring the ID on a part manually in a Monarch lathe which was a large chucked four jaw. The weather was going freezing that day dropping rapidly as snow started piling up. Usually very little snow in that town. No AC and only wood burning stove in the back of the shop. My readings began stable with my roughing and test finish bore and it was jumping around. Everyone experienced the same we shut the shop down for that day and the next three. About 1983.

  18. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1115
    Likes (Received)
    1428

    Default

    Last summer was our first in our new shop and we were not insulated until late in the season. I have been wondering if I could sool the shop with the river running by, I have permission to pull water from the river to irrigate with and I don't imagine there would be much objection if the irrigation water went through a big radiator in the shop on its way to the grass. I will look into the water temp, it was too cool to sit in on hot days last year but I never thought to measure it. Does anyone here cool their shop with a river?

  19. Likes Joe Miranda liked this post
  20. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    6,367
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2537
    Likes (Received)
    3151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Last summer was our first in our new shop and we were not insulated until late in the season. I have been wondering if I could sool the shop with the river running by, I have permission to pull water from the river to irrigate with and I don't imagine there would be much objection if the irrigation water went through a big radiator in the shop on its way to the grass. I will look into the water temp, it was too cool to sit in on hot days last year but I never thought to measure it. Does anyone here cool their shop with a river?
    I don't know, but I would think introducing that much water would wreak havoc with humidity and rust.

  21. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    27,739
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8080
    Likes (Received)
    9798

    Default

    Not emitting water (swamp) just running through a rad.

    Besides, doo thing rust in I Doo Hoe?


    --------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  22. Likes kustomizer liked this post
  23. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Not emitting water (swamp) just running through a rad.

    Besides, doo thing rust in I Doo Hoe?


    --------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I think some people had a different image in their head...including me...
    Fallingwater - Frank Lloyd Wright - Tour the house today - Pennsylvania

  24. Likes Oldwrench, mountie liked this post
  25. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1115
    Likes (Received)
    1428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Not emitting water (swamp) just running through a rad.

    Besides, doo thing rust in I Doo Hoe?


    --------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Yep, big radiator, hydronic I recon, perhaps an intercooler off a Peterbuilt.

    They salt our roads, so along with that comes some rust, I have a dehumidifier in the shop that catches about a half a quart a day this time of year, a lot more in the summer

  26. Likes Ox liked this post
  27. #79
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9273
    Likes (Received)
    6042

    Default

    We keep the shop at 72°F all the time, 24/7, with no nightime drop. I don't care what it costs, it's worth it to be able to count on the machine accuracy. In cases where the op has to chase a dimension with a 5-digit mic we run a morning warmup cycle, but for anything else it's just make parts.

    I would AC the production floor before the management spaces if it came down to a choice. When interviewing candidates we tell them it's going to be 72° in here whether it's 105° outside or minus 15° outside. We don't work outside, and don't want it to feel like we do. That really resonates with people coming from other shops, especially those who are just burned out with oilfield machine work. I think it's a competitive advantage in hiring and advise everyone to do it.

  28. Likes aerodark, Ox, Steven-Canada liked this post
  29. #80
    Guest Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    RARD:

    Most of your posts seem semi ligit, while a cpl others seem spammy. Possibly even tag-team spammy.
    But some of your posts appear that you have some amount of machine experience.

    I am not banning you at this time, but I am leaving this post up so that I can reach you.

    If you are not intending to be spamming, say so now, AND watch your future posts so that they don't appear that way.
    Otherwise I may stop back and finish the job.


    -------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I think he is a 100% spammer, he just seems to throw out multiple recipes on what to mix it with.

  30. Likes Oldwrench, Steven-Canada liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •