Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friend of mine is a veterinarian, she said they used to vaccinate dogs against corona virus years ago. They stopped doing it because it wasn't considered particularly dangerous, and no one makes the vaccine anymore.

The response compared to the reported numbers infected seems incongruous- I'm wondering if officials believe it's a lot more widespread than is being reported.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Friend of mine is a veterinarian, she said they used to vaccinate dogs against corona virus years ago.
    There's lots of different types of corona viruses, not just one ...

The response compared to the reported numbers infected seems incongruous- I'm wondering if officials believe it's a lot more widespread than is being reported.
    Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of "this is a great opportunity for a lifelike training exercise, because some day one of these things is going to come along and be deadly."

This is a lot of turmoil for something like that but ... may be. Those guys don't mind turning the world upside-down for an idea. All we are is dust in the wind.

No one I know is going to go down to the hospital and count corpses tho, so no way to know for sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    There's lots of different types of corona viruses, not just one ...

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of "this is a great opportunity for a lifelike training exercise, because some day one of these things is going to come along and be deadly."

This is a lot of turmoil for something like that but ... may be. Those guys don't mind turning the world upside-down for an idea. All we are is dust in the wind.

No one I know is going to go down to the hospital and count corpses tho, so no way to know for sure
    The WSJ did an article last week about a 33yr old optometrist from Wuhan who was arrested when he first started posting warnings on social media about how bad this thing was back in early January. I guess at some point the govt decided to let him go but the guy soon got the disease from s patient and died a week ago. Poor guy left behind a little one and pregnant wife..I have to think if this thing is taking down otherwise healthy 33yr olds it must be pretty bad. They say the USA has lost 8500 this yr to the flu but most are eldery or otherwise sick so really the flu seems like a nuisance in comparison.

There was another interesting article that I read from a website with a bit of a political slant but otherwise very accurate info. They were reporting on an Epoch Times article where the reporters visited Wuhan area crematoriums and found workers reporting burning 4-5 times as many bodies as usual and after visiting enough of them found several hundreds more bodies being burned than daily cases of Corona deaths being reported.

Do Chinese people usually cremate their dead or bury then? Unless maybe with funerals being prohibited maybe people are opting for cremation over burial? Otherwise if this article is true maybe this thing is a lot worse than thought?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adammil1 View Post
    Do Chinese people usually cremate their dead or bury then?
    Cremation seems to be the norm. It's not unheard of to have the ancestors in a niche in the front hall, and burn some incense for them once a month. I rented a house like that once, the family would come over every month and have a little ceremony then leave. It was bad luck to move the ashes.

Otherwise if this article is true maybe this thing is a lot worse than thought?
    China is the native land for gossip and rumours. You hear all kinds of things, after a while ignore most of it. Maybe in a year or two we'll get to know what was really going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

February tenth has come and gone, is the extended New Year's break over or will it continue?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adammil1 View Post
    The WSJ did an article last week about a 33yr old optometrist from Wuhan who was arrested when he first started posting warnings on social media about how bad this thing was back in early January. I guess at some point the govt decided to let him go but the guy soon got the disease from s patient and died a week ago. Poor guy left behind a little one and pregnant wife..I have to think if this thing is taking down otherwise healthy 33yr olds it must be pretty bad.

They were reporting on an Epoch Times article
    One case doesn’t tell you anything really, tho that one is worrying and sad, but it’s not any “evidence” of anything.

As to the epoch times, well, I don’t think they have reporters, so I’d never trust anything from them.

There have been some reports on the BBC however of elderly patients dying at home and being quickly cremated, with no determination of cause of death, so the actual death toll could be considerably higher.

I really doubt the Chinese government would take these extreme measures as an “exercise” knowing it will have serious effects on the economy. It is a big boulder tho, and once it starts rolling it’s going to do some damage.

I’d say the spread of this “novel corona virus” on the cruse ship off Yokohama is the real best evidence of its transmissibility and as we see the mortality in the known victims, it’s lethality. It’s kind of a horrible but perfect test. Incredible and unique situation that you could never intentionally do. Isolate 3000 people with a virus and watch it spread, monitor closely, and extract them as they get sick and treat with the best of modern medicine. Just kinda mind blowing if you think about it!!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    I really doubt the Chinese government would take these extreme measures as an “exercise” knowing it will have serious effects on the economy.
    You don't know the Chinese governments very well Once they get a bug up their ass, there's no stopping them

Quote Originally Posted by robvds View Post
    February tenth has come and gone, is the extended New Year's break over or will it continue?
    In Shanghai, it's worse A few days ago maybe 1/3 of everything was open. Now it's 10% or less. Seems they are quite concerned about people coming back and bringing bugs with them. Some other places I know of are even more freaked out and worse.

