What's new
What's new

Alternatives to Quick Books

Joe Miranda

Titanium
Since Intuit has annouced that it will no longer process any credit charges for gun purchases I would like to demonstrate by disapproval of their action by switching bookkeeping software. Wondering if anyone has found an alternative software that offers a straighforward integration of information.

I use QuickBooks for my accounting, but I process credit cards through the software I got from my bank. As far as QB, it just gets entered the same as a check deposit.

Since Intuit has annouced that it will no longer process any credit charges for gun purchases I would like to demonstrate by disapproval of their action by switching bookkeeping software. Wondering if anyone has found an alternative software that offers a straighforward integration of information.

Wow, I never heard about that. As if it is any of their business what our business is.

I too just use a credit card terminal through FirstData in Canada. There is no way they could even know what is being purchased. How does Quickbooks know? Do you have line items referring to guns in plain text?

Does that mean your info is "in the cloud" ?

Yes, most, if not all, of my business info is stored on servers somewhere. From bank accounts to emails and probably every phone call I’ve ever made and text I’ve sent.

Certainly not as secure as eliminating internet in my business but a majority of my clients are remote and everyone I work with work through the inter-webs in some way or another. I just try to be vigilant in creating backups and attempt to use “good” security techniques.

Re-read my last post and thought that my first sentence could be read as flippant or trying to defend my use of internet-based services. Not my intention. It's worked for me for the last four years.

Thanks guys - I am looking seriously at Patriot Software. I first heard of them several years ago and looked at them again - very impressive. They are growing very fast and have some very interesting and helpful payroll service offers. Their customer satisfaction is at the top of the charts in reviews.

And just to be clear - I do not make gun related products. This is not about the decision hurting my business in an immediate way - I oppose Intuit's decision on principle and on that principle I will stop using their products and services.

Certainly not defending Intuit here, but for clarification, latest reports that I've read indicate that it is online transactions they won't process. This is the statement to which I refer:

"“The policies apply to payments received by companies in industries that are regulated by federal and state law, such as sales of pharmaceuticals, tobacco sales, pet sales, alcohol sales and firearms and weapons sales,” Intuit said in a blog post. “Our company does NOT prohibit ANY of these regulated industries – including the firearms industry – from using QuickBooks for payment processing.”

Intuit also said many of the transactions from its “bank partners” require customers to be “present to swipe their credit card,” but the company cannot verify a customer was present during online transactions."

Again, not defending Intuit, nor trying to talk anyone into or out of using their products/services.

Certainly not defending Intuit here, but for clarification, latest reports that I've read indicate that it is online transactions they won't process. This is the statement to which I refer:

"“The policies apply to payments received by companies in industries that are regulated by federal and state law, such as sales of pharmaceuticals, tobacco sales, pet sales, alcohol sales and firearms and weapons sales,” Intuit said in a blog post. “Our company does NOT prohibit ANY of these regulated industries – including the firearms industry – from using QuickBooks for payment processing.”

Intuit also said many of the transactions from its “bank partners” require customers to be “present to swipe their credit card,” but the company cannot verify a customer was present during online transactions."

Again, not defending Intuit, nor trying to talk anyone into or out of using their products/services.

THANK YOU for that clarification!
I was about to ask what exactly they was banning?

Doesn't sound out of line - does it?

Besides, this must be for them actually processing the C/C's themselves anyhow. (?)
I'm not familiar with that end of it, but I would expect that they offer that....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The problem with their premise, at least as far as firearms are concerned, is that the background check and ID happen at the point of reception for online sales, not the point of sale. If I order a firearm online, it has to be shipped to an FFL holder near me where I will pick it up. They will have me fill out the relevant paperwork, do the background check, and apply any relevant waiting period, usually for a fee. Buying online doesn't make straw man sales any easier than buying in person.

I am not happy with Intuit, after 25 years they are going 'rental' only, but when I went to look into this, I found few notes of it on, shall we say, non inflammatory sites

They have apparently changed a policy that affects many product, not just guns, they have apparently done some stupid things, but I do not think banning gun sales is one.

Even what they have done seems stupid. I think they will fix it

People, check multiple sources before going all crazy, this is, at this point, a Fox only story

One thing I'm still a little foggy on here. If I were using QB to process my credit cards, how do they know it's a gun related sale? If I have a customer pay by CC, it could be a valve body for a jet, it could be a bracket for a laser mount, a wing spar, or an AR15 lower receiver. How do they know?

I haven't read all the discussion, but Wave is an alternative to QB. Its free but charges for bill pay I think. I switched from the PC based QB basic (like 2012) to Wave. Wave is much better, but then again I wasn't really using QB for anything more than generating invoices.

One thing I'm still a little foggy on here. If I were using QB to process my credit cards, how do they know it's a gun related sale? If I have a customer pay by CC, it could be a valve body for a jet, it could be a bracket for a laser mount, a wing spar, or an AR15 lower receiver. How do they know?

There is so little info, because it is a non problem

there was some kind of policy change at Intuit, that may have been mis implemented, or soemthing, and a couple of Bubba's couldnt' sell, err, something, online, and of course went to Brietbart rather than try to fix the problem

There is so little info, because it is a non problem

there was some kind of policy change at Intuit, that may have been mis implemented, or soemthing, and a couple of Bubba's couldnt' sell, err, something, online, and of course went to Brietbart rather than try to fix the problem

The way you word your generalization sounds racist. Except since you're talking about what you assume is white male conservative southerners it's no problem.

If you made the exact same statement and just switched a couple words to reference blacks instead......Well, you know.

The way you word your generalization sounds racist. Except since you're talking about what you assume is white male conservative southerners it's no problem.

If you made the exact same statement and just switched a couple words to reference blacks instead......Well, you know.

Deal with it

Bubba's are not a race

oh, and how about addressing the truth or lack thereof of the point of this thread, rather than whining

Back