Let's hope it gets better soon.
    Last edited by EmanuelGoldstein; 02-11-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watching g-coder's site (thanks, g-man !)

Live data of CoronaVirus

the number of new daily cases is down from 4,000 to 2,000 and falling steadily, so let's hope things will get back to normal soon ... like, tomorrow or the next day would be nice !

@cyanide, if you look at the "new cases" graph, seems like they may have got a handle on how to contain these epidemics. If it was somewhat a test, then they learned a lot. The guys at the top are pretty smart, I wouldn't put it past them. Plus with the economy slowish recently, this is a great excuse to the masses. Two birds, one rock

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the number of new daily cases is down from 4,000 to 2,000 and falling steadily, so let's hope things will get back to normal soon ... like, tomorrow or the next day would be nice !
    Seems they forgot to tell the Philippine government that it's getting better. We're locked down tighter than a tick's ass. A fellow PM member placed an order with me a few days ago so we were gonna meet in Taiwan tomorrow. I booked my flight from Clark Air Force Base to Taipei with a 24 hour turn around. I get an email a few minutes later letting me know incoming flights on Cebu Pacific from Taiwan may be subject to a 15 day quarantine.

I have to wonder if the government looked at a map and realized Taiwan is not in China.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Seems they forgot to tell the Philippine government that it's getting better. We're locked down tighter than a tick's ass.
    Shanghai same, and smaller places (from hearsay) are worse. I'm just watching that "new cases" graph.

Seems like large jumps in the overall numbers, not reflected by the new cases numbers. I wonder if they are gradually reconciling the propaganda with the reality so that everything matches in the end ?

Anyway, as long as new cases keeps dropping there is hope we can go outside some day.

I get an email a few minutes later letting me know incoming flights on Cebu Pacific from Taiwan may be subject to a 15 day quarantine.
    At least they let you know. Earlier they weren't telling anyone ahead of time. Oops

I have to wonder if the government looked at a map and realized Taiwan is not in China.
    Apparently the Phillipines has three cases. Sounds like they have no intention of getting more. Looks like you'll have to stick with the local fleshpots for a while

11. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Umm, this is a gamble but you might try now. Domestic shipping is really fast right now, maybe because no one is doing it ? And deliveries are not allowed ? But if you meet them at the gate, it's quick.

gatesign.jpg

Damned if I know but you might try. It'd be a risk but later on stuff is going to be way backed up.

The g-coder site just went wacked, it claims 15,000 new cases yesterday but that number is not supported by the breakdown numbers, which show like a thousand new cases total so who knows

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Short note if anyone is following g-coder's site (there are others as well) : on the 13th they changed the reporting method, "confirmed" used to mean by blood test, now it means "shows the symptoms of" which is total crap, why they do this shit astounds me, mentally retarded people should not be allowed out of the house, everything after the 13th is useless.

Talk about "pull defeat out of the jaws of victory", Chinese people have mastered that to the nth degree. No competition anywhere on the planet.

14. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Short note if anyone is following g-coder's site (there are others as well) : on the 13th they changed the reporting method, "confirmed" used to mean by blood test, now it means "shows the symptoms of" which is total crap, why they do this shit astounds me, mentally retarded people should not be allowed out of the house, everything after the 13th is useless.
    Yeah, they pulled that BS and announced it on Asian News Network and Al Jazeera today and managed to through everyone here in panic mode claiming 15K new cases in one day. The stores are empty of sanitizers and alcohol as well as baby wipes and face mask. The quarantine center is in fort Magsaysay were the drug addicts that have not been executed yet are housed. With 20,000 drug addicts executed without trial since 2016 I think I would rather take my chances outside the quarantine area.

I drove to the base and at all entrances they have health workers taking temps and vitals. What used to take 15 seconds to pass through now has a 3 hour wait.

One of the members here ask about how my shipping from China was a few days ago when Lazada sent the email telling me it was in transit from Guangzhou. So far the tracking is showing it still at carrier's facility in Guangzhou. Estimated delivery is Feb 26th - Mar 6th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I pulled the trigger yesterday so I am hoping things are moving. The first Alibaba contract came as shipment within 90 days so I had that changed. All he could change it to was 7 days but he says ASAP for in stock item. After payment he said I will get tracking number before the 17th. Are Saturday and Sunday work days in China? My Bank froze my credit card because it found my activity suspicious but luckily my other card with the same bank worked. When the seller sent me a pic of the waybill to confirm the address I saw insurance value 0.00! He says his agent quoted without insurance and it never occurred to me to specify. I found the 251 USD to be steep enough to have included insurance. I told him I wanted insurance and I would pay more for it, we will see what comes back today.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What used to take 15 seconds to pass through now has a 3 hour wait.
    At least it was open I'm getting tired of going to the grocery store for entertainment ...

One of the members here ask about how my shipping from China was a few days ago when Lazada sent the email telling me it was in transit from Guangzhou. So far the tracking is showing it still at carrier's facility in Guangzhou. Estimated delivery is Feb 26th - Mar 6th.
    Domestic shipping right now is very fast .... I guess no one is doing it so there's excess capacity. The situation is odd because companies have to pay employees even if they can't be open, so lots of places are staffed but the doors are closed. They play cards or watch movies on their phones. (The ones who are not quarantined ... if you have been outside the city, when you come back have to stay home for 14 days. There are people watching at the gates ... you could get around this but most people don't want to chance it. It's fairly effective.) Delivery places are allowed but they can't go into buildings in most cases, so they stand out front and call you to come out and get the package. That's okay, better than nothing.

The big if here is the airplanes. Mail is closed because it goes on passenger jets but freight, I guess that's up to DHL and Fedex and the like. So whatever they decide to do will determine what happens shipping-wise.

Are Saturday and Sunday work days in China?
    Sometimes. Most likely they will be when this blows over, at least for a while.

My Bank froze my credit card ...
    Yup. Let's say Bank of America "security" is the stoopidest people on the planet, right after the nitwits here that decided "confirmed" means "looks like to me."

Possibly other banks are stoopider but that's the one I have most experience with. And I wouldn't bet on any of the other idiots, either.

China banks send you an sms then hold the transaction if there is what they think 'suspicious activity'. They don't close your whole goddamned world down, then make you jump through flaming hoops to get the fucking account unfrozen.

Banks ae nothing but worthless assholes, incompetent, irrelevant and immaterial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seller just emailed me and updated ''trade assurance order'' to include insurance for an extra 15USD and I have paid. I will sleep better now. Is it normal to not quote insurance on air freight? Normally insurance companies are pushy rather than shy!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This chart is not quite as user-friendly as g-coder's because it's all stacked into one smaller graphic, but at least the place is competent -

2020-02-16: Epidemic Mitigation Time Forecast (Covid-19) - Covid-19: Epidemic Reports

"Due to the adding of clinical diagnosis to confirmed cases since February 13, our model will use the “confirmed + suspected” cases instead of the original “confirmed” cases as our variables. Data from February 09, 10 and 11 were removed from the model because cases were underreported and then included all at once on February 12."

And the numbers here add up correctly, who'da thunk it ? Communism is not the problem. These expletive deleted buffoons could break the ears off a brass donkey.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least it was open I'm getting tired of going to the grocery store for entertainment ...
    What,,, They don't have any Walmarts that are strikingly similar to the U.S. capitol building selling knock off Versace and Rolex near you? I always have a good time watching the "Elitist" Chinese negotiating the price of a $10 Rolex copy then drive away in some $500K supercar.

img_0634.jpg

Zhongshan Walmart
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What,,, They don't have any Walmarts that are strikingly similar to the U.S. capitol building selling knock off Versace and Rolex near you?
    Walmart sells those down south ? We're high-class now, gotta do the "psst ! hey buddy, got any watches in the back ?" thing.

But we can't go anywhere now anyhow ... well, you can go but when you get there you aren't allowed in. If they take my temperature one more time I think they'll wear it out. Deliveries are happening tho - all the boxes in a pile out front, people come down to get them. Don't know about international.

btw, if you spring for $25, you can get pretty decent copies, you cheapskate They'll fool 90% of the viewing public easy. I gave one to all my friends then got bored with it. A Rolex makes a cute novelty gift.

22. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I was promised a tracking number before the 17th and it has not happened, I hope I will not regret this adventure